Cybertruck to replace home generator in AC coupled solar application?

starship2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
considering cybertruck - no car now.
Occupation
self emp
Country flag
The Cybertruck I've read has a 240VAC, 30V amp outlet. Where could I locate the full specifications?

Can the 240V inverter remain in the on-state for an extended period of time (so long as there is energy in the battery) or does it automatically turn off after several hours? If it remains on - this allows the Cybertruck to replace a portable ICE generator that could be connected in a grid outage to one's home.

Presently I've implemented AC coupling of my solar inverter to a marine inverter (Magnum Energy MS4048) that provides a grid voltage reference by connecting it to the ICE generator input at my home. This enables the solar inverter to continue operation when the utility grid is disconnected and then to suppememt the batteries with solar power. The advantage of the marine inverter over a generator is that it is bi-directional meaning that when the solar power production is greater than the home load, power will flow 'backwards' though the marine inverter INTO the 10kWh battery pack.

Is the Cybertruck 240VAC inverter capable of supporting bi-directional operation as is required for solar AC-coupled applications?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Interesting, using your inverter to make the power point coupling.

We don't know what sort of power the Cybertruck will have, aside from some base level promises. Thirty amps is a fair estimate, though whether someone has taken 120Vx2 and added them together or not we don't know.

I am quite eager to find out what sort of solutions Tesla is looking at for their on-board power and possibly solar. Even if few people use it, I most certainly would!

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The Cybertruck I've read has a 240VAC, 30V amp outlet. Where could I locate the full specifications?
Musk has said that it will provided 30A @ 240. I don't think that's in any pubslished spec.

Can the 240V inverter remain in the on-state for an extended period of time (so long as there is energy in the battery) or does it automatically turn off after several hours?
As the intention is that it can be used to power tools at a job site it can presumably stay on for extended periods. It will probably have a feature that shuts it down if the battery drains below a programmable level.

If it remains on - this allows the Cybertruck to replace a portable ICE generator that could be connected in a grid outage to one's home.
Yes as long as it is connected through a proper transfer switch and proper load shedding is provided.

Is the Cybertruck 240VAC inverter capable of supporting bi-directional operation as is required for solar AC-coupled applications?
Probabaly not. Musk has never been to sanguine of V2H and V2G but with Ford pusing it as hard as they are Tesla may change it's mind. The hardware in the charger may support bidirectional so that it could be implemented with an OTA update. I probably won't be a DC connection as is the case with the Ford.
Sponsored