firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Megacharger is just a v4 Supercharger. V4 Supercharger can operate at 500v or 1000v. If it’s only operating at 500v, it has half the charging speed. Any Tesla can use the v4 charger…

Every single Tesla can use the v4 charger. The only special sauce here that the Cybertruck can have in common with the semi is unlocking the full capacity which requires 1000v charging. I don’t see how they could mean anything other than that the Cybertruck.
Yes, I also think what Elon said applies to Cybertruck 1MW 1,000V charging but may not mean the a 1,000V drive-train.

The actual battery pack and drive-train in Tesla Cybertruck could at 500V with battery pack setup as dual 500V cell sections. If 1MW 1,000V charger, charge the two 500V sections in series but if lower power V3 Supercharger or home charger connect the dual battery sections in parallel 500V.

The GM Hummer has a similar system.

--------------------------------------

High-voltage EV battery packs: benefits and challenges. More voltage, more better?
Posted February 24, 2021 by Jeffrey Jenkins
https://chargedevs.com/features/hig...fits-and-challenges-more-voltage-more-better/

Delphi Technologies recently said it will supply 800 V inverters to three out of the top four global premium automakers in the next few years.

Kia and Hyundai have both released details of upcoming 800 V architectures, and

GM said that its 2022 Hummer EV will have the “unique ability to switch its battery pack from its native 400 V to 800 V for charging.”

--------------------------------------
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think the tri motor came from the Cybertruck, but the Cybertruck might no longer use the design. Once you have the quad-motor, which of the triumverate - range, performance, cost - does it reign in? It is cheaper than the quad, but worse performance. It will have more range than the quad, but not the dual motor. And it won't beat the dual or the single for cost.

So it seems to be doomed in that design case. A niche that maybe we'll see again when they're making a million of them.

Still, we don't know until we know.

-Crissa
The Semi tri-motor with clutchs might be OK for Semi because most Semis are operated on paved roads and do not go off-roading. Maybe gravel roads or graded dirt roads but not recreational off-roading like some Cybertruck owners.

Also the higher price of the Semi can better pay for the added complexity of tri-motor with clutch system and the huge number of miles Semis are usually driven benefit more from the increased efficiency.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think the tri motor came from the Cybertruck, but the Cybertruck might no longer use the design. Once you have the quad-motor, which of the triumverate - range, performance, cost - does it reign in? It is cheaper than the quad, but worse performance. It will have more range than the quad, but not the dual motor. And it won't beat the dual or the single for cost.

So it seems to be doomed in that design case. A niche that maybe we'll see again when they're making a million of them.

Still, we don't know until we know.

-Crissa
Same clutch design could work for dual motor.

That said, for towing they might want the power tri motor has and the range running long distances with a single motor offers. I think it’s a better design than the quad motor setup for most people.

But you’re right, it is in a weird spot on the matrix. I think perhaps depends on whether they can make a dual motor truck perform well enough towing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Semi tri-motor with clutchs might be OK for Semi because most Semis are operated on paved roads and do not go off-roading. Maybe gravel roads or graded dirt roads but not recreational off-roading like some Cybertruck owners.

Also the higher price of the Semi can better pay for the added complexity of tri-motor with clutch system and the huge number of miles Semis are usually driven benefit more from the increased efficiency.
Likely depends on how much more efficient it is. As you suggest efficiency is more important with the Semi. Ultimately it’s just a matter of whether the clutch is less expensive than the batteries it displaces. So if the clutches increase range enough to eliminate enough cells the clutch pays for itself.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Interesting. It is almost as if Elon is adamant that the truck is going to better all other manufacturers in every way Tesla can manage. Better battery, better motors, better computer systems, better power management. The comments above that mention a 6 foot bed instead of the 6.5 foot bed do concern me. If it isn't going to extend to 8 feet with the tailgate and tonneau cover closed, 6.5 is a compromise. But 6 feet? You may as well give the workers over to the Silverado. I've been taken by the cybertruck since I put money down at the beginning. But that elusive 1.5 feet has me sad... more so if the bed length shrinks. Really! I cannot believe that Mary Barra is going to produce an electric that will have more bed capacity and Elon is going to take it lying down.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
MW charger confirmed. Basically same chargers. Hmm.. didn't some of us suggest as much? ;)
Cybertruck will not be charging at MW levels because the battery will not be large enough to accept that much current. I does sound like it will charge at 1000V at Version 4 Superchargers though.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. Plus towing will be easier since you can charge up in around 10 minutes and be off again.
C'mon, people, that's not what Elon said. The amount of energy a battery can accept is limited by the battery. Making it compatible with the same chargers the Semi will use does NOT imply the Cybertruck will be able to accept Semi levels of current!

Please stop with this nonsense!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s all we use to charge our Model Y. It easily charges the batteries overnight. No need for a wall connector and the expenses involved.
The Wall Connector is not more expensive to install than a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The NEMA wall outlet actually requires one more conductor. Either solution works but the Wall Connector is a superior solution. I've used both regularly.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1000v charging does ease my fears of the CT being outdated in just a few years forward with battery and charging infrastructure advancements. I love the thought of a truck lasting 40 years but the reality is it will be a technologic dinosaur by then as well.
All true, but a new Dodge Ram, GMC Sierra or F-150 is a technologic dinosaur as soon as you drive it off the lot!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mean my parents just bought a Chevy Silverado. That truck isn't significantly different than pickups from 40 years ago (the 80's) except for power windows and a few things.

So in 40 years of there is no one pushing the status quo then the 2023 CT isn't guaranteed to be a technologic dinosaur.
Tesla will push their own status quo, even if no one else does. I guarantee the Cybertruck will be a dinosaur in 40 years. That doesn't mean it won't be able to do the same jobs it always did, just that the newer models will be even more amazing.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
For those
I think I disagree, there is a C-Rate cell level limitation on charging (otherwise you will damage the cell):
1669956023398.png

C-Rate (peak 2.5) of the new Model S Plaid is even lower (18650 cells):
1669956370814.png

Semi has 1000kWh so its about 12-13x the amount of batteries as a Model 3 LR. Model 3 LR does about 3.0 peak C-Rate. That means Semi peak power @ charging while maintaining the same peak C-Rate would be 12 x 250kW = 3 MW. Average C-Rate is usually between 1.4-1.7 ~125kW. That's not factoring in all the massive cooling required for the Semi and it probably gets a lot hotter a lot faster.

That being said. Cybertruck may see a peak charging power of ~625kW (if 187kWh size pack). We are looking at around ~500kW peak if the pack size is 150kWh. Tesla will of course dial that pack to increase longevity of the battery pack. Would love to see CT hit speeds about 400kW, its certainly possible! But 1000kW is far-fetched.
C rate is due to internal resistance as is heat generated. Yes semi can charge at high amperage because of large number of cells, however this does not translate to CT any more than Model 3 or X charge rates do. CT will be using 4680 batteries and we know they have lower internal resistance than 2170 or 18650 cells due to battery day slides saying so. We don't know the actual value.

1000v pack architecture will also significantly change pack C rate.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
C'mon, people, that's not what Elon said. The amount of energy a battery can accept is limited by the battery. Making it compatible with the same chargers the Semi will use does NOT imply the Cybertruck will be able to accept Semi levels of current!

Please stop with this nonsense!
Please see Munro video about 4680 cell evolution. They claim that latest 4680 cells used in Model Y are different than earlier ones. They called them semi solid state cells.
A solid state lithium cell could have a much higher cell voltage....
It could have very low internal resistance...
Elon said CT gets 1MW charging. They never said CT would have 1kV architecture but it would be outside NACS specs to do 1 MW charging @ 500v.
Besides if they are making 1kV invertors for Semi than using same part for CT makes sense.

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
Not sure why people have a hard time understanding that the CT will have 1Kw charging when it has the same tri-motor powertrain as the semi.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Not sure why people have a hard time understanding that the CT will have 1Kw charging when it has the same tri-motor powertrain as the semi.
Its 1MW or 1 mega watt.... and the amount of motors or powertrain doesn't matter... the 1000 volt architecture does. That means 1kV inverters and even a single motor CT would be able to charge at 1MW.