Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All new vehicles should be able to park by lowering the suspension to protect the cat converter on ICE vehicles and protect the copper motor on the electric vehicles.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
All new vehicles should be able to park by lowering the suspension to protect the cat converter on ICE vehicles and protect the copper motor on the electric vehicles.
It would be quite a challenge extracting the motors from a Tesla. I don’t think you could do it without putting the car up on a lift. Running a grinding wheel up close and personal with that much raw power seems like a bad gamble to fetch $20 worth of copper.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
OMG, come live in Australia.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It would be quite a challenge extracting the motors from a Tesla. I don’t think you could do it without putting the car up on a lift. Running a grinding wheel up close and personal with that much raw power seems like a bad gamble to fetch $20 worth of copper.
👍. Twenty bucks is a lot of money to a bottom of the barrel scumbag. Besides, if I am paying top dollars for a car, the least that the manufacturers can do is to add a feature to make my car as secure as possible. I surely would be willing to trade that for the other useless options that a car comes with.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don't think that pic portrays the lowest suspension mode. Much closer to mid-point.

Please correct my measurements if I’m wrong.

CT has a max 16" ground clearance, and expressed '4 inches either way. Giving 12" inches as the midpoint and most likely default height. 8" clearance would be its lowest.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck pic - in lowest air suspension mode & windows down 1654595042957

Btw, I wanted to see how high the step would be at it lowest… for those interested, I calculated between 33 & 34 cm.

Measurement based on 35" tyre.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
👍. Twenty bucks is a lot of money to a bottom of the barrel scumbag. Besides, if I am paying top dollars for a car, the least that the manufacturers can do is to add a feature to make my car as secure as possible. I surely would be willing to trade that for the other useless options that a car comes with.
It’s not the $20. It’s the sheer difficulty of it. Honestly don’t think it’s possible on the ground.

It is encased in thick aluminum. You’d have to know where the motor is, then cut through an absolutely massive amount of aluminum and risk getting electrocuted in the process. You are also cutting into the structures which hold the vehicle off the ground so risk the car dropping on you.

If nothing else, they are burning through multiple batteries on their grinder and spending 2+ hours under the car.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Side note: Even with the removable battery pack in the Model S, there are no cases of a battery being stolen.

You need a special lift just to move the battery as well as the car.

Let alone the motor.

-Crissa

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It’s not the $20. It’s the sheer difficulty of it. Honestly don’t think it’s possible on the ground.

It is encased in thick aluminum. You’d have to know where the motor is, then cut through an absolutely massive amount of aluminum and risk getting electrocuted in the process. You are also cutting into the structures which hold the vehicle off the ground so risk the car dropping on you.

If nothing else, they are burning through multiple batteries on their grinder and spending 2+ hours under the car.
👍. I don’t care about the cost of damage as much as the inconvenience of hassle the damage has done.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Well I think if you lower it to the lowest then they will not be able to steal the catalytic... I mean a....
o well. LOL

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
* moved post here. originally I posted in wrong thread

------------------------

catalytic converter thieves can get quite a lot of money for catalytic converters

maintenance cost or damage repair (bad collision or catalytic converter stolen) of ICE trucks will continue to increase

-----------------------------

Prince George Scrap Car Removal - How Much is a Catalytic Converter Worth?
Catalytic converter quotes provided by ACR RECYCLING
https://princegeorgetowing.com/how-much-is-a-catalytic-converter-worth/

This varies by car and the condition of your catalytic converter. Still, on average, scrap catalytic converters are worth between 300 $ to 1500 $ when sold as scrap at your local wrecking service.

What Cars Have The Most Expensive Catalytic Converters?
By Dustin Hawley | Mar 03, 2021
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-cars-have-the-most-expensive-catalytic-converters

In general, the larger the engine, the more expensive the catalytic converter.

The car with the second (or third) priciest catalytic converter is not as exotic as Lamborghini or Ferrari but boasts a very well-respected vehicle line. That honor belongs to the Ram 2500 truck, with a catalytic converter price of $3,460. The fourth most-expensive, the Ford F-250, will run drivers $2,804, representing a significant price drop from the top three. Rounding out the top five is the Ford Mustang at $1,500, a relatively modest figure in comparison. The average catalytic converter ranges between $800 and $1,200, depending on the vehicle’s make and model.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
I'm seeing about 5-7% improved range with the Aero covers on my Model 3 Performance at 70-75 mph. It varies a bit depending upon how much wind there is and the apparent wind angle. At 50 mph, the difference is much smaller.
Off topic, but either way that's a bit optimistic and/or exaggerated based on every independent test I've seen since early 2018.... At BEST its about 10 miles of saved range at highway speeds....around town little to none. I took them off at delivery and sold them shortly after. 10 miles isn't worth the eyesore and scratched up alloys underneath IMO.

How are you fitting 18" Aero's on a true performance 3 anyways? They have never fit over the larger calipers without modification. I now have a 19' Stealth Performance 3 that did come with Aero's because the calipers are the standard dual motor size. :unsure:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30169467/tesla-model-3s-aero-wheel-covers-efficiency-test/

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With as tight as they are, maybe not all 18" wheels will work. Just don't get heavy iron or cheap aluminum, I guess.

-Crissa
Sponsored