Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My enthusiasm deflated a tad yesterday when I considered that maybe the 'pricey' boat Mod is reserved for the high-priced Plaid.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So long your buoyant dreams haven't sunk yet, you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

I can't see there being anything more substantially different than the door seals between models, if at all there will be a different model. I can see a water jet propulsion as an optional add on though to cover extra cost. But it might just be paddle wheel caps. ;)

Easy to do with torque vectoring with a motor on each wheel, and 4WS. You can even maneuver on the spot.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is waterproof enough to serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas -- confirms Musk 🚤 1665033740334

Or maybe just the hub pops out of the prototype wheel and pushes the slats of this wheel cover out to create paddles. They might even extend to create spikes! Lol. EM obviously watched to much Bond as a kid. :cool:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is waterproof enough to serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas -- confirms Musk 🚤 9xnlzcvt-900

Last edited:

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
software engineer
Country flag
When using my Cybertruck as a boat I think I'll close the tailgate and vault cover.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think it would be pretty nutty taking your truck out swimming more than absolutely needed. I am a little concerned folks will get themselves into trouble with this.

That said, I see lots of snorkel mods on Off Road vehicles and I would love to be able to ford a creek with confidence.

Also… worth pointing out that the train station is down river from Giga Texas. Maybe Tesla just rolls their newly minted trucks into the river and they float down to a collection pond like they used to do with log harvesting.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is waterproof enough to serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas -- confirms Musk 🚤 1665174794211

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I'm pretty sure the water-tightness is a by-product of air-tightness (for air quality features). I have a hunch they drove it into a tank to test for many aspects of the design and happened to notice that three days later, it was still floating.
Reminds me of the joke:
Mercedes did quality checks on the air tightness of the door seals of their cars by putting a cat in their test vehicle Friday evening. If the cat was dead by Monday the car passed inspection.
Chrysler heard about this and decided to test one of their cars. They put a cat in on Friday, when they checked it again on Monday, the cat had escaped. 😆

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I wasn't paying real close attention when the salesperson was describing all the features of my Model 3, but I think I remember them saying something about "Dock Mode". 🤔

teslamaniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CR-V
Country flag
Won't 'Boat Mode' likely increase the spread of invasive species like the Zebra Mussel? And wouldn't this likely result in all Cybertrucks having to stop and be inspected in the same way that boats are in many states?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can understand opposition sprinkling doubt across the net... A lot of their potential customers would be thinking of holding off right now.

We have EM Twitter to suggest the truck will be watertight.

A. The truck will go a few knots.... sounds like 5-10 Km an hour to me. That does not sound like faux cork ready to slowly sink.

B. You can mount an electric motor on the Tow Bar to go faster.

WTF ? He just disclosed ITS a boat.

1. Plug in an ELECTRIC ? the plug won't get wet ?
It is therefore feasible to maintain itself above water travelling faster than just a few knots.

And why would EM suggest an electric motor if it is only a short distance.

I think sandbagging is to discourage anyone from misinterpreting what he might otherwise say. Some would dream of taking it down raging rivers and across oceans.

Of course, the Darwin awards will one day have some new interesting entries. :ROFLMAO:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Won't 'Boat Mode' likely increase the spread of invasive species like the Zebra Mussel? And wouldn't this likely result in all Cybertrucks having to stop and be inspected in the same way that boats are in many states?
I wouldn't plan on leaving the Cybertruck in the water long enough for them to attach.

But it's a good reminder to hose down your truck between dips. This is important for white-nose disease and sudden oak death, too. Get the mud off before you come home.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I'll take mine to the boat yard to get bottom painted.

I have a funny story about the CA agriculture stop station going nuts when they found one dead mussel on my boat which the pressure washing had somehow missed. The punchline is that when they finally got me on the phone with the QM expert and he asked where we were going (Catalina Island), he was livid that they woke him up or something. Those are freshwater mussels, perfectly fine to dump them into salt water, they will die.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'll take mine to the boat yard to get bottom painted.

I have a funny story about the CA agriculture stop station going nuts when they found one dead mussel on my boat which the pressure washing had somehow missed. The punchline is that when they finally got me on the phone with the QM expert and he asked where we were going (Catalina Island), he was livid that they woke him up or something. Those are freshwater mussels, perfectly fine to dump them into salt water, they will die.
The inspectors don't know where you're going ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored