Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY Dual Motor, CT Dual Motor preordered
Occupation
Test Engineer
Country flag
I've been very curious how the door handles work on the Cybertruck since seeing the test rides they provided at the reveal party. I thought perhaps as someone with the appropriate key approached they would pop out or perhaps the occupant would press on them and the door would open like the Model X. I finally found a video that shows how they work... from the outside anyway! 0:12 seconds in a valet opens the door to let riders out to usher in the next riders! He pushes on the front passenger door handle and both passenger side door handles "present" themselves!!

Edit: At 1:57 the Tesla driver begins to talk about adaptive suspension with active damping that will, in the lowered position "make it handle more like a sports car". We all now know that the demo CT was a dual motor (and that's what I have preordered) so I personally get a little more excited every time I watch this video!!

Edit: video by DÆrik on Youtube.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Oh, hey, he also said the tonneau cover hid under the rear seats. I hope that means that back window can open. I don't need it to be flat to the deck of the bed, just long enough to hide plywood from the wind.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There is still a lot of changes that they could make to the Cybertruck without making it look different or reducing the specs that they've told us. I really hope that the tonneau cover rolling up under the back seats doesn't prevent a passthrough option, I am one of the people that plan to use my Cybertruck instead of a hotel and for camping; so a passthrough for more space/people would be great. The picture that shows the exoskeleton makes it seem like there is a good amount of space behind the seats that is lower than the truck bed, so it definitely could be possible for the seats to lower, fold down, and a passthrough to lay on top. The truck will still be great for camping even if there is no passthrough. I would just have the get in through the tailgate.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I've been very curious how the door handles work on the Cybertruck since seeing the test rides they provided at the reveal party. I thought perhaps as someone with the appropriate key approached they would pop out or perhaps the occupant would press on them and the door would open like the Model X. I finally found a video that shows how they work... from the outside anyway! 0:12 seconds in a valet opens the door to let riders out to usher in the next riders! He pushes on the front passenger door handle and both passenger side door handles "present" themselves!!

Edit: At 1:57 the Tesla driver begins to talk about adaptive suspension with active damping that will, in the lowered position "make it handle more like a sports car". We all now know that the demo CT was a dual motor (and that's what I have preordered) so I personally get a little more excited every time I watch this video!!

Edit: video by DÆrik on Youtube.

Oh, hey, he also said the tonneau cover hid under the rear seats. I hope that means that back window can open. I don't need it to be flat to the deck of the bed, just long enough to hide plywood from the wind.

-Crissa
I just watched a ton of reveal-night test driving videos and, yes, the door handles slide out, but the doors are both opened and closed by people. I kind of wish someone videoing the test drives had focused on the doors.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I just watched a ton of reveal-night test driving videos and, yes, the door handles slide out, but the doors are both opened and closed by people. I kind of wish someone videoing the test drives had focused on the doors.
They appear to be like the model S. You can touch them to come out and they will probably come out when you approach.

RedCoast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Country flag
I hope there is a better manual release function then the model Y. For the rear seats that has to be one of the most unpractical unsafe things I have ever seen. If there is a fatal failure of the electrics due to a crash etc a proper manual release is necessary.

This video does a good job at demonstrating the problem. Also even though there is an internal manual release this does not help if people need to rescue from the car as the outside door handles are 100% electric and have no manual function. I have to say I am shocked by how DUMB and unsafe this is. Really hope Tesla realize this mistake and make a change. There is no reason you cannot have both.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You can't open my car's doors from the outside if there's no electricity.

This isn't a new thing.

-Crissa
Watch the video, this is talking about how crazy difficult it is to get out, from inside the car manually. I agree this needs to be fixed. At 16 I flipped my dads 69 chevy pickup into a river. Standing on the roof, in the dark, with water coming into the vehicle you need to be able to get out quickly.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You pull the escape handle. The back doors on most cars don't even have an escape handle.

-Crissa
AHA, that's what almost got me too. There I was in the dark, standing on the roof with water pouring in and thinking I need to pull the door handle up to get out of here. So after 3-4 pulls my brain kicked in and said, "hey dummy you're standing on the roof, everything is upside down, push down on the lever"!

Then swoosh the water comes rushing in, and I'm only hip deep thank god.

I'm a little confused Crissa, you think it's OK to allow people to be trapped in the BACK of cars?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
This is nothing new.

Many years ago my Nervous Nellie aunt from California locked herself in my mom's 1996 BMW 530 while my mom stepped into a store for a minute. My aunt was afraid someone was going to steal the car, thus her, while my mother gone for 2 minutes.

If I recall, that car had the factory alarm and if you locked the car with the remote, then from the inside locked it again, that was it. Nothing would open it. It was literally locked down.

I don't know how or why, but all the doors were disabled from inside and outside. Even though my mom had the keys she could not get in, and my aunt could not get out. The two paniced, police where called, it was hot out, no AC, a window was broken, my aunt was dragged out and had a panic attack, and the car was immediately traded in for a Volvo or Audi.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
The handles look like the S handles that pop out, but I'm personally voting for manual handles like on the 3/Y in production. Or maybe touch handles like the X. Repairing the S handles are extremely expensive ($750 per handle) and they've been unreliable in previous iterations of the S (not sure how they're doing now).

If this thing is going to be a robotaxi some day, it needs as few breakable parts as possible to prevent downtime and costly repairs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm a little confused Crissa, you think it's OK to allow people to be trapped in the BACK of cars?
There haven't been escape handles in the back of my cars for twenty years and no, I didn't build them to make their regulations, so what does that have to do with me? None of the cars I had as options had this feature at all.

I would like this feature, but I won't say Tesla is at fault for thinking regulations and worried parents have higher priority.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
The handles look like the S handles that pop out, but I'm personally voting for manual handles like on the 3/Y in production. Or maybe touch handles like the X. Repairing the S handles are extremely expensive ($750 per handle) and they've been unreliable in previous iterations of the S (not sure how they're doing now).

If this thing is going to be a robotaxi some day, it needs as few breakable parts as possible to prevent downtime and costly repairs.
100% agreed. I have had so many motorized things in my cars go bad I have lost count. Anything from the actuators for vents, to windows. I doubt motorized door handles working the way they did at the test ride will work trouble free passed 100K miles. I am planing to drive my CT passed two hundred and I want to replace as little parts as possible. Manual for me.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
100% agreed. I have had so many motorized things in my cars go bad I have lost count. Anything from the actuators for vents, to windows. I doubt motorized door handles working the way they did at the test ride will work trouble free passed 100K miles. I am planing to drive my CT passed two hundred and I want to replace as little parts as possible. Manual for me.
Although these are reasonable concerns, we know that the design is finalized, and we have seen videos that show an automatic handle, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on that one.
Sponsored