Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I do not recall your answer making it clear that it was educated guesses; the way I read it was that it was factual, and if I can misread it then others might as well. I only ask for links when it seems to me that someone is stating a fact that I cannot trace. I do not think that is being anal.
The exact statement that you took issue with was, "We don't know the amperage of the 240V outlets, probably 30 amp, enough to run a compressor or welder, etc. "

I'm not sure how you can mistake that for anything but an educated guess. On the air compressor, it's just obvious that Tesla is not going to install a high-volume, contractor grade compressor in a truck. It's obvious it will be suitable for airing up a tire, not framing a house. You could probably use it ocassionally in a pinch for a little finish nailer but I wouldn't plan on having it replace a regular compressor for construction sites.

Do you have any idea how advantageous it is for off-roaders to have a convenient source of compressed air for the long drive home after an off-road excursion that required airing down?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Do you have any idea how advantageous it is for off-roaders to have a convenient source of compressed air for the long drive home after an off-road excursion that required airing down?
Not just after airing down. A few ups and downs or hitting much colder temps or whatever and your tires aren't perfect at keeping the air in, especially when you're giving them workouts over cobbles.

I have to air my Mazda's tires mostly at season changes, but definitely after high altitude changes or going off road or winter storms. And I'm not airing down intentionally!

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If we get CTIS as per the Tesla patent we will get a decent performance custom designed compressor with it.

But; I don't know many trades that don't use airless sprayers and cordless and airless Paslode nail guns. Air powered tools using a hose are pretty unpopular even out here in the bush.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Not just after airing down. A few ups and downs or hitting much colder temps or whatever and your tires aren't perfect at keeping the air in, especially when you're giving them workouts over cobbles.

I have to air my Mazda's tires mostly at season changes, but definitely after high altitude changes or going off road or winter storms. And I'm not airing down intentionally!

-Crissa

I hope Cyber truck comes with a real compressor, those 35s take 3-4 minutes per tires to air up when I had my 600 dollar ARB twin compressor in my old Land Cruiser. Still holding onto that compressor just in case the Tesla version isn't fast. No idea how to power and mount the twin compressor in the CT though.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Can you IMAGINE a passthrough from frunkgate to tailgate? If it can clear the 'Vault' when rolled into its hidey, seein' it! :)
It could be a dreamy feature but I hazard to guess that feature died with the Bollinger. :cry:
There have been alternative ideas proposed here over the years but we don't really talk about them any more because it tends to blow up in people's faces.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Since the Cybertruck rides low by default, maybe a good aftermarket product for the Cybertruck would be seats that suction cup to the roof of the cab so people can enjoy that “commanding view”.

1676325481470.png

Drive by wire makes this all possible. The optional bubble cockpit with fairings and mega-oodles frunk will also be available.
A couple more modifications and you have a full blown MadMax scenario here. Well, minus the flame throwers, electric guitars, and paint sniffers.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If we get CTIS as per the Tesla patent we will get a decent performance custom designed compressor with it.

But; I don't know many trades that don't use airless sprayers and cordless and airless Paslode nail guns. Air powered tools using a hose are pretty unpopular even out here in the bush.
CTIS would have too many warranty claims and not be used by 98% of owners. I had it on a Unimog and it was great, but that truck also had air brakes.

Few in the construction trades are going to be using either air or electricity from this vehicle routinely eight hours a day. That sort of use is the projection of people who aren't familiar with the day to day reality. However in farming, ranching and general property maintenance having mains power and air in the vehicle can be a real convenience.

I hope Cyber truck comes with a real compressor, those 35s take 3-4 minutes per tires to air up when I had my 600 dollar ARB twin compressor in my old Land Cruiser. Still holding onto that compressor just in case the Tesla version isn't fast. No idea how to power and mount the twin compressor in the CT though.
The trick is getting a 120V only compressor. $50 for 1200 Watt unit. Most 12V compressors are 120 watts. Your fancy arb may be 240 watts.

Tesla has not stated what the specs of the compressor are, but it can be derived if you are familiar with how Tesla uses first principles thinking. For example, we know that air suspension is not a high-volume application, and neither is topping up tire pressure after off-roading or plugging a flat tire. A small compressor can do all of these common tasks.

We also know that high volume air compressors are bigger and bulkier and not as efficient at lower volume tasks and they weigh a lot more and require more maintenance. Tesla wants the truck to be as low maintenance as possible and doesn't want to equip every Cybertruck with a heavy high-volume, contractor grade air compressor that takes up valuable space. The most functionality for the least weight and volume is the goal here. This is how I know every Cybertruck will not come equipped with a high-volume, contractor grade air compressor.
Not true. Compressor are either low volume/high pressure or high volume/low pressure. An all purpose truck potentially has use for both. Far more owners are going to be more interested in inflating beach toys than running nail guns. This includes carpenters.

Last edited:

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I wonder how quick you can run the truck battery down while Tig welding off that outlet! :ROFLMAO:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I wonder how quick you can run the truck battery down while Tig welding off that outlet! :ROFLMAO:
TIG welding isn't that bad, arc is much worse, MIG ok. But with many welders limited to 60% duty cycle you only end up with around 12kWh per 8 hour shift, so you could run a welder for 10-12 days straight from a DM CT pack...and still drive 50miles home. Ideally though you'd somehow be able to access the battery DC bus directly at the right low voltage to weld, instead of having to go through the CT inverter and 240V AC and back to DC in the welder again for the arc.

What would be interesting to have is a self replicating CT. You drive it around of red gravel roads (iron ore) and then over some nickel, lithium, etc until a baby CT starts growing in the bed using a combination of additive and subtractive manufacturing, (3D printer and CNC). I mean even with humans, most babies are made in bed, then fed up to size, so why not a truck right? ;)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Don't need No stinkin paint sniffers
Sounds like you need a sniff to calm down a bit?

Has anyone noticed that many painters are also smokers?
There seems to be an imperial link.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
CTIS would have too many warranty claims and not be used by 98% of owners. I had it on a Unimog and it was great, but that truck also had air brakes.

Few in the construction trades are going to be using either air or electricity from this vehicle routinely eight hours a day. That sort of use is the projection of people who aren't familiar with the day to day reality. However in farming, ranching and general property maintenance having mains power and air in the vehicle can be a real convenience.
I always dreamed of having a Unimog as a kid. Even now I look out for Army surplus models. But the biggest drawback is that they are underpowered, uncomfortable and the opposite of frugal.

CTIS on the CT might be a thing though, it's a pretty big deal for an EV in that you can always optimise traction and rolling resistance as you need for the conditions and terrain. This means you get the best possible range in all conditions. It's one thing to get a EV to be efficient on-road on a hard low rolling resistance surface, it's something completely else to get through boggy sand without flotation, and using 3-5x as much energy per mile. CTIS would go a long way to reduce the range loss in a off-road EV. If people use it or not is always an issue, but most won't need a 4x4 95% of the time either. But if they do, CTIS would be perfect.
Sponsored