Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
435 miles of range divided by 70 mph (average) equals 6.21 hours... (using military time)

1. Start trip at 0500, drive 420 miles (420 total)
2. Have lunch from 1100-1130
3. Drive 420 miles (840 total)
4. Have dinner at 1730-1800
5. Drive 420 miles (1,260 total)
6. Arrive at the hotel at 2359.
7. Charge overnight.

Man, you could cover 1,260 miles without ever having to stop just to charge! Just don't have to pee between stops!
That's not quite how driving an EV works, but you have the basic idea of how massively far this is.

You start at 100%, yes. You drive until you have to go pee, basically, hoping you're below 50% so you can get the best recharge rate.

Then the rest of the drive until you sleep (and hopefully plug in at a big enough Level 2) you bounce between 60% and whatever percentage you're comfortable with in the single digits. That way you're recharging at the fastest rate. You only charge to 100% while you're eating or otherwise occupied and can't or won't get back to the vehicle.

-Crissa
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
That's not quite how driving an EV works, but you have the basic idea of how massively far this is.

You start at 100%, yes. You drive until you have to go pee, basically, hoping you're below 50% so you can get the best recharge rate.

Then the rest of the drive until you sleep (and hopefully plug in at a big enough Level 2) you bounce between 60% and whatever percentage you're comfortable with in the single digits. That way you're recharging at the fastest rate. You only charge to 100% while you're eating or otherwise occupied and can't or won't get back to the vehicle.

-Crissa
That's the point I was making. I've taken several trips with my Model Y... Nebraska to Louisiana to Georgia to Nebraska.

I was highlighting the absurdity of needing 500 miles of driving range. Now, the point of wanting "500 miles of range" for towing should be more "I need so much energy storage in able to move a set number of pounds a set number of miles a set number of feet up in eleveation at a certain speed. But, it's easier to think "500 miles range = 350 miles towing" or such. I know the physics, I just don't feel like retyping them or even linking my other posts. But yeah, I know EV road trips.

(That's why I didn't use the whole range as well but rather the range the person listed)

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
that’s not the more aggressive tire - that’s that Pirelli street

though again, in the excitement of it all it’s harder to parse! I’ve been there!
Yeah those are the Scorpions that sometimes come on Fx4 fords, they’re billed by OEM’s as “all terrains” but they’re less aggressive than the other tires seen so far. Tesla must still be testing out OEM options for range and performance.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
If you believe that, well, I don't even know what truck you!re referring to.

I watch Transport Evolved, they have a Lightning, and tow, and don't have to charge every 88 miles.

-Crissa

I have ten lightnings in the fleet
They are Pros with the shorter range battery and even they can do better than that if you’re stretching. We have two different size trailers we tow. The electrics pull the smaller ones that are typically 6-6500lbs fully loaded.

If a site has electric and they aren’t pulling the trailer back same day, 65 miles door to door is where they can go. If they are coming back with a trailer thats around half the weight and theres electric, 40 is the window.

Windshield time is far more expensive than gas so using en route charging outside an emergency is a non starter

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
GM’s 500-mile truck has been put on hold until 2025.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's tough for them.
All making vaporware predictions to seem relevant, and plausible reasons for delaying. GM is King of Kings.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That's the point I was making. I've taken several trips with my Model Y... Nebraska to Louisiana to Georgia to Nebraska.

I was highlighting the absurdity of needing 500 miles of driving range. Now, the point of wanting "500 miles of range" for towing should be more "I need so much energy storage in able to move a set number of pounds a set number of miles a set number of feet up in eleveation at a certain speed. But, it's easier to think "500 miles range = 350 miles towing" or such. I know the physics, I just don't feel like retyping them or even linking my other posts. But yeah, I know EV road trips.

(That's why I didn't use the whole range as well but rather the range the person listed)
But... I can eat whilst driving in a ICE truck! You can't do that in a EV if you are charging and have to go out for lunch and dinner. And since when does the military have sleep time whilst on the job? Isn't that a instant court martial? ;)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have ten lightnings in the fleet
They are Pros with the shorter range battery and...
...So you're complaining the truck not built for that task is bad at that task?

Kinda unfair to the truck. Like complaining that the Ranger can't carry as many cords of firewood, or the truck without the extended tanks can't go at far - actually it's exactly like that.

Yeah, the specific truck without the feature doesn't do that feature! Maybe compare the version with that feature?

-Crissa

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Funny that was posted yesterday so those are Q4 deliveries, not part of the 18 in Q3.
Sponsored