Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree. Would really like a second screen behind the wheel and/or Yoke (similar to the M-S). would pay extra for that addition.
There are at least 2 aftermarket displays that mount there already, and they are pretty nice.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I don’t think it (a center display behind the yoke) has ever come up here, possibly because there wasn’t one in the unveiling. I really doubt anyone would complain if there were to be one, I certainly wouldn’t, but Tesla has been moving toward the cleaner interior as it moves closer to autonomous driving, not closer to ancient ICE designs, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one (I’ve been saying that a lot lately, hmmm).
Before we bought our first Model 3 I was a little concerned about the lack of an instrument cluster. But after spending the first day in it I realized that not only was having the instrument cluster on the center screen not a problem, it was actually preferable. I discovered the dumbest place for critical information is behind the steering wheel. Because now I could adjust the height of the steering wheel to where it was most comfortable for long drives instead of to the only position that gave me a clear view of the instruments. It was actually a revelation!

The center screen is always visible and is even closer to my view of the road than a traditional instrument cluster buried behind the steering wheel because the center screen rises above dash-level. I know intuitively this might not seem to make sense because people tend to believe the way they have done things for many years is always the best way. But trust me when I say it ain't so. I didn't even realize that whenever I got in a different car and adjusted the steering wheel to my liking, I was actually adjusting it, not for comfort and optimum control, but to the only place that gave me a good view of the speedometer!

If Tesla wants to put non-critical info that I don't need to look at while the car is in motion behind the steering wheel, I'm fine with that. But I'll be very disappointed if they put the speedo, gear indicator or navigation info there.

Cars in the day of the Model T had huge skinny steering wheels that were non-adjustable and I imagine it made sense to put the instrument cluster on the dash in front of the driver because the steering wheel was too skinny and large to block them enough to matter. But in a modern car, safety, driver comfort and control has dictated smaller steering wheels with much thicker rims and centrally mounted driver airbags. The net result is they leave only small view windows and block the traditional instrument cluster whenever the wheel is turned. Also, the drivers arm can block the instruments depending on where they grip the wheel.

I know it seems like it would be sub-optimal to look just to the right of the steering wheel to see the indicated speed but, trust me, not only is not a problem, it's an even better location.

This is not an example of Tesla doing something to be different but because it makes more sense. I actually have to look less downward, away from the road, to see my speed than if it were behind the wheel because Tesla puts the speed in the upper-left corner of the center display and the center display rises above the dash level. It's the ideal spot. This would not have been the case with the original Model S due to the center screen being set lower into the dash and in portrait orientation (instead of landscape).

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I believe the initial plans call for locking secure storage bins on the insides of the vault. That where I would want tools if they were heavy at all. And most tools are.

In our Model 3's the frunks are used for coolers (it stays nice and cool in there), groceries and other items that are not too heavy. On the Cybertruck, I think the frunk will comprise less than 5% of the total cargo capacity so not the ideal place for a lot of tools unless you just want to throw a small toolkit or two of handy tools you might need on short notice.

It's a truck, tools go in the back.
I work out of a service body f350 super diesel right now, and side bins are always easier than the bed for tool access. I'm hoping the frunk is analogous since we don't have a service body option.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Before we bought our first Model 3 I was a little concerned about the lack of an instrument cluster. But after spending the first day in it I realized that not only was having the instrument cluster on the center screen not a problem, it was actually preferable. I discovered the dumbest place for critical information is behind the steering wheel. Because now I could adjust the height of the steering wheel to where it was most comfortable for long drives instead of to the only position that gave me a clear view of the instruments. It was actually a revelation!

The center screen is always visible and is even closer to my view of the road than a traditional instrument cluster buried behind the steering wheel because the center screen rises above dash-level. I know intuitively this might not seem to make sense because people tend to believe the way they have done things for many years is always the best way. But trust me when I say it ain't so. I didn't even realize that whenever I got in a different car and adjusted the steering wheel to my liking, I was actually adjusting it, not for comfort and optimum control, but to the only place that gave me a good view of the speedometer!

If Tesla wants to put non-critical info that I don't need to look at while the car is in motion behind the steering wheel, I'm fine with that. But I'll be very disappointed if they put the speedo, gear indicator or navigation info there.

Cars in the day of the Model T had huge skinny steering wheels that were non-adjustable and I imagine it made sense to put the instrument cluster on the dash in front of the driver because the steering wheel was too skinny and large to block them enough to matter. But in a modern car, safety, driver comfort and control has dictated smaller steering wheels with much thicker rims and centrally mounted driver airbags. The net result is they leave only small view windows and block the traditional instrument cluster whenever the wheel is turned. Also, the drivers arm can block the instruments depending on where they grip the wheel.

I know it seems like it would be sub-optimal to look just to the right of the steering wheel to see the indicated speed but, trust me, not only is not a problem, it's an even better location.

This is not an example of Tesla doing something to be different but because it makes more sense. I actually have to look less downward, away from the road, to see my speed than if it were behind the wheel because Tesla puts the speed in the upper-left corner of the center display and the center display rises above the dash level. It's the ideal spot. This would not have been the case with the original Model S due to the center screen being set lower into the dash and in portrait orientation (instead of landscape).
I agree wholeheartedly, but playing the devil’s advocate, the yoke would mitigate the view of the instrument cluster though. When you turn that enough to block the view your eyes are preferably on your surroundings instead. Hence the yoke in the new S and X could work well. I still like all the data in one place a bit to the side on my 3 though. I feel less distracted when watching the road too. The speed and everything else is taken care of.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
I don’t think it (a center display behind the yoke) has ever come up here, possibly because there wasn’t one in the unveiling. I really doubt anyone would complain if there were to be one, I certainly wouldn’t, but Tesla has been moving toward the cleaner interior as it moves closer to autonomous driving, not closer to ancient ICE designs, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one (I’ve been saying that a lot lately, hmmm).
I would complain. I don't want one. It is much safer (for me) not to draw my eyes down. And because the center console screen is far out of my peripheral, I don't find myself using it while driving much at all. But when I do, I have Autopilot, etc. engaged and I feel completely comfortable taking my eyes off the street and hands off the wheel in order to change my tunes, flick through my mileage/efficiency/charge data, or check tire pressure. I prefer using my hands to do that vice stalks or scroll wheels. Huge fan of the center console screen and don't want instrument clusters or gauges or even maps behind the wheel/yoke. I'd welcome screens/controls/something for the passenger (ala the Taycan) more readily than something else for me and I still don't want that.

I want FSD to become a reality, and am a fan. But if it never does, I like the features that we have now in the safety, navigation, autosteer areas. With them, these vehicles are safer, more efficient, and fun to use in my opinion.

SS

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I was looking over the blueprint below and something struck me that I had not noticed before.

Look at how much space is between the steering yoke and the frunk.....that's a HUGE dashboard and a lot wasted space. Do you think the final design will remove some of this?
How do you envision the final design "removing" space?

The driver of the vehicle is placed where there is the most head room. The steering wheel is then placed forward of that where it works best for ergonomics. How much space is between the steering wheel and the front of the vehicle is irrelevant.

If you angled the windshield more "up" like a traditional vehicle, it would appear to meet the dash closer to the driver. This doesn't add or remove usefull space, just the appearance of space.

The distance between the driver and the front axle is likely similar to any other truck, so the amount of "wasted" is the same as any other truck, besides the fact that you have a frunk.

Some of that space will be storage, some will be filled with vehicle systems and electronics.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
<Snip>
I'd welcome screens/controls/something for the passenger (ala the Taycan) more readily than something else for me and I still don't want that.

<Snip>
Passenger screens are game changers, done right. I’ll want to see the Taycan now. Thanks!

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I work out of a service body f350 super diesel right now, and side bins are always easier than the bed for tool access. I'm hoping the frunk is analogous since we don't have a service body option.
Or the sail pillars for small, frequently used tools. At least, that's where I plan to store the travel charging cable, gloves, zip ties, etc. if they fit.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Or the sail pillars for small, frequently used tools. At least, that's where I plan to store the travel charging cable, gloves, zip ties, etc. if they fit.
«gloves, zip ties» ... and the bodies in the vault? Well, the CT with its separate and lockable vault sure is a step up from the typical unmarked white vans ?

Joking of course. The CT will be very practical.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
«gloves, zip ties» ... and the bodies in the vault? Well, the CT with its separate and lockable vault sure is a step up from the typical unmarked white vans ?

Joking of course. The CT will be very practical.
Why do you think the tonneau is so appealing?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Why do you think the tonneau is so appealing?
Traveling. Lockable secure, waterproof storage out of slipstream!

Sailplane sides are a mental encumbrance, legacy from leaning over sides of US pickup beds to reach toolbox. Tonneau will change what you can carry, can leave onboard and changes how a pickup can work. In my circumstance, different, better, more secure and convenient.

So done with racks, tarps, tiedowns and clamoring over the top to load out. Storm Beta wetted up and under tarps, into gear and destroyed stuff even in waterproof protected enclosures. Tonneau electric cover solves a number of traditional friction points, eliminates exposures and adds the convenience electrically operated. It may be remote on the Keyfob.

Diehards can still load atop tonneau and bridge load across sailplanes so a racking ability is built-in. But Its a rare situation in my use case. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it, either, to haul haybales and watertanks.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes one of my few complaints about Tesla’s design language is the dashboard design in the Y, 3 and CT. I’m one who would trade some of that clean modern look for added functionality and storage. Most “truck guys” agree if you look at the dash and center consoles of trucks from the big 3. I also would enjoy a center display behind the yoke but I’m probably outvoted on this site with that point.
yep....I would like to see the visual screen behind the steering wheel also....but I do like the a/c vents.....the Model S has very little directional control for the one in front of the driver....no matter how I try and adjust, I keep getting air blown in my face