BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Country flag
With Rivian now having its configurator live and the ability to see pricing, specs, options, etc. I'm a bit torn. I original, just after the LA Auto show (Nov. 2018) pre-ordered the R1T and now have an R1T Max Pack on pre-order, so maybe sometime into 2022 for a possible delivery? When the CyberTruck came out I reserved the Tri-Motor as it has similar performance spec's to the R1T, 0-60, towing, I just need something that pulls >10K. I have a lot of regard for the level of talent at Tesla, but as I've now watched and followed RJ and his team at Rivian, it looks like they have really tested and tortured the R1T. Do we think Tesla will test the CyberTruck as rigorously as Rivian is demonstrating they are? On Pricing, I think they are closer than the first appearance. Whatever we buy and this will be my wife's daily driver, if it's CyberTruck, she said it will need to be wrapped as she said she's not driving a stainless toster. So Tri-Motor at $70K, + wrap (~$4,000) + I would guess like Rivian a possible upgraded wheel/tire ($3,500) package. This put's my guesstimate at $77,500 for Tri-Motor vs $82,500 (after tax credit) for R1T. My hope is I can test drive both of these by early 2022 and be able to make a decision before placing a final order.
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I have both on order. We'll see when either/both become available which wins. :)

edit: I must admit I am NOT impressed by Rivian's configurator and its associated information.

97trophy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Country flag
As others have said, now Rivian has a huge order from Amazon and possibly others I wonder if they are as committed to the R1T as they should be.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As others have said, now Rivian has a huge order from Amazon and possibly others I wonder if they are as committed to the R1T as they should be.
Or if they will build out the service centers anywhere other than around Amazon locations for the first few years.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I think the R1T will surprise a lot of people. Lord knows they have been endurance testing the crap out of their prototypes.

I think they are simply trying to reduce financial risk before production vehicles hit the market. They are appealing to the adventurous truck buyer who would be taking their vehicles off road in every condition possible. Calling back trucks for a manufacturer recall would be financially detrimental to the company.

I have hedged my bets by reserving a Cybertruck and an R1T. I find both of them very appealing but in different ways.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I really want to like the Rivian, and do, but a 4.5' bed is worthless for my use cases, so I've held off on reserving one and will stick with my Tri motor.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The CT is my first preference over the R1T but it needs to fit in my garage. If it doesn’t I MIGHT go with the quad motor Rivian pickup. I’m still waiting for Elon to reveal the redesigned CT with roughly 3% smaller dimensions.

Last edited:

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Rivian has a tow capacity of 11k lbs, but with payload of only 1760 lbs, you will never get closer to that, unless you are alone in your truck and not carrying much else. A family of five, some firewood and a cooler can easily use up 900lbs of payload, and you only have 860 lbs left for tongue weight of your trailer. Tongue weight must be 10% or more (12-15% preferred) or you will have constant trailer sway. That means trailer must be 5-6k lbs max in that example.

Cyber Truck is in a different category, if the 3500 lb payload holds true. Not to mention, bed size is way more useable.

R1T does look awesome, but if I had my choice, I'd get a CT.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I like R1T a lot. The reasons I went for CT:

Bed Size
Payload
Lower price availability for Dual Motor
Charging network
Vault
potential for mid-gate (I am not holding my breath but that was in part a plus for me)
seats 6
The company is a bit more established. Although it looks like Rivian is going to make it, Tesla is more likely to be around if I need parts.

Things I like about Rivian:
Interior
Spare Tire in bed
It just feels like it is a bit more fun
Available earlier

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
If Rivian had a charging network close to Tesla's it would be a hard choice. My preference is still CT due to charging network and 4680 cells over the 2170 that Rivian will be using

I am expecting the Amazon vans to be Rivians top priority

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hmmm, let's compare real quick: Rivian 4.5ft. bed, Cybertruck 6.5ft. Wait a sec, I don't see any stainless steel on the Rivian. We're done here. ?
Oh, I agree, there's 5000 other reasons I want the CT vs Rivian, but the show stopper is the bed length...the rest I could do without in a pinch, I just don't want too, hence CT Reservation and not R1T reservation! :cool:

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Many of you are truck guys with higher and more specific demands than me, but this may apply to someone else here apart from me: I preordered the CT because of range, price, looks, space (seats+vault), stainless steel durability, and lastly capability in snow and *light* off-roading. The Rivian only competes on the last of my criterias AFAICS, and isn’t truly on the table unless it’s available far before the CT.

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
Hmmm, let's compare real quick: Rivian 4.5ft. bed, Cybertruck 6.5ft. Wait a sec, I don't see any stainless steel on the Rivian. We're done here. ?
Their 4 Motor design makes it an actual truck, one motor per wheel is the only way to go and I hope Elon realizes this and offers it to the california mom "truck"...
And yes, I have ordered the 3 motor option, just hoping Tesla get's it right.
Sponsored