JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck MY Prius Merc VW
Country flag
The high CT bed sidewalls and long angled rear roof glass will help a lot with creating clean airflow even with a open vault cover, provided nothing is sticking out.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is why the adjustable air suspension is so important. Crank it down to the lowest level for highway cruising to increase range. Crank it up when you go off-road. Super important in an EV truck!
The simulation is about 50mm (2") higher than the lowest CT height we've seen. The 50mm will help, but the other parts of the model like wheel aches and wells etc, are unlikely to be the same in the production model. In particular having RWS means they can tighten up the front wheel well dimensions considerably and rear wheels need to be shrouded and have aero mudguards to guide airflow.

Plus that air curtain from the front. The air curtain can actually be used for better form air on the sides of the vehicle when it seperates off the rear.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
The high CT bed sidewalls and long angled rear roof glass will help a lot with creating clean airflow even with a open vault cover, provided nothing is sticking out.
I'd love to see a CFD simulation that compares the CT with vault cover open vs closed. I agree the bed is so protected that open vault cover might be totally fine. Those side wings are awesome.

Again, I'd argue the reason the side wings exist is for aerodynamics, not for looks. The look/style of the CT is a derivative of aerodynamic design, not the other way around. (Except the sharp angles...that was just to make it look digital/futuristic)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the side wings were are leftover from just making a sharp edged wedge shape with the right proportions to slice through the air like a stealth bomber. (Like the side picture on my first post)

Even the roof apex angles and side window slant aren't random. The design equation was how do we get a polygon with the least amount of sides to slip through the air. :cool:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I think you may be misreading things. I see the following in your links:
"<Snip>
Good catch!
Went back over my reading history and reread. It was a misread.
Thx.

CYBERBACKPACK