Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope Cyber truck comes with a real compressor, those 35s take 3-4 minutes per tires to air up when I had my 600 dollar ARB twin compressor in my old Land Cruiser. Still holding onto that compressor just in case the Tesla version isn't fast. No idea how to power and mount the twin compressor in the CT though.
That's a point to favor them using something with more capacity.

It could be a dreamy feature but I hazard to guess that feature died with the Bollinger. :cry:
There have been alternative ideas proposed here over the years but we don't really talk about them any more because it tends to blow up in people's faces.
Was it RAM or GM who showed that on their prototype?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Man, these are the longest replies ever. why am i reading them all?

So far i've gathered this much:
- weak compressor bad
- triangle bad?
- CT needs to have everything standard and it has to beat the lightning in every way or we grab the pitchforks

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Can you IMAGINE a passthrough from frunkgate to tailgate? If it can clear the 'Vault' when rolled into its hidey, seein' it! :)
It could be a dreamy feature but I hazard to guess that feature died with the Bollinger. :cry:
There have been alternative ideas proposed here over the years but we don't really talk about them any more because it tends to blow up in people's faces.
Was it RAM or GM who showed that on their prototype?
The frunkgate to tailgate was Bollinger. And they patented it. See pictures of it below.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676500653997

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676500670916

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676500691487

There was also the Nissan pickup prototype that had a general open space with no divider between the bed and the cabin. This open space then flowed through to the frunk and a glass grill area. I don't think there was a way to pop open the frunk to let transport even longer items. But also this vehicle didn't look like it was designed to transport building materials or other "dirty" items. Surf boards? Sure. But sheetrock or timbers? Nah.

But it was a prototype so it will never see the light of day.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501156170

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501279538

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501292385

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501309014

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501329875

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501351794

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501370531

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501396953

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501408568

The GM prototype has a passthrough but basically just goes to the back of the drivers seat.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501628769

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501645886

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501656300

RAM has what looks kinda like a full passthrough but the grill does not stay open for driving so I don't think this fully counts the same way as Bollingers does.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676501959206

Pass-Through Storage
Ram Track rails extending from the frunk into the cab offer guidance for storing extra-long items like 2x4s. Partitions flip up to keep items in place and retractable hooks offer convenient anchor points.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676502055397

50/50 SPLIT MULTIFUNCTION TAILGATE
Built with accessibility in mind, the powered 50/50 split multifunction tailgate features remote open-and-close functionality and houses bed extender doors on the inside that conveniently flip up to contain the extended length of the truck bed.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676502038350

EXTENDABLE TRUCK BED
Whether extra space for hauling is desired or increased space is needed for a workstation, the powered truck bed extends and retracts in seconds.

But again.... Prototypes... Till I see something for sale, on a lot, I can't really trust that it will/does exist.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just have to know… WTF are these?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? 1676503070086

My Tundra has a 6.5 foot bed and usually I had to tilt the tires to get them into the bed. I’m pretty sure the Silverado bed is only 5 foot long. So are these some weird BMX eBikes with tiny seats? If that’s a proper mountain bike, those tires alone are 5 feet long without the frame in the middle.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Elon has always conveyed this truck as a tough as nails work truck....i expect the compressor to be heavy duty and be at least 10 gallons. 240v should have at least 1 30 amp and 1 50 amp. I could give up side sails for better pricing...adds alot of cost and complexity to the package. Glass roof delete option that saves money would be good for the real work truck ppl.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Glass roof delete option that saves money would be good for the real work truck ppl.
If you want to just break out the glass roof you will have accomplished the delete without needing Tesla's help. Not sure how that will save you money.

Speaking of the roof though, I just ran across this article from 2019 stating that the Rivian would
offer electrochromic glass, as well as several other options, for the roof of its electric pickup truck and SUV
Did this come to pass? Anyone have it or seen it on a Rivian?

I'd be happy with an electrochromic glass roof on my CT but I haven't heard of that option on any Teslas so I won't hold my breath. Of course, I'd also love to see electrochromatic glass on all the windows so I could block out any peeping eyes while I take a nap in the cab. Not sure if the blocked out windows would help or hurt the car prowl possibilities though.

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Elon has always conveyed this truck as a tough as nails work truck....i expect the compressor to be heavy duty and be at least 10 gallons. 240v should have at least 1 30 amp and 1 50 amp. I could give up side sails for better pricing...adds alot of cost and complexity to the package. Glass roof delete option that saves money would be good for the real work truck ppl.
A ten gallon compressor used regularly by less than 1% of owners? Not the sort of feature Tesla would do.

They are also smart enough to know that air tool usage has been in decline for two decades

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Deleting the glass roof casts money. It does not save money. There's an older thread where I went through the cost per square foot and showed this.

-Crissa

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
A ten gallon compressor used regularly by less than 1% of owners? Not the sort of feature Tesla would do.

They are also smart enough to know that air tool usage has been in decline for two decades
I'm just thinking they will need at least 10 gallons for the extreme lift needed to raise and lower the CT. The model S looks to have about 4-5 gallon tank. Rivian R1T looks to be about 10 gallons. Will post a pic for comparison.

Deleting the glass roof casts money. It does not save money. There's an older thread where I went through the cost per square foot and showed this.

-Crissa
I was just saying as a work truck I just wouldnt want glass under my rack and would rather have an option to delete it...if it cost less than cool. Even if a rack had a whole plate covering the glass part...no point having glass too.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck as work truck / for construction work? Screenshot_20230216-125858

slomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm just thinking they will need at least 10 gallons for the extreme lift needed to raise and lower the CT. The model S looks to have about 4-5 gallon tank. Rivian R1T looks to be about 10 gallons. Will post a pic for comparison.

I was just saying as a work truck I just wouldnt want glass under my rack and would rather have an option to delete it...if it cost less than cool. Even if a rack had a whole plate covering the glass part...no point having glass too.
Screenshot_20230216-125858.png
Rivian probably used a 12v compressor at 100-200 watts. Even the Rivian 120V inverter seems to be run off the 12V system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla did something different with CT. Higher power would allow a smaller tank. But I'm pretty invested in the idea of Tesla doing some interesting things with both inverter and compressor. In the end it may be easy and conventional.

If there isn't at least one WTF moment in the full CT reveal I will be disappointed.

OP
OP
First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm actually quite interested in seeing if they're going to have that pull out ramp for the rear trunk lid. With that ramp and the rear wheels being lowered, it will be ready to haul stuff much easier. You can simply push a wheelbarrow up.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I'm actually quite interested in seeing if they're going to have that pull out ramp for the rear trunk lid. With that ramp and the rear wheels being lowered, it will be ready to haul stuff much easier. You can simply push a wheelbarrow up.
With all things metal, if it's a multi piece sliding mechanism that experiences heavy loads repeatedly and over time, i would assume it will bend eventually and not slide closed properly.

If it was designed as one piece properly reinforced should have much better use over a longer period.

Otherwise not needed tbh to save on cost.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Deleting the glass roof costs money. It does not save money. There's an older thread where I went through the cost per square foot and showed this.
I have same issue. I don't want glass roof for work truck.
I would even be willing to pay a little more to NOT have glass roof.
Please an option for 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel roof.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag