Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A cell-starved Tesla is fighting to bring its most ambitious cars to life.

THE CYBERTRUCK, A FUTURISTIC HUNK OF CAR first debuted by Tesla at an unveiling event in 2019, is probably Elon Musk’s favorite truck. He said as much in a July 15 tweet, telling a fan that even if Cybertruck is a sales “flop,” it’s still “so unlike anything else.”

“I love it so much,” Musk said, “even if others don’t.” Naturally, Musk’s burning love has also got other Tesla fans pretty amped up about the truck, which promises user-recognizing automatic doors, and “all four wheels steer” for a “nimble” truck driving experience.

But Tesla is missing batteries, and it could determine the Cybertruck’s release date.

HERE’S WHAT HAPPENED
With the company’s second-quarter 2021 earnings results last week, the firm outlined several ways that the supply of batteries is hitting production:

• The Semi truck, first announced in 2017 with a 2019 launch date, has been pushed back to 2022.
  • The firm has “a massive backlog in Powerwall demand … the demand of Powerwall versus production is an insane mismatch.”
  • The Semi, as well as the upcoming Cybertruck, are “heavy users of cell capacity.”
Tesla plans a new 4680 cell, which could speed up production and drive down prices. But as it tackles the final 10 percent of manufacturing processes that bottleneck production output, any hiccups could have a knock-on effect.

“It appears that they were counting on these cells to make both the truck and Semi viable,”Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst of e-mobility for Guidehouse Insights, tells Inverse.

THIS WON’T IMPACT ONLY THE CYBERTRUCK
Tesla planned two major consumer-facing vehicle launches this year:

1. A redesigned version of the Model Y compact SUV simplifies manufacturing and includes the new 4680 cells. The car first hit roads in March 2020.
  2. The Tesla Cybertruck, the firm’s all-electric pickup truck first unveiled in November 2019
During the call, Musk explained that Tesla plans to start producing the Model Y redesign later this year. The Cybertruck will enter production once the redesigned Model Y reaches mass volume. Unfortunately, that could take some time — the Model 3 took nearly a year to get to that stage, meaning the Cybertruck will likely hit roads in 2022.

As the Cybertruck gears up for launch, it will face off against Ford’s F-150 Lightning.

The Cybertruck packs an impressive punch:

• The F-150’s range reaches up to 300 miles per charge, while the Cybertruck’s range goes up to 500 miles.
  • The F-150 can reach 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds, but the tri-motor Cybertruck can achieve that in less than 2.9 seconds.
  • The F-150 is priced from $39,947 to $90,474. The Cybertruck is priced from $39,900 to $69,900.
Specs mean little, however, if nobody can buy the car. A delay could send potential buyers looking elsewhere.

“My guess is that Ford will be delivering F-150 Lightnings in volume well before the Cybertruck,” Abuelsamid says.

In the race to electrify, the key to winning could be battery production.

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/cybertruck-delay-how-teslas-biggest-problem-is-industry-wide
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
In other news, the sky is kind of an orange brown today.

I am moving from ignoring to starting to be irritated by articles like this. No sources besides Twitter, comments like
Naturally, Musk’s burning love has also got other Tesla fans pretty amped up about the truck
Because you know if Elon likes it the fanboys must follow. No math. One analyst days, "It appears...". Well shit, it appears you had a deadline and no material.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
“My guess is that Ford will be delivering F-150 Lightnings in volume well before the Cybertruck,” Abuelsamid says.
What exactly is this guy thinking when he says "in volume"?

We're 6 months into this and Ford hasn't even delivered the 50,000 Mach E pre-orders. Unless Ford seriously changes up their game, even if Ford has a 6 month head-start, Tesla will likely out-ship them in the first year.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag

Specs mean little, however, if nobody can buy the car. A delay could send potential buyers looking elsewhere.

My "guess" is that Ford faces the same battery sourcing problems. So there won't really be anywhere else to look for an electric truck.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
What exactly is this guy thinking when he says "in volume"?

We're 6 months into this and Ford hasn't even delivered the 50,000 Mach E pre-orders. Unless Ford seriously changes up their game, even if Ford has a 6 month head-start, Tesla will likely out-ship them in the first year.
Give Ford some slack, they are still trying to open the car doors with phones so they can deliver product.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

THE CYBERTRUCK, A FUTURISTIC HUNK OF CAR first debuted by Tesla at an unveiling event in 2019, is probably Elon Musk’s favorite truck. He said as much in a July 15 tweet, telling a fan that even if Cybertruck is a sales “flop,” it’s still “so unlike anything else.”

“I love it so much,” Musk said, “even if others don’t.” Naturally, Musk’s burning love has also got other Tesla fans pretty amped up about the truck, which promises user-recognizing automatic doors, and “all four wheels steer” for a “nimble” truck driving experience.

But Tesla is missing batteries, and it could determine the Cybertruck’s release date.

HERE’S WHAT HAPPENED
With the company’s second-quarter 2021 earnings results last week, the firm outlined several ways that the supply of batteries is hitting production:

• The Semi truck, first announced in 2017 with a 2019 launch date, has been pushed back to 2022.
  • The firm has “a massive backlog in Powerwall demand … the demand of Powerwall versus production is an insane mismatch.”
  • The Semi, as well as the upcoming Cybertruck, are “heavy users of cell capacity.”
Tesla plans a new 4680 cell, which could speed up production and drive down prices. But as it tackles the final 10 percent of manufacturing processes that bottleneck production output, any hiccups could have a knock-on effect.

“It appears that they were counting on these cells to make both the truck and Semi viable,”Sam Abuelsamid, principal analyst of e-mobility for Guidehouse Insights, tells Inverse.

THIS WON’T IMPACT ONLY THE CYBERTRUCK
Tesla planned two major consumer-facing vehicle launches this year:

1. A redesigned version of the Model Y compact SUV simplifies manufacturing and includes the new 4680 cells. The car first hit roads in March 2020.
  2. The Tesla Cybertruck, the firm’s all-electric pickup truck first unveiled in November 2019
During the call, Musk explained that Tesla plans to start producing the Model Y redesign later this year. The Cybertruck will enter production once the redesigned Model Y reaches mass volume. Unfortunately, that could take some time — the Model 3 took nearly a year to get to that stage, meaning the Cybertruck will likely hit roads in 2022.

As the Cybertruck gears up for launch, it will face off against Ford’s F-150 Lightning.

The Cybertruck packs an impressive punch:

• The F-150’s range reaches up to 300 miles per charge, while the Cybertruck’s range goes up to 500 miles.
  • The F-150 can reach 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds, but the tri-motor Cybertruck can achieve that in less than 2.9 seconds.
  • The F-150 is priced from $39,947 to $90,474. The Cybertruck is priced from $39,900 to $69,900.

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/cybertruck-delay-how-teslas-biggest-problem-is-industry-wide
I missed ‘your’ point. I don’t much give a damn for the opinions of the source. Every auto maker is in the same boat with chip shortages, battery cell shortages, logistics issues but Tesla less than most. So, again, if you have an opinion to share I’d love to hear it. Or is your opinion identical in all ways to that of the article you shared? If so, then very sad for you.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
A few days ago, when the President had a publicity event for electrification and drove the Rubicon.

I watched news coverage on the story with additional commentary afterwards.

The gave credit to Tesla for moving the ball along in many areas including how EV can be produced profitable. Thanked Tesla a few more times, drifted to other manufactures and near the end touted Ford had 150,000 reservation for the lightning. No mention of CT reservations.

150,000 sounds awesome unless compared to 1.4 million.

I find irksome those storytelling nuances that are meant to shape opinion. Sometimes, they are outright falsehoods.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A few days ago, when the President had a publicity event for electrification and drove the Rubicon.

I watched news coverage on the story with additional commentary afterwards.

The gave credit to Tesla for moving the ball along in many areas including how EV can be produced profitable. Thanked Tesla a few more times, drifted to other manufactures and near the end touted Ford had 150,000 reservation for the lightning. No mention of CT reservations.

150,000 sounds awesome unless compared to 1.4 million.

I find irksome those storytelling nuances that are meant to shape opinion. Sometimes, they are outright falsehoods.
The auto unions are calling the shots on auto policy with this administration.

Subsidies tied to union shops, presidential publicity tied to union shops.

Kind of dumb when you are playing up the baby steps major auto has made while tip-toeing around the elephant in the room.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I would say it's smart. It puts the unions in a bind - either they can lead the way through this open door or they can be sticks in the mud.

The 'union' part of the subsidy is as large as the 'American made' part - the part where Tesla is kicking ass. The Leaf, a couple of the BMWs are also all-American. The only one that could claim both is the Bolt, I think.

The administration is also closing up close behind with emissions regulations, which is the real conversion to BEV. The more other automakers are behind, the more they need to buy credits from Tesla.

So yeah, sometimes you put someone at the head of the parade because they can't duck out in front of the public.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don’t think anyone expects Tesla will be cranking out Cybertrucks this year. The quarterly earnings call pretty effectively killed any hope of that.

if you are seeing posts which suggest otherwise you might check the date on it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There were rumors, but at no point did Tesla or Elon suggest they were doing that before Q4.

4680 ramp was supposed to be this year, yes. But they need to keep the cells to do Cybertruck and new Y. Hence holding back on other projects which would start eating into their supply but not give the same profits.

Both of these are no change from original schedule, tho.

No, you have everything. It's just important to remember what's changed and what hasn't. So far 4680 is delayed... But we knew that was likely. It's a battery cell no one has made before, big cylinder cells require much higher tolerances.

We don't want a repeat of the Bolt batteries, right?

-Crissa

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Jesus Murphy. another crap article about a delay. 2022 isn't a delay. volume production was always slated for '22.
Yeah this is no repeat of the model 3, for which Tesla got a bad rap for when it comes to delays. Model Y was on time. (Ok, well some news outlets did attempt to crucify Tesla when the initial shipments of the Y were delayed 2 to 4 weeks .... But good grief.... What useless news indeed)
I dunno, I was under the impression that they were hoping to get a few out in 2021, but not ramp up production until 2022. All I hear is that they're still on schedule except for their stretch goal of getting a few out before 2021. Which, I remind you, they are very likely to get some out this year, but they won't be for customers yet.

News, social media, gossips all love to create drama out of anything with hype. It generate clicks. CT is no exception.
Sponsored