Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
This website is filled with dream sheet wish list requests for the CT. Some realistic today, some not. But make a request that the FSD "brain" not be manufactured in China, and it's met with more cynicism then most other requests.

Maybe I should have phrased the opening post differently.

I'm not asking what is possible today...nor do I think is Tesla. I'm asking what direction do we want to go? I'll concede it will be more expensive if produced in the U.S. But it's one part of an optional add on, to a $50k - $80k truck.

The gist of my question is if given the choice, and given equal quality product, would you rather have the "brain" made in China or the US?
Honestly I'm not sure, am I safer if I'm being tracked by an American company / government over being tracked by a Chinese government?
Snowden raised so serious concerns about what the US does on tracking and the US also imprisons without charges some people ( terrorists), assassinates without convictions (also terrorists overseas). How hard would it be for the US government to make look like I'm a terrorist and disappear me?
Facebook and Google track my online activity then use AI to manipulate my thoughts so that they can sell my attention (see social dilemma on netflix) to any bidder including foreign advisories who would like to foment civil war.
So am I in more danger if the Chinese install nefarious software? So far the Chinese haven't done anything to me, indeed they have done less to me than my own government and domestic corporations have done.
Will they? I don't know.
Sponsored

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think in both cases, its much less about 'tracking' and more about using the tracking info for coercion. Watch 'the social dilemma' on Netflix if you haven't already...

** puts on tinfoil hat, goes to secret underground bunker, and loads shotguns ** /s

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So am I in more danger if the Chinese install nefarious software? So far the Chinese haven't done anything to me, indeed they have done less to me than my own government and domestic corporations have done.
Will they? I don't know.
I don't think you or anyone individual is at risk. The malware is intended to gather information the U.S. Government deems as spying.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don't think you or anyone individual is at risk. The malware is intended to gather information the U.S. Government deems as spying.
I am not trying to condone Chinese spying, I am mearly saying a knee jerk reaction that Chinese spying is more harmful than domestic spying is not a thoughtful position. During the cold war Russia and the USA spied on each other. The information from that spying prevented the war going hot where we all would have lost alot more than we lost to the other side spying.
Yes the Chinese spy and steal intellectual property, so do we.
Yes factories pollute, they would here if they were here. So China should not have factories? The only modernization method open to them.
For the people that want chips to be manufactured here do you want to live down wind to an industry that uses phosphine? ( Smells like satan's spawn's diapers).

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes the Chinese spy and steal intellectual property, so do we.
The U.S. does spy. Does the U.S. steal intellectual property? I haven't heard any allegations that the U.S. does but it seems to be common knowledge China is notorious for it.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
For the people that want chips to be manufactured here do you want to live down wind to an industry that uses phosphine? ( Smells like satan's spawn's diapers).
Nope. Sure don't. But, I don't want anyone to have to live next to a stench. Sounds like this would be part of the environment stance that Tesla would be trying to innovate around and find a better way. Can it be done without phosphine at a higher cost here? How much higher? Is it worth the trade off for the environmental impacts and labor implications? Lets not forget that Tesla is suing due to tariffs that they claim are costing them $ (I say claim because I would assume the cost is passed onto the customer, meaning it's probably a gross loss, but not necessarily a net loss). I know the tariffs won't live on forever, but who knows how long they will continue...they could avoid the tariff cost by producing here. So taking into account the tariffs maybe it's not too overly expensive to produce here.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The U.S. does spy. Does the U.S. steal intellectual property? I haven't heard any allegations that the U.S. does but it seems to be common knowledge China is notorious for it.
Does China steal IP? Most of what the US currently calls theft is codified as technical cooperation, joint ventures or equity ownerships subject to government licenses which the US agreed to only 40 years ago. It is actually duplicitous to call it theft when the IP was supposed to be shared in exchange for the Chinese allowing the factories to come there.
Does the US steal IP. Yup tiktok

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is so true. We're in an investment glut, and yet, a steady profit of a basic business can't get decent loans. All the investors are chasing 'Pokemon profits' - they want that big score. Hence piling into Tesla this summer and over inflating it. (Tho that's good for our Cybertrucks, it's bad for businesses we want to go to with our trucks)
The supply chain is an issue if critical components are being produced in China. It is a fact that China has injected malware or other nefarious software onto chips they manufacture. Very nefarious software. Think along the lines of what we did to Iran’s centrifuges.
This did happen, or at least, looks like it did. So we do have to be careful. That's why owning production (like Tesla is doing) or open-source is so important. Very hard to insert stuff when people are watching.

-Crissa

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Honestly I'm not sure, am I safer if I'm being tracked by an American company / government over being tracked by a Chinese government?
Snowden raised so serious concerns about what the US does on tracking and the US also imprisons without charges some people ( terrorists), assassinates without convictions (also terrorists overseas). How hard would it be for the US government to make look like I'm a terrorist and disappear me?
Facebook and Google track my online activity then use AI to manipulate my thoughts so that they can sell my attention (see social dilemma on netflix) to any bidder including foreign advisories who would like to foment civil war.
Will they? I don't know.
I doubt China will do much to you directly, but you don't live in Hong Kong of course.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I believe Elon when he says the goal of Tesla is to transition the world to sustainable transportation. So intellectual property theft would not be a worry for Tesla since that would mean someone else is trying to do the same thing. (Indeed Tesla makes it's patents available for anyone to use).

The China boogeyman fear is irrational, Chinese culture and history is very introverted and holds a long history of foreign interference. Look at it form their perspective. England once fought a war and forced them to allow their citizens to become drug addicts. America invaded and occupied portions of their cities of Shanghai and Tiajin for nearly 100 years. Japan invaded, no need to mention what they did. Can you blame them for not allowing a modern invasion of foreign corporations that use the country and it's people but holds it's knowledge to itself so that when it's done with China it can just leave and China has nothing but pollution.
Tesla has a fully foreign owned factory in China and that is a first, probably because they are the first to not try to screw the Chinese.
China boogieman is not irrational. They have openly stated their goals of control of 75% of the global economy by 2025. It's not conspiracy stuff. And Tesla has the first foreign-owned car factory in China because it was previously illegal. A concession for Trump easing the trade war was to allow foreign car companies entry. Electric car companies were allowed access first in 2018, all manufacturers will be allowed in 2022. Your theory of Chinese victims is baseless.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
China boogieman is not irrational. They have openly stated their goals of control of 75% of the global economy by 2025. It's not conspiracy stuff. And Tesla has the first foreign-owned car factory in China because it was previously illegal. A concession for Trump easing the trade war was to allow foreign car companies entry. Electric car companies were allowed access first in 2018, all manufacturers will be allowed in 2022. Your theory of Chinese victims is baseless.
Do you know why Hong Kong is a separate government from the rest of China?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They have openly stated their goals of control of 75% of the global economy by 2025.
I'll need a cite on that.

But if China raised their GDP per capita to the US's... They would have over 80 trillion in GDP. The rest of the world only has about 65 trillion. So that's pretty close.

That's not a threat. That's a hope. Can you imagine 1.4 billion more people buying iPhones and playing Xbox and watching Marvel movies at the same prices we are?

If they did, the US's economy would balloon.
...concession for Trump easing the trade war was to allow foreign car companies entry. Electric car companies were allowed access first in 2018, all manufacturers will be allowed in 2022.
I'll need a cite on that, too. China invested a huge amount in 2007-2010 into building an industry to attract foreign investment in their EV market. It wasn't walled off. Tesla has been selling cars there since the beginning. They didn't have the money for the Gigafactory until 2018 and the success of the model 3 in the US.

-Crissa

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Do you know why Hong Kong is a separate government from the rest of China?

it has to do with the repatriation treaty between the United Kingdom and China. Hong Kong was previously a British colony after the a first Opium War and on a 99 year lease.HK was returned to China in 97 or 98 with the proviso that it be self-governing (keeping their Western-style democracy). It was called a One Country, 2 government policy (if I am not mistaken). Lots of Hong Kongers fled before repatriation knowing the Communist government would eventually change their minds. See current events.
Sponsored