Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
And it's often said that the buyers of these big tall trucks are dealing with other size issues.
Sponsored

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
If your idea of 'wins' boils down to: "Which truck can tow the most and has the greatest towing range."

With nearly every other metric the Cybertruck is better, on most metrics, it is *much* better. Cost of operations is going to be worlds better.
We don’t even have a CT but everyone on here Assumes it’s gonna be so much better. I hope I’m still around to find out.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Shoot, were are those pesky little things like “Specifications”, for the CT anyway, anybody seen a set yet?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Things I can't do with the CT on the farm:
Hook up the gooseneck trailer and go get 14 round bales of hay.
What an oddly specific set of examples. Did you accidentally post this here when you meant to post it on farmtruckowersclub.com?

We don’t even have a CT but everyone on here Assumes it’s gonna be so much better. I hope I’m still around to find out.
Right now "Diesel wins" by default because diesel is the only thing on the market.

Until the Cybertruck is on the market, the only comparison we can make either way is based on specs and photos and what we know about how EVs and Teslas work. I'm not making any assumptions, just basing it on the specs Tesla has released and Tesla's track record of hitting or exceeding announced specs on products when they launch.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Shoot, were are those pesky little things like “Specifications”, for the CT anyway, anybody seen a set yet?
If only such a thing existed for all of the trucks. If only.

The CT wins for my needs, currently and in the past (assuming the specs given). But a diesel certainly has higher numbers, that *most* people don't need. Tesla is giving us a near 3/4 ton diesel that will cost a fraction to operate.

So...power and towing... At what point does Tesla have to forcibly limit torque so that people don't rip trailers apart? I'm certain that my travel trailer could not take full throttle on a CT tri.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Towing is often conflated with range which is misinterpreted in speed and availability to add energy into the system.

Towing is the characteristics for the vehicle to tow a low, maneuverability, and impact to energy consumed,

Range is the distance traveled on one cycle, whether gas, diesel or electricity. It is the distance that can be traveled factoring driving conditions, drag and weight.

Conflated issues, how quickly energy can be refilled and ease of finding a fill site.

Gas and diesel are roughly equal to refilling. Gas is a little easier to find than diesel. Both gas and diesel are easier to obtain Compared to charge locations. (The comments are not about the destiny of energy contained in each medium)

With 4 wheel steering, the CT has potential to be in the upper percentile for towing within its weight class. I would not buy a CT if I was towing repeatedly from LA to NY and back monthly. I would use to tow locally or one time long range, multiple charging required.

The ”better” at towing will be biased to individual needs.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
How do you know you can't do those things?

No one has a Cybertruck.

-Crissa
What an oddly specific set of examples. Did you accidentally post this here when you meant to post it on farmtruckowersclub.com?
The Cybertruck is built to roughly the same specs as a Ford F-150.

While the Tri-motor CT might have the horsepower to pull a heavy load the suspension and tires will never safely support the weight. There is also the issue of braking a heavy towed load even with trailer brakes. A loaded gooseneck with a load of round bales is probably bumping 16,000 pounds. And the range would be adversely impacted.
The tires on the dually are 12 ply radial truck tires. The tires on the CT are rated to account for the weight of the vehicle and the rated tow load. They may be rated higher than a car tire but they will not be rated for very heavy loads.
To be best of my knowledge there is no way to install a gooseneck hitch in the CT that will support a heavy gooseneck trailer. You need dual rear tires for stability also.
My point is that there are some hauling applications that the CT will not be suited for.
Until Tesla or some other EV manufacturer builds a heavy duty truck that will do what a one ton or larger ICE truck will do we are stuck with the legacy manufacturers and diesel engines.
As I previously stated.......if they build it and make it affordable I'll be in line to buy it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...the suspension and tires will never safely support the weight. There is also the issue of braking a heavy towed load even with trailer brakes. A loaded gooseneck...
Sounds more like a problem with the load than the truck, then. The Cybertruck isn't going to replace every truck. It can't. Trucks come in size from small side-by-sides to giant tractor-trailers.

I don't know why you'd compare it to trucks it's not aiming to replace.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
The Cybertruck is built to roughly the same specs as a Ford F-150.

While the Tri-motor CT might have the horsepower to pull a heavy load the suspension and tires will never safely support the weight. There is also the issue of braking a heavy towed load even with trailer brakes. A loaded gooseneck with a load of round bales is probably bumping 16,000 pounds. And the range would be adversely impacted.
The tires on the dually are 12 ply radial truck tires. The tires on the CT are rated to account for the weight of the vehicle and the rated tow load. They may be rated higher than a car tire but they will not be rated for very heavy loads...
I don't believe much of that. If it is rated for 3500lb payload as specified, it WILL have the tires and suspension to do so.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
it WILL have the tires and suspension to do so.
Yeah, zero chance of a truck shipping without the ability to meet its spec without mods. The tires we can see on the prototypes are Goodyear MT/R, which I ran for years in load range C on purpose. But they are available up to load range E. Based on the expected weight of the CT being 6500-7k, this matches very well to the 3500 payload.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
While this is all true, a diesel truck can have an excessively large fuel capacity. A friend of mine has an F150 with a 36 gallon tank. At this point, the ability to increase range with only a small weight penalty, and refuel quickly are the two big tricks ICE vehicles have which are still difficult for EVs to duplicate. ICE vehicles with 500 miles (actual) range are not uncommon. That's why the 4680 is so important, it puts a big dent into the weight/ range problem.
I have an F-150 with a 36 gallon tank and it's range still sucks. Many cars with much smaller tanks go further on a fill-up. And you're not having fun until it costs over $100 simply to fill the tank! That is, if your idea of "fun" is looking in your wallet and wondering where all that money you had in there went! ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Light trucks have a max gross weight of 8500 pounds. Cargo capacity is included in that.

8500 gross minus 3500 cargo means <5000 target vehicle curb weight.

-Crissa
Sponsored