M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
the gladiator is fine in this tub. its mickeys tub that can be mega sketchy for stock vehicles.
I enjoyed the video though
haha… I almost mentioned mickeys hot tub! I have been stuck in that in a UTV before 😁 Thank you for bringing it up!

My gladiator is fairly clean… I get some ptsd on some trails watching the damage some folks get. 🤣. When I did the trifecta in Moab after 10 hours of 8/10 trail levels, I think I needed a Vicodin. I think my cortisol levels removed 3 years off my life watching the damage my crew got on their rigs but luckily not mine!

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
haha… I almost mentioned mickeys hot tub! I have been stuck in that in a UTV before 😁 Thank you for bringing it up!

My gladiator is fairly clean… I get some ptsd on some trails watching the damage some folks get. 🤣. When I did the trifecta in Moab after 10 hours of 8/10 trail levels, I think I needed a Vicodin. I think my cortisol levels removed 3 years off my life watching the damage my crew got on their rigs but luckily not mine!
the body of mine still in superb condition but frame down is being prepped for major surgery right now 🫣

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in Devil's Hot Tub @ Hell's Revenge, Moab IMG_3618

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Gah! I’m sorry man!

maybe a meet up in Moab with CTs (or Jeeps) may be in order! (y)
I’m doing a little preplanning for a fall CT event but I think the first year should be open to other vehicles just because so few exist & and the tiny percentage that want to offroad them. Next year could be a size-able group though

As far as the Jeep its all good. Its elective surgery. The performance I wanted is a little past off the shelf parts.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck in Devil's Hot Tub @ Hell's Revenge, Moab IMG_3620

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This post reminded me of the original off road incident. Know this hasn’t been an issue since public release in November, couldn’t even find a past story on Google? Anyone who has received their CT report any other issues with the A-Arms tearing, or breaking?

IMG_5241.jpeg

Sure does look like thin stamped steal for as much weight this thing supports.
I'm not following you. The upper A-arm supports zero weight beyond the weight of the A-arm itself. It exists only to hold the wheel's camber angle (tilt of the wheel inboard or outboard). There is almost zero vertical force applied to the A-arm because it pivots freely at the inboard pivot.

The upper A-arm does handle side loads, and you can see the stamped metal part is designed to be plenty stiff in that direction. Even here, the amount of load it handles is minimized by the leverage advantage it has being located above the top of the tire.

The upper A-arm also plays an important role in crash safety by being the weak link in the system and allowing the tire to collapse out of the way, so it doesn't transfer crash impacts to the occupants.

Good engineering is designing the part to behave optimally in all situations by modelling and understanding the forces involved and adding a margin of safety, so a one-off event does not make the part fail. Bad engineering involves making every part overly strong because the magnitude and direction of the forces involved is not understood. An overly heavy part is often used by amatuers because they have no way to quantify what the part requires to perform well.

In this case, the misunderstanding is that the upper A-arm supports the weight of the vehicle, it doesn't, it's a freely rotating pivot holding the top of the tire from moving inboard or outboard. It does take quite a load off-roading, when on a sideslope, but the loading is always exactly in line with the pivot, since the pivot is free to rotate.

While I can't tell from looking at it that it is strong enough or not (no one can), I'm confident that the Internet peanut gallery has nothing on the Tesla engineers who designed and tested it. I have complete faith that it will perform everything asked of it, even in extreme situations. We already know with 100% certainty that it is not grossly inadequate, or it would have already failed on Hell's Revenge. In the very unlikely event that it turns out it's inadequate for more extreme forces in odd edge cases, it will be recalled for a slightly stiffer, stronger part.

Trust the Tesla engineers. While no engineer or group of engineers is perfect, the ones at Tesla are some of the most skilled automotive engineers in the world. Trying to second-guess that bunch, based upon an uneducated hunch or upon what other engineers have used in the past on various other designs, is the height of ridiculousness. And over-building parts that move is a common method of dealing with a lack of real engineering skills. It's also the number one engineering sin done by amateur engineers and results in crappy, unnecessarily overweight and needlessly expensive products.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡
Country flag
The upper A-arm does handle side loads, and you can see the stamped metal part is designed to be plenty stiff in that direction.
Ahh man, thanks for the info, feel better with that knowledge. That may help all others here who were posting the first thing they are going to do is switch out their A-arms with aftermarket once delivered. LOL!

Take care.
Sponsored