george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
safety consultant
Country flag
Will you be using your Cybertruck's boat-like features, and in what way??

Just tweeted this morning by Elon Musk.

"Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren’t too choppy"

Reddit poster stated he works at Tesla and guarantees this is the first time the design engineers have heard of it lol.
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Reddit poster stated he works at Tesla and guarantees this is the first time the design engineers have heard of it lol.
That is kinda odd to not have heard about it before when this is not the first time he mentioned it.

Elon also has a James Bond movie prop used for the James Bond car underwater scenes.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Now all we need is mid-gate passthru so we can get to the bed to be able to fish from the bed.

No more loss of range towing a boat.
There is money to be made with hydrofoil mods, stabilizer and gyroscope for CT, lol.:unsure:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There is money to be made with hydrofoil mods, stabilizer and gyroscope for CT, lol.:unsure:
Hydrofoil I get. But what's the stabiliser and gyroscope for?

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
Would you prefer if it sinks?
Do you want the James Bond Plaid Submarine feature as well?
You'll have to wait until 2024'. 😜
I think the military Humvee was designed to take on and drain rapidly to maintain tire contact with the riverbed during crossings. If you plan to drive out of the water anywhere but a boat landing or rocky beach, that traction is important to prevent simply bouncing off the bank.

I like the floating feature. Wonder if it relies on a tailgate seal? It would be nice to use the deployable ramp as a gangway for exting onto a soil bank to set winch anchor points to pull itself onto land again.

Floating feature gets useful for Floridians if it can stay dry long enough for storm surge to recede. Have a truck again in a few days rather than another insurance claim. That ought to reduce premiums in flood prone areas.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Hydrofoil I get. But what's the stabiliser and gyroscope for?
And I thought that's obvious for a CT not shaped as a boat or the distinct possibility of stopping momentarily, deliberately to drop a line, in the middle of a lake. :eek: o_O

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think the military Humvee was designed to take on and drain rapidly to maintain tire contact with the riverbed during crossings. If you plan to drive out of the water anywhere but a boat landing or rocky beach, that traction is important to prevent simply bouncing off the bank.

I like the floating feature. Wonder if it relies on a tailgate seal? It would be nice to use the deployable ramp as a gangway for exting onto a soil bank to set winch anchor points to pull itself onto land again.

Floating feature gets useful for Floridians if it can stay dry long enough for storm surge to recede. Have a truck again in a few days rather than another insurance claim. That ought to reduce premiums in flood prone areas.
Somewhere in the 13 pages of this thread I describe that the water line is very close to the tailgate height, and that its likely that it needs to remain closed in boat mode, as do the doors to avoid interior water damage. I also go on about how the handle less doors already have actuators that can compress the seals to make them water tight, and there's also a discussion in there on how best to facilitate both good wading capability and flotation. I should really start a CT wiki to put all this stuff... ;)

I like the insurance perspective.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
And I thought that's obvious for a CT not shaped as a boat or the distinct possibility of stopping momentarily, deliberately to drop a line, in the middle of a lake. :eek: o_O
Its flat enough, and has a very low center of gravity from the battery pack etc, so I don't think you will need a gyroscope/stabiliser to keep it upright at all.

Of course this depends on just how large the fish is you are going to catch. ;)

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

That means if you park the Cybertruck and leave for awhile or are in your house/apt and go to sleep, besides making sure you set the parking brake on the truck you better remember to have thrown out an anchor or if there is a flood your 30x cold rolled stainless steel with armor glass Cybertruck might be undamaged but it might also have floated to miles away.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Its flat enough, and has a very low center of gravity from the battery pack etc, so I don't think you will need a gyroscope/stabiliser to keep it upright at all.

Of course this depends on just how large the fish is you are going to catch. ;)
Out to catch a big sailfish of course so I can mount it on the sail panel.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Just thought of a new off-road adventure for CT: re-enacting the Huckleberry Finn story of floating down the Mississippi River. That could be fun actually. And one might be able to do it on a single charge. Most of the way would be using no propulsion. But you could drive up a riverbank each night to camp. Use power to cook dinner. Then drive back into the river the next day to keep going. If you hit a sandbar, just drive over it.

That could make for one very lazy summer trip.