cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Rivian's will be out this year before CT. We should see some towing efficiency numbers from those vehicles and we will get a good early numbers on how much range is reduced for a vehicle that can actually tow a decent load. I expect about 40 to 50% reduction in range when doing moderate towing on somewhat flat terrain. If you are towing heavy loads all uphill, then a drastic reduction in range over what the range is for the CT when it is going uphill with no load (already reduced for a CT unladen due to elevation change).

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Something a lot of folks aren't considering about supercharging is you only super charge to 90% capacity after which the charging rate has to slow down way. Then consider you probably won't be able to time depletion at 10 miles remaining. Then consider if you have to go out of your way at all to supercharge. Say you have a 7000 lb toy hauler with a Dual CT. You might get 150 miles on your charge from home, but only 120 effective miles on subsequent charges or less if you are getting remote. Then on top of all this you will likely have to decouple your trailer to charge. Some people might push the limits due to the hassle. Talk about range anxiety.

My annual long haul vacation is 750 miles each way. I won't be towing anything bulky and or heavy, but it will still be a pain in the butt.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Something a lot of folks aren't considering about supercharging is you only super charge to 90% capacity after which the charging rate has to slow down way. Then consider you probably won't be able to time depletion at 10 miles remaining. Then consider if you have to go out of your way at all to supercharge. Say you have a 7000 lb toy hauler with a Dual CT. You might get 150 miles on your charge from home, but only 120 effective miles on subsequent charges or less if you are getting remote. Then on top of all this you will likely have to decouple your trailer to charge. Some people might push the limits due to the hassle. Talk about range anxiety.

My annual long haul vacation is 750 miles each way. I won't be towing anything bulky and or heavy, but it will still be a pain in the butt.
If this is a once in a year trip, you might consider renting an ICE vehicle for the trip till even better EV solutions appear. A single 1500 mile trip would only be a small percentage of most people’s annual mileage so driving EV the rest of the time would still be advantageous.

OP
OP
AlexD

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
If this is a once in a year trip, you might consider renting an ICE vehicle for the trip till even better EV solutions appear. A single 1500 mile trip would only be a small percentage of most people’s annual mileage so driving EV the rest of the time would still be advantageous.
On a similar vein I have an 18 yr old F150 with high end trim, low miles and if I flogged it I might get $6k. Its not worth selling as it is unmarked, no rust, lived in a garage & been properly serviced. I fortunately have lots of garage space so I should just keep it to fill in any gaps the CT3 may have. What appeals to me most about the CT3 is that it kicks ass.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
They have them behind the factory at Fremont. Check out 3:38 on this video.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guarantee Buc-ee's is "looking at" adding EV chargers. But it seems management have chosen to mull it over quietly without any response publicly.

They know EV's are the future but may wait to see how things pan out in near future as far as what kind of EV chargers to offer before making a commitment.

Also once they get a growing number of RVers pulling travel trailers(again, Buc-ee's is a favorite with RVers, I belong to a couple of Texas RV FB groups and they are always posting pics off their RV's at Buc-ee's) and asking about why they don't have any EV chargers it will get their attention.

I just can't see the world's largest convenience store/gasoline and diesel fuel station chain NOT having EV charging at some point. It's just a matter of WHEN!

For those that have never been to a Buc-ee's or never heard of them a BIG, BIG draw to their business is the CLEAN RESTROOMS! They are cleaned several times a day!

For those who have traveled much and experienced the loathsome restroom conditions at many rest stops, Travel centers, Truck Stops etc., you will want to have a Buc-ee's in your travel itinerary, promise you that!

Last edited:

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Guarantee Buc-ee's is "looking at" adding EV chargers. But it seems management have chosen to mull it over quietly without any response publicly.

They know EV's are the future but may wait to see how things pan out in near future as far as what kind of EV chargers to offer before making a commitment.

Also once they get a growing number of RVers pulling travel trailers(again, Buc-ee's is a favorite with RVers, I belong to a couple of Texas RV FB groups and they are always posting pics off their RV's at Buc-ee's) and asking about why they don't have any EV chargers it will get their attention.

I just can't see the world's largest convenience store/gasoline and diesel fuel station chain NOT having EV charging at some point. It's just a matter of WHEN!

For those that have never been to a Buc-ee's or never heard of them a BIG, BIG draw to their business is the CLEAN RESTROOMS! They are cleaned several times a day!

For those who have traveled much and experienced the loathsome restroom conditions at many rest stops, Travel centers, Truck Stops etc., you will want to have a Buc-ee's in your travel itinerary, promise you that!
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as a tow vehicle fLLpjDW

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as a tow vehicle ztq5mHi

16 Reasons Why Buc-ee’s Puts Every Other Gas Station To Shame
Buc-ee's is amazing and all other gas stations are inferior.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexzakon/buc-ees-beavers

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
A 100 to 120 mile range whilst towing is for me a deal breaker. NBGAA (no bloody good at all)
[/QUOTE]

The EV industry needs to band together to solve this. Someone should make a swappable battery for RVs and trailers. These could be leased/swapped at fuel stations. They will be heavy so there will need to be some sort of crane or forklift at the minimum. Since voltage requirements are different

$900 a week x 10 years for a ice rental. That's almost half way to a CT3.

The other way I look at it is I would have to be really annoyed at charging for 200 hours @ $100 per hour to justify the CT3. 1500 miles /150 is 10 charge stops x 10 years is also half way. Dang it, I really don't want to spend $70k, but I probably will.

Even if you have an ICE back up it has expenses. Insurance, registration, maintenance. For many of us space constraints.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Thanks - Excellent article. So charging won't take an hour. There is still the huge slow down at 80% SOC. That is assuming the 275 Kw/hr type. Should we call it 30 minutes 10-90% for the CT2 and 45 for the CT3

Currently there are none on my route from Kaysville UT to Priest Lake Idaho. That is kind of depressing, but in 2 years I am sure there will be several. Several 150 Kw/per hour options now

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

New business plan. Buy up cheap land directly next to a ton of Buc-ees. Put in reliable super chargers. Let the people charging walk over to Buc-ees for restroom access.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

$900 a week x 10 years for a ice rental. That's almost half way to a CT3.
You are getting a CT for $9000?

$900 a week for a single trip a year is only $900. Over 10 years you are still only at $9000. And because it’s a rental, you have no maintenance, registration, or insurance to deal with.
Sponsored