Cybertruck + catamaran = Cybercat™

Deleted member 3316

Seems a huge power drain with hydrofoil than a conventional boat/cruiser -- one to gain speed to lift to hydrofoil rather than just simply making it move forward with a propeller.

There is always merit to KISS (keep it simply stupid) concepts.
It’s counterintuitive but the whole point of foils is that they’re more efficient. Lift vs drag on a hydrofoil vessel is much more compelling than a standard hull.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

Considering how the apparatus would need to be transported, maybe towing a small powered barge to drive your CT on? Understandable, hydrofoil is enticing.
I think the pontoons are intended to be inflatable so should pack down pretty easily…

Again I don’t think they came at this problem with a first principals approach…
Maybe I should pull my head back in and design something myself… can anyone direct me to an inflatable boat builder?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 3316

I feel like a kayak strapped on top of your cybertruck is probably a much simpler idea than this apparatus.
Those of us that dream of driving the Darién Gap can see great utility in a pontoon style attachment.

Driving through Northern Territory in the wet… or island hopping through Indonesia… plenty of use cases but probably a limited market…

unless it creates a significant improvement to existing solutions for water crossing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Kayaks are great for narrow or calm but not so great for much distance.

They solve completely different problems. Ones I can't afford to solve.

-Crissa
If a kayak hits a wave, you tip over and get wet.

If this gets tipped tips over by a wayward wave, your $70,000 Cybertruck is going to need to be fished out of the bottom of the bay.

Water wings are for 5 year olds not trucks.

Deleted member 3316

If this gets tipped tips over by a wayward wave, your $70,000 Cybertruck is going to need to be fished out of the bottom of the bay.

Yes the appropriate seamanship and competent judgment would be required.

However if you are intending to flout the usual tenets of common sense I'm quite sure an inflatable righting solution could also be fitted.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

If this gets tipped by a wave, the kayak isn't going to be making headway.

-Crissa

bill.french

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Even today, there are towns and trails only accessible by water.

-Crissa
Almost every town in the coastal Maine region. Looks like a mecca for CyberCat-like solutions. My favorite - Frenchboro, of course.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck + catamaran = Cybercat™ 1644265272930

D Glot

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3LR 2018
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
James Craven used to have his Naval students trained to a germane response: "What happens when you use land based technology at sea?". His students immediately and loudly would answer: "You Die!"

No-mo-ice

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Occupation
Aerospace Engineering
Country flag
I just want my Cybertruck, anything after that I’ll look at. My first thought is NOPE, not my cybertruck. Mainly because it rains here in SW Washington like 8 months out of the year…. So I don’t do water stuff really.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I just want my Cybertruck, anything after that I’ll look at. My first thought is NOPE, not my cybertruck. Mainly because it rains here in SW Washington like 8 months out of the year…. So I don’t do water stuff really.
How do you not do water, when it rains so much?

-Crissa

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Please just buy a boat. A Swiss Army knife is only mediocre at many things. A CT catamaran, well, you can see where I am going.