Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Dodge Ram 150
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
I hope they let us pick up CT from the factory. Anybody else interested in doing this? I don't think Tesla has done this with other vehicles since the roadster.
I'm a short flight there and a good drive back. Why shell out 2k or so for home delivery? I'll be very unhappy if forced to pay for home delivery when Austin is relatively close.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I'm a short flight there and a good drive back. Why shell out 2k or so for home delivery? I'll be very unhappy if forced to pay for home delivery when Austin is relatively close.
BTW, I asked to do this with our Model 3 (in Fremont) and was told that even if I did that, I'd still have to pay the delivery fee.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The fee is a standardized one - they don't actually charge you more for being in New York rather than California - and it's traditionally used to cover paperwork and the service of getting the car ready for use from its storage/transit mode.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
The fee is a standardized one - they don't actually charge you more for being in New York rather than California - and it's traditionally used to cover paperwork and the service of getting the car ready for use from its storage/transit mode.

-Crissa
Actually I don't think its ok to charge a fee. If the fee is in every vehicle then its just part of the price.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Well, I wasn't adding in a delivery fee! Oz is a long way from Texas!
I was thinking of catching a train to Melbourne (160km) to collect, as that would save any fees.
If it did float as a powered boat I would collect in US and go home via Antarctica (love to see the Emperor penguins) :):):)
As I talk to my sister about getting the CT and Tesla (and Elon), we now refer to him as Emperor Elon.

NiceGuyMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Electro/Mechanical Tech
Country flag
I am remaining calm, cool and trying not to get excited but damit, it's getting really hard.
Breaking the piggy bank and started counting my coins.
I have been picking up soda cans. I did try singing on the City Common, but people's ears started bleeding. :p

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
You mean like taking bets like I did months ago against others on this site saying it wouldn’t happen! ??. Now I just hope everyone pays up! Lol

I so want to lose this bet....a bottle of best a very small price to see an early rollout.

Teslaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S P85
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
You mean like taking bets like I did months ago against others on this site saying it wouldn’t happen! ??. Now I just hope everyone pays up! Lol
Hope is good...still hope you are right..though doubts increase.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
It is May 1st
If that was the date they missed by a bunch. There are still area's of the building that they are pouring footings. So those areas are a long way off from dry-in.
BTW I'm very impressed with the pace of construction. They are kicking butt. However, Rome was not built in a day!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
It is May 1st
Monsoon season isn’t here yet. Its raining. Now AUSTIN is in penalty minus rain days plus adds and changes to contract.

GigaFactoryAUSTIN is a landscraper, skyscraper laid horizontal. Standard building principles feature uniform steel structure, concrete floors and TPU-type membrane roofing system. It doesn’t get any simpler. LIFT access 4 sides, on-site staging, storage and freeway right up to the property means free egress was supposedly a non-issue. It doesn’t get any better. BUT logistics impacts, parking and temp facilities have heavily impacted construction. Trucks compete with cars in a queue that shouldn’t. Who’s in charge of traffic?

A PRIME contractor, generally, subcontracts segments of a building to sub-prime Gen’l Contractors after steel erection. Skyscrapers begin 2nd floor and complete floor by floor up to the Penthouse then back to finish 1st floor. This landscraper enjoys the flexibility of ground access. How was a grid engineered systematic steel erection built sequentially in monolith rather than modularly? How is it that it didn’t erect in a manner that availed its construction to fast track completion methods right behind section by section erection? Its lowrise 3 story steel work, 4 floor pours and out! Sub Primes can have access immediately.

Today exists multiple stages of construction in disparate segments not one of which appears to have achieved dry-in, much less May 1st occupancy. Owner equipment(IDRA) is arriving complicating installation and construction work now interferes with unfinished structure at several locations.

Best professional guess? This PRIME, this progress benchmarked to remaining scope of work; AUSTIN dry-in ~ JUN 2021 not a day sooner. Substantial completion JAN 2022 at earliest. Occupancy, Tesla will be lucky to have employees working SOP APR 2022. Like today, lets hope not in mud.

Reactions: Ryv

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Every indication is they made their "first dry in" benchmark. There are buildings (parts of the larger building?) That are roofed and enclosed and manufacturing equipment is being installed.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Monsoon season isn’t here yet. Its raining. Now AUSTIN is in penalty minus rain days plus adds and changes to contract.

GigaFactoryAUSTIN is a landscraper, skyscraper laid horizontal. Standard building principles feature uniform steel structure, concrete floors and TPU-type membrane roofing system. It doesn’t get any simpler. LIFT access 4 sides, on-site staging, storage and freeway right up to the property means free egress was supposedly a non-issue. It doesn’t get any better. BUT logistics impacts, parking and temp facilities have heavily impacted construction. Trucks compete with cars in a queue that shouldn’t. Who’s in charge of traffic?

A PRIME contractor, generally, subcontracts segments of a building to sub-prime Gen’l Contractors after steel erection. Skyscrapers begin 2nd floor and complete floor by floor up to the Penthouse then back to finish 1st floor. This landscraper enjoys the flexibility of ground access. How was a grid engineered systematic steel erection built sequentially in monolith rather than modularly? How is it that it didn’t erect in a manner that availed its construction to fast track completion methods right behind section by section erection? Its lowrise 3 story steel work, 4 floor pours and out! Sub Primes can have access immediately.

Today exists multiple stages of construction in disparate segments not one of which appears to have achieved dry-in, much less May 1st occupancy. Owner equipment(IDRA) is arriving complicating installation and construction work now interferes with unfinished structure at several locations.

Best professional guess? This PRIME, this progress benchmarked to remaining scope of work; AUSTIN dry-in ~ JUN 2021 not a day sooner. Substantial completion JAN 2022 at earliest. Occupancy, Tesla will be lucky to have employees working SOP APR 2022. Like today, lets hope not in mud.
I’ll take that bet (as a gentleman’s bet).

Hookalakupua

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-Motor
Country flag
Hope is good...still hope you are right..though doubts increase.
Please do not take my silence over the past few months as a lack of 100% certainty of deliveries of some magnitude in 2021! ?. My Tibetan-Monk vow to listen rather than speak, is based on the supreme confidence and knowledge I have! Haha. Then again, maybe the silence is too make sure no one knows how foolish I really am! ??.

My unyielding support of Mr. Musk, also has to do with the knowledge that I’m willing to sacrifice chickens and possibly even make certain offerings to the Volcano Gods! ??
Sponsored