kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
1000v charging does ease my fears of the CT being outdated in just a few years forward with battery and charging infrastructure advancements. I love the thought of a truck lasting 40 years but the reality is it will be a technologic dinosaur by then as well.... Hopefully things like upgradeable MCU's *deep* into the future will be an option for the CT.
I mean my parents just bought a Chevy Silverado. That truck isn't significantly different than pickups from 40 years ago (the 80's) except for power windows and a few things.

So in 40 years of there is no one pushing the status quo then the 2023 CT isn't guaranteed to be a technologic dinosaur.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I mean my parents just bought a Chevy Silverado. That truck isn't significantly different than pickups from 40 years ago (the 80's) except for power windows and a few things.

So in 40 years of there is no one pushing the status quo then the 2023 CT isn't guaranteed to be a technologic dinosaur.
Either it’ll be a Dino or it’ll be serving it’s purpose as a post apocalyptic battle wagon. One or the other.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Just a thought that came to my mind today, earlier today. You can’t steal the idea Tesla because I freely give it. If the put their cars in the correct order and snap a picture we see the S3XY. If they elevate the shot and add the Semi to the end after Y it should look like S3XY! With the Semi making a very very large exclamation point.
SEXY CARS
Model S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck, ATV, Roadster 2, Semi.
They did this exact line up at an event... but cannot remember which one it was... I think it was the one that everyone sat in cars in a drive-in theater kind of setup? (due to Pandemic social distancing)

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
It might peak at 1,000 kW and drop quickly. Tesla has been working on increasing charging speed with new battery chemistries.
I think I disagree, there is a C-Rate cell level limitation on charging (otherwise you will damage the cell):
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck 1000V Architecture + V4 Supercharging Confirmed!! ⚡️ "It's Going to be Used for Cybertruck Too" - Elon Musk 1669956023398

C-Rate (peak 2.5) of the new Model S Plaid is even lower (18650 cells):
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck 1000V Architecture + V4 Supercharging Confirmed!! ⚡️ "It's Going to be Used for Cybertruck Too" - Elon Musk 1669956370814

Semi has 1000kWh so its about 12-13x the amount of batteries as a Model 3 LR. Model 3 LR does about 3.0 peak C-Rate. That means Semi peak power @ charging while maintaining the same peak C-Rate would be 12 x 250kW = 3 MW. Average C-Rate is usually between 1.4-1.7 ~125kW. That's not factoring in all the massive cooling required for the Semi and it probably gets a lot hotter a lot faster.

That being said. Cybertruck may see a peak charging power of ~625kW (if 187kWh size pack). We are looking at around ~500kW peak if the pack size is 150kWh. Tesla will of course dial that pack to increase longevity of the battery pack. Would love to see CT hit speeds about 400kW, its certainly possible! But 1000kW is far-fetched.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That being said. Cybertruck may see a peak charging power of ~625kW (if 187kWh size pack). We are looking at around ~500kW peak if the pack size is 150kWh. Tesla will of course dial that pack to increase longevity of the battery pack. Would love to see CT hit speeds about 400kW, its certainly possible! But 1000kW is far-fetched.
With their current battery chemistries, this is correct.

We’re hopefully going to see some of the new battery chemistry changes Tesla discussed on battery day come in and help us out here.

Also, there is a lot of wiggle room in what Musk said. They were talking about the new cables and the capabilities of those cables and said the Cybertruck would use that. That doesn’t necessarily mean the Cybertruck can accept that much juice.

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag

We’re hopefully going to see some of the new battery chemistry changes Tesla discussed on battery day come in and help us out here.

Also, there is a lot of wiggle room in what Musk said. They were talking about the new cables and the capabilities of those cables and said the Cybertruck would use that. That doesn’t necessarily mean the Cybertruck can accept that much juice.
This is true! I hope we see some awesome chemistry's that push the c-rate envelope. Not a great start with current chemistry on MIT Model Y 4680 but the sandbagging is probably real.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is true! I hope we see some awesome chemistry's that push the c-rate envelope. Not a great start with current chemistry on MIT Model Y 4680 but the sandbagging is probably real.
Yep.

Though I don’t think they are sandbagging so much as being careful and completing each step in order. Volume production first. Then special sauce.

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, model 3 and model S
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
Who knows? By the time we actually get our trucks they’ll have V16 charging.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Yup, charge might be 1MW 900V charge but to feed structural pack made of dual 450V lines of cells and drive train of 450V.

Last edited:

Kirsten

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Update: 1000V architecture / V4 supercharging for Cybertruck was confirmed during the semi live event!

Posted by @firsttruck:

Here is link to Tesla Semi Delivery Event but the video is cued to start at info on SuperCharger V4 MegaCharger and also Cybertruck charging.

Tesla Semi Delivery Event
2020 Dec 1

-------

Exact moment that Elon confirms 1000V Architecture / V4 Supercharging for Cybertruck too:

This is awesome! I love that the Cybertruck will be able to charge fast! Huge selling point, especially when towing or hauling a heavy load. I agree - a huge round of applause to everyone who worked countless hours to make this happen!
The semi is awesome and I cannot wait to see them on the road! A huge thank you to everyone who made this possible. You have changed history and may even reverse the course of global warming. So happy to see companies like Pepsi investing in this technology. I hope it brings their operating costs down. And I hope freight companies follow. Way to go!!!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Impressive.
Your calculator is kind of lame.

1,000 kW is at best peak charging rate. Look at the charts @samroy92 posted above for an idea of how charging rates vary from start to finish. Average charge speed will be much lower than peak charge speed. It is unlikely the Cybertruck average charge speed will be greater than 300kW… even that is assuming some pretty big advances in battery chemistry

Kirsten

First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I wonder if they are going to offer a newer version of the at home chargers. My guess is the Cybertruck battery is going to be a little larger than we thought. I wonder how long it will take to charge at home.
Carlos,
This is a good question but what is ingenious is that when you are towing or hauling a load you will be able to charge fast for long trips. When you park at home you can charge overnight. In what scenario would you need to charge that fast if you were at home? And, if you did need to, you could charge at a level 4 charger. I suspect the cost to install a level 4 charger at home would outweigh the benefits.
Sponsored