AeroKnot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Country flag
... I spend a lot of effort watching for surprises coming from the left and right.
...Kids, animals, cars, etc. You have much less time to perceive & react..
.....In city driving. .... there are more entities and things that can jump out from the sides. Also navigation the roads/street, corners is much more complex than when on highway.
Speed indications and mapping .... need to be in large/huge size font in driver console or a HUD.
...driving in city, having only a center console means I can not drive as safely ..... This is especially reduced on left side since Tesla console is on right.
Yep, I need my info in front of me. A HUD would be great, but would be expensive as it might have to be stand alone glass, as the CT has such a steeply raked windshield it can't be reflected to the drivers eye.
So we're back to a driver side dash screen. Model S and X's have it. Cmon Elon!
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
the moment when you are looking down and to the right at even a M3 or MY speedometer, you can't physically see the car to the left that is about to broadside you through the intersection, or changing lanes into you on the highway.
I agree 100%

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Hi Crissa, I feel that there is an important difference in having to look for detailed information on the screen off to the right and down, and glancing at your metioned items, all of which would keep your peripheral vision up and centered enough to make out an approaching problem more than the CT screen.
Although our "Field of sight" covers 170 degrees horizontally, our Peripheral vision covers 100 deg. so only 50 deg left or right of our central vision. Peripheral vision is "weak at distinguishing color, shape or detail" (Scientific American). A similar existing error chain start is cell phone use, where 23% of all auto accidents are now linked to . Intuitively, I think that also makes sense. Most moving macines have the most critical info displays placed centrally, such as speed, oil pressure, water temperature, altitude, or water depth.
But I consider myself to be an "involved" driver, I like to know what is going on outside the vehicle, and also "under the hood". I do think that many potential buyers of Teslas just want to drive (or be driven) in a car with as little involvement as possible. So the look of a clean, empty dashboard with white "marble" appliques works for them. To me thats like driving a bathroom vanity ;-)
-Brian
USCG licensed Captain, 1600 tons, Oceans
FAA Licensed Pilot, Single Engine, IFR, Jet Mechanic (A&P)
Very Amateur race car driver and offroader
As a Model Y owner I can speak to the speedometer in the upper left of the screen. It takes a total of a day to adapt and I don’t miss having a separate speedo. Its the same as getting used to one pedal driving. You adapt very quickly and you will never want to go back to using two pedals again. One of the attractions to the vehicle was the simple, futuristic and clutter free dashboard area. We absolutely love it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yep, I need my info in front of me. A HUD would be great, but would be expensive as it might have to be stand alone glass, as the CT has such a steeply raked windshield it can't be reflected to the drivers eye.
Sandy Munro thinks it would be slam dunk to do HUD on Cybertruck windshield. He thinks much easier with Cybertruck than most other cars.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Sandy Munro thinks it would be slam dunk to do HUD on Cybertruck windshield. He thinks much easier with Cybertruck than most other cars.
I've never driven a vehicle with a HUD. Anyone on this forum have a current vehicle they drive frequently to share the experience of driving with a HUD? If so, how integral is the HUD to your driving? Can't live without it? Or, wouldn't miss it if it's gone?

I watched a instructional video regarding HUD in a Hyundai Palisade on YT. Near the end of the video there is several disclaimers about HUD.
Tesla Cybertruck ? Cybertruck Spotted at Giga Texas Plant! + Interior Look with Yoke Steering Wheel and Performance Pedals! Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.48.29 AM

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Nice photo, looks to me like when Elon talked to the troops earlier. This photo reminds me of 2019 during the reveal. Tesla showed photos of trucks over the years and how little they have changed. All the legacy/ older established players, follow the formula of what has worked and try to build something they think will succeed/make them money.
This vehicle doesn't look anything like what we all perceive as a truck. Elon said after the reveal that he didn't know if the public would buy this, but that didn't stop them from going in this direction. I LOVE IT!!!

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
The guy in the far left (wearing all black) of the above photo was with the CT in NYC. I remember talking to him. He wouldn't really answer any questions, but clearly he's the CT handler.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That photo is taken on the second floor of the building it was spotted in a couple weeks ago.

The position would be too far inside to see it now... I wonder if it's still there.

-Crissa

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
That photo is taken on the second floor of the building it was spotted in a couple weeks ago.

The position would be too far inside to see it now... I wonder if it's still there.

-Crissa
There was a photo on the second floor, but this one appears to be on the bottom floor. Look to the right and it is at ground level, as evidenced by the ground water just outside the slab. I could be looking at it wrong :unsure:. I still believe it was from the same day, though.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There was a photo on the second floor, but this one appears to be on the bottom floor. Look to the right and it is at ground level, as evidenced by the ground water just outside the slab. I could be looking at it wrong :unsure:. I still believe it was from the same day, though.
Yeah, you can't see the ground. Follow the columns to the ceiling. Also, the part of the electrical tower you can see is near where the drone saw it, the crane platform was just past the tower.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Dirt has a way to make my dreams look real.

That dude must be a giant. Look how much he is bending and his head is still touching the top.

Man, waiting is really not my thing….

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Pleasantly surprised to see that fella leaning on the frunk and not bleeding all over the place. Nerfed?
Sponsored

Last edited: