RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
This is silly.

You might just add: “Provided they make any at all!”

People need to stop buying into the nonsense the haters are bandying about. Nobody says “Provided the Silverado actually has 400 miles range…” Nobody says “Provided Rivian cancels their MaxPack battery”… though Rivian did make a big change with that.

Just stop. It’s annoying and pointless.
I'd like to share your confidence about the 500 mile version being set in stone but it's not silly when you take into account Elon's comments about range and the not so great energy density of the in-house 4680 cell.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'd like to share your confidence about the 500 mile version being set in stone but it's not silly when you take into account Elon's comments about range and the not so great energy density of the in-house 4680 cell.
You mean the energy density of a few cells out of Teslas first test battery production facility?

Tesla (Musk and Baglino) said specifically that they were focused on scaling first and battery chemistry and density would come later.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I just refuse to treat my bike as anything but useful. It's not a fanciful gem. It just happens to be light, can stop on the steepest hill, and yeah, probably cost more to replace than my macbook pro. But it's there as a vehicle, and I'm not going to let fear stop me from using it.

And who's an idiot enough to make carbon fiber saddlebags? Well... Who do you think?

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just refuse to treat my bike as anything but useful. It's not a fanciful gem. It just happens to be light, can stop on the steepest hill, and yeah, probably cost more to replace than my macbook pro. But it's there as a vehicle, and I'm not going to let fear stop me from using it.

And who's an idiot enough to make carbon fiber saddlebags? Well... Who do you think?

-Crissa
I don’t fear using my bike. I beat the hell out of them when I use them, thats what they are for.

I just don’t want some idiot cutting the lock on my bike rack and walking off with it. It’s happened to me before—$10k of bikes stolen off my car in front of a friends home in a good neighborhood.

The vault is my insurance that I get to break my things on my terms.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
You mean the energy density of a few cells out of Teslas first test battery production facility?

Tesla (Musk and Baglino) said specifically that they were focused on scaling first and battery chemistry and density would come later.
No, I mean the cells that are shipping in Model Y SR's to customers. That is the first generation 4680 cell, it's not a pre-production cell. Of course energy density improvements will be made in future generations but as you state they are focused on scaling first and it looks like there's still a long way to go before they achieve that.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Which come from their test production line.
A cell that is shipped in a vehicle to paying customers is not a pre-production/test cell, they are the first generation of 4680 cells. The Limiting Factor goes over the details in this video:

Sponsored