First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
While visiting a drive-through car-wash today there was a nice lightweight pick-up truck in line ahead of me, nice accessories, nice lift kit, etc.
However, when the truck pulled forward to enter the wash, the tires were too wide to fit into the guide rails. The driver press the gas, tires spinning, and wedged the truck tires into the guide rails but the fit was too tight for the mechanical chains to usher the nice truck through the wash! The driver had to throw it in reverse, spin the truck tires out of the bind, and receive a refund.

And I thought to myself...So I won't be able to drive my Cybertruck through the automatic, touch-less, drive-through car-wash!? Not sure that's the best idea for a stainless-steel vehicle anyway...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And I thought to myself...So I won't be able to drive my Cybertruck through the automatic, touch-less, drive-through car-wash!? Not sure that's the best idea for a stainless-steel vehicle anyway...
Lots of carwashes have different width limitations. A good rinse to remove oxidizers and blurriness from the windows is never a bad idea.

-Crissa

OP
OP

CWiley

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Contractor
Lots of carwashes have different width limitations. A good rinse to remove oxidizers and blurriness from the windows is never a bad idea.

-Crissa
That's good news!

Pilot4hire

First Name
Woor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Roadster and Cybertruck
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
While visiting a drive-through car-wash today there was a nice lightweight pick-up truck in line ahead of me, nice accessories, nice lift kit, etc.
However, when the truck pulled forward to enter the wash, the tires were too wide to fit into the guide rails. The driver press the gas, tires spinning, and wedged the truck tires into the guide rails but the fit was too tight for the mechanical chains to usher the nice truck through the wash! The driver had to throw it in reverse, spin the truck tires out of the bind, and receive a refund.

In Colorado Springs they have a new car wash with rails, this is new am I’m sure they will be updating all car washes.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I never thought about that. I have seen some pretty big vehicles go through the car wash.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I wash my little Nissan van once a year whether it needs it or not. We don't have the salt issue here like Yankee land so I just let the dealer wash it when I get my scheduled oil change. The CT was made to be pressure washed and forgotten about.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

It's pretty common for lifted trucks to have aftermarket wheels with non-OEM offsets to give the truck a wider stance. Just wider tires could potentially cause a problem too. That was probably the case here as I imagine most car washes are designed to accommodate common light-duty pickups.

I plan on keeping my Cybertruck sleek (aerodynamically speaking) to maximize range and freedom. No aerodynamically dirty accessories poking out into the airstream I rarely use either. So no wheels with wider off-set, etc. That said, I'll probably wash it in my driveway with a long-handled truck washing brush. Better exercise than going for a walk because your entire body gets a little workout.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
My F350 super duty with service boxes and a lift gate fits through every car wash I've taken it to. How freakishly huge was this truck in your story?