Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Nissan, Leaf / 2012 Chrysler, Town & Country
Occupation
Survivor
Country flag
Why does he think that the base model will not have air suspension? I heard him say that on this episode. Didn't elon say all versions would have it?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Why does he think that the base model will not have air suspension? I heard him say that on this episode. Didn't elon say all versions would have it?
Yep, standard feature.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Range Rover air suspension is $1800USD per bag when a rock punctures an air bag to replace.

That alone is reason enough to AirSuspension DELETE on my order if it is an option. I'd rather run lifted 10" - 14" on remote reservoir shocked spring suspension. No maintenance other than joints.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Range Rover air suspension is $1800USD per bag when a rock punctures an air bag to replace.

That alone is reason enough to AirSuspension DELETE on my order if it is an option. I'd rather run lifted 10" - 14" on remote reservoir shocked spring suspension. No maintenance other than joints.
IDK which model you are shopping for.. but i can get a PAIR of air shocks for my LR3 for ~$310... they are also EXTREMELY durable

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Sandy Munroe is adamant towing requires solid axel configuration at rear. That sacrosanct design isn't seen in Tesla yet. Sandy is right solid axel stability, handling and dependability.

Tesla skateboard engineering would effectively revert to body on frame handling with a rear solid axel. My bet is that Tesla engineering are testing non-solid axel skateboard prototypes.

Why? Baja and Mars. Solid axel requires center diff/motor. Skateboard eliminates differential hang. SO Tesla skateboard delivers ground clearance front to back equally. Solid axel center diff/motor to frame reduces ground clearance. SO Tesla will want to solve one problem of hanging up crossing loose, windrowed and uneven terrain without dragging the center section or worse high centering on an obstacle nor hanging suspension components up on ground objects.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
If i heard it correctly, he was saying he thinkgs the base model...
Wont have active ride control. meaning it wont act within typically mili-seconds to road conditions.
but regular air suspension is much more comfterable than spring/shock of normal trucks

Rootinboy

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Country flag
I’m good with Air suspension. I have it on my Toyota Sequoia now. My SUV rides like a cloud. I call it a cream puff. Unfortunately, the sequoia has a bad rap with air suspensions not lasting. Mine are not functioning correctly. I’ve chewed up my rear tires due to cupping. Replacement costs.... roughly $2k USD without labor.... I trust Tesla to spec awesome air suspension equipment. Let’s get those CT’s rolling off the production line. Can’t wait to buy mine!!!!

off topic, but still relevant... congrats to musk and SpaceX for that impeccable launch! Doing things that’s never been done before. I know he & Tesla are gonna blow everyone’s socks off with the truck!!!

D101010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MYP
Country flag
I have air suspension on my RAM 1500. Worked flawlessly for 4 Years and then I started having issues. They really do not like cold climates. new compressor and 2 new bags have cost me $1700 just for parts (Not OEM much more). But the Cybertruck with a compressor capable of running tools on board it is most likely a much beefier compressor than the one on my truck.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I do not think Tesla will be using bags, I assume they will be running airshocks and a compressor tank, not only for the suspension, but also for the airtools.

I took Sandy Munro to mean that the base model would not have active suspension either, not that it would lack any air suspension.

I see active suspension more of a Tri-motor feature or option.

Nanodot

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forster
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
For a reference point to Sandy's comment on active damping - go to 18:00 on this video.

Skidmarks68

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Radtech
Country flag
I love Sandys bias towards the big three. When it comes to Trucks the Toyota Tacoma and Tundra far exceed the quality and resale value of the big three. As a matter of fact the Toyota Tacoma was rated the "vehicle" with the highest residual value period. Thats all cars and trucks. If Sandy wants to compare quality he should have focused on a quality Truck. I know the others sell more units each year than Toyota but they have been making trucks for over 70 years with giant government fleet contracts. The Tundra has literally been produced for less than 20.
I would have liked to see a mention of Toyota quality at least.

Cropman

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, 2 CyberTrucks on order
Occupation
Crop Insurance Salesman
Country flag
I love Sandys bias towards the big three. When it comes to Trucks the Toyota Tacoma and Tundra far exceed the quality and resale value of the big three. As a matter of fact the Toyota Tacoma was rated the "vehicle" with the highest residual value period. Thats all cars and trucks. If Sandy wants to compare quality he should have focused on a quality Truck. I know the others sell more units each year than Toyota but they have been making trucks for over 70 years with giant government fleet contracts. The Tundra has literally been produced for less than 20.
I would have liked to see a mention of Toyota quality at least.
Agreed. I’m at 450,000 miles on my 2008 Tundra. Original motor and transmission. Other than brakes, tires, etc all original.
Sponsored