Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I’ve given this some thought and here is some ideas:
- rear window glass - does this serve a function? I mean if vault cover is closed, most of the time it will be, then the back window is worthless. You can’t see through it. Why just not take it out and replace and fabricate a pass through?
The app talks to the car via Bluetooth also. Cell service not required, though BT isn't exactly the paragon of reliability either.

Removing the useless rear cabin glass and installing either a hinged partition, or at the very least a hard partition with a USB fan seems like a great idea to me.
There is a possibility that the rear window is structurally part of the whole middle structure that supports the vehicle. Not only in normal driving, but side impact and roll-over. Moving to a sliding or hinged window could possibly compromise the integrity here. If that is the case, then I wouldn't call the rear window worthless or useless.
Sponsored

MilliVanilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S Plaid, F430
Country flag
So if you're moving your kid to/from college and it starts to rain, will their belongings under the tonneau get wet?

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
I certainly don't expect a watertight bed in the Cybertruck. The tonneau cover moves within a channel, after all. And it folds. Making it absolutely waterproof would be challenging.

But it certainly needs to be significantly water resistant.

Beyond the obvious use case of carrying gear - all manner of gear - in the bed that one would wish to remain reasonably dry... some of us will be carrying things like a scissor jack, digital torque wrench, and small electronic air compressor (for, ya know, changing/fixing a tire) in the underbed compartment permanently.

In my Model 3 those kinds of things live within its underfloor compartment, inside the trunk.

Bsimmer3000

Banned
Banned
First Name
Barri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
It would be stupid if they didn’t design the cover to make the bed mostly water tight. People buy covers for a couple of reasons.
1. To secure stuff in the bed
2. To keep stuff dry

Some people require both and tonneau cover are normally rated to show if they are secure and water tight. The problem with the cyber truck is it’s already installed so it should in theory be both. If I can’t keep my construction equipment, camping gear, grocery’s etc etc dry with the vault cover closed then that’s a big problem. It’s actually on my list of requirements and has a check box. If I have to put anything that could be damaged into water tight boxes in the bed then that’s gonna be a big problem for me. A few drips here and there on the bed sides and tailgate wouldn’t bother me too much but if it leaks from every joint then that’s not good.

OP
OP
fhteagle

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, CT Res x2
Country flag
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more o think the powered tonneau is a miss for my particular use case. Not water resistant enough to keep stuff dry by itself. Kyle Conner said he could stick his hand between the tailgate and end of extended tonneau even. That means important things are going in a dry box inside the big bed box, which wastes space.

I'm sure it's great for some people, but not for how I want to use a vehicle of this size. I'd be engineering some kind of hard top that expanded upward like a red tail branded overlanding tent does anyway.

If there was a delete option to recover the space and weight of the powered tonneau roll up area, that would make me happier. If the recovered space could be used for storage, that would be great, but even better would be another 25+kWh or so of battery.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Perhaps I should have used the word “Trivial” instead, wasn’t mocking.

What trucks have HVAC from the cabin to the bed?

Your dogs would be fine, why wouldn’t they be? I think the question is will the crates fit.

It’s s rare thing to see dogs in the back of trucks too, but that’s way more common than someone sleeping in the bed. It’s just not something on Tesla’s list of stuff to worry about.
The good news appears to be that if it rains one's dogs won't go thirsty either, :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored