Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Oh, and lest I forget to answer your question, the simple answer is cheap OSB or plywood.
That's what I do for gravel. Granite is hard stuff, and will scratch anything, and then we have to have a surface to shovel against, and you can do things like lift it up at the end and get the last sweeping in a single swoop!

-Crissa
Sponsored

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
That's what I do for gravel. Granite is hard stuff, and will scratch anything, and then we have to have a surface to shovel against, and you can do things like lift it up at the end and get the last sweeping in a single swoop!

-Crissa
Yep, quartz is very hard stuff. I would expect granite, and sand to do a good job of scratching the stainless. How else will I be able to show that my truck has done work if it doesn't have a few scratches?!

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
I didn't see this question until just now. Are you sure you're a contractor?! Even with the spotty welds in my F250, the wheel wells encroaching on the bed, the filler neck tunnel for the fuel tank, and the hundreds of dents created when I've had a front loader dump aggregate into the bed from 4' over, I have always managed to clean my truck bed for hauling furniture, lumber, firewood, or a nice trip to our drive in without mystery stains on clothing.
I am getting the impression that you are a member of this club just to be negative.

Oh, and lest I forget to answer your question, the simple answer is cheap OSB or plywood. The sheeting will provide a malleable surface, and a barrier for the bulk of the material. Then a broom, and if I feel particularly picky my pressure washer for those not so hard to reach square corners of the flat vault bed.
Iā€™m sorry you feel that way. I am very pro Tesla and Elon Musk. I consider Elon one of a the very few people who have lived in this world as a true genius. people who changed the world. People like Alexander Gram Bell, Ben Franklin, Howard Hughes, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs to name a few. But at the same time Iā€™m realistic. Just because Elon tweets out a sentence doesnā€™t mean I believe it. I think thinks about his competition and then reacts to it. If Rivian is in the news, then he comes out with some tweet to brink the CT back into the discussion. Same for a Lucid. Same for some battery manufacture claims. I own a Tesla and my family has several more. I signed. up for the CT right away and would like to purchase one, but Iā€™m not blinded by ā€˜ā€™fan-boyā€™ā€™ Tesla craziness. Just because I state an obvious problem with the design like the steering wheel, the side mirrors or the grooves in the bed doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m anti-Tesla or negative. Look, nobody really knows what to expect became they are not even close to releasing the CT yet. Also in my book itā€™s all just BS talk. Mostly from people who do not own a Tesla. It reminds me of the days when people would tell the returning soldiers from VN, how terrible they were, in of course the people complaining never were there themselves. Everybody is entitled to their opinion so chill out. If the groves do become a big problem we will find out Soon enough. They are not a problem, I will be the first to say I was wrong. But for now, thatā€™s how I feel. Have a great day

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004-ish Toyota RAV4, 2015 Nissan Leaf, & 1973 Chevy Suburban w 454 [RIP 2008-ish Kia Sportage].
Occupation
E
Country flag
I was going to get a Mitzubishi Outlander PHEV, then I heard of another delay in bringing that vehicle to the US, and got on the Model 3 reservation list that night: Oct. 6th, 2016.

Then once the 3 was out, they announced the Y and I got on the Y list.

Then they announced the CyberTruck and I got on that list.
I did end up getting my funds back for the 3 reservation, but I do NOT want to negate my Y reservation.

Somewhere in this sequence of events my Kia Sportage was insurance totaled, so I bought more TSLA with that check, and added that to my Tesla savings account.

My hope is that the TSLA stock increases even more, first fund the first semester of my daughter's tuition, then get the CyberTruck second. Hopefully my TSLA stock increases even more. Then, when her car is worn out, use some of those funds to get my wife the Y. If we're lucky, there may yet be some left over to hold for the long term.

So: yes and no.
We are an example of the CT _delaying_ a purchase of a Y, but NOT completely eliminating it.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Back on topic...

I don't think Model Y will cannibalize Cybertruck sales.

As an example, personally I would never buy a Model Y. IMO, there are too many SUV's around. I had one in the 90's before everyone and their grandmother had one. I used it for..... utility; navigating in 4x4 through the snow and in the woods to the hunting camp up North, towing my boat in the summer, carrying all kinds of stuff in a utility trailer, and for hauling my young family around. I loved it. Then I moved South and didn't need all the utility of the SUV anymore. So, I replaced it with a Dodge Magnum R/T, which I test drove and couldn't wipe the smile off my face for about an hour. :cool:

I like a unique vehicle, and was wondering what could possibly replace my daily driver Magnum, which itself is like a middle finger to the sea of SUV's.

When the Cybertruck was revealed, I knew I found the replacement. It checks all the boxes that the Magnum did for me for a bad ass vehicle, plus towing, extra cargo space and an extra passenger, all of which I'll need again.

As a bonus, it is a BEV, which I've been wanting to transition to for a while but let's just say that I'm not a Prius kind of person. ;)
Tesla Cybertruck Cyberwar (Cybertruck vs Model Y) image

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So, I replaced it with a Dodge Magnum R/T, which I test drove and couldn't wipe the smile off my face for about an hour. :cool:
It's one of the few cars I would call hideous ^-^ But they are pretty posh, I know. Not very efficient at what it does, tho. That's what makes the Cybertruck look good in my eyes.

-Crissa

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
It's one of the few cars I would call hideous ^-^ But they are pretty posh, I know. Not very efficient at what it does, tho. That's what makes the Cybertruck look good in my eyes.

-Crissa
I know, to each their own. But before Tesla, and the crazy horsepower wars of the modern era, way back in 2006, it was the bomb....

Then I rebuilt and cammed the engine...

Tesla Cybertruck Cyberwar (Cybertruck vs Model Y) image (1)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Hope it works out, but the CT will Not come with FSD. Not by 2023 anyways.
You seem awfully sure of that.

It reminds me of the people who said artificial intelligence might be able to do some tasks but there is no way it could beat a Grand master at chess because chess is a game where you need style and skill. It's too complicated for a simple computer to learn - only a human can play chess at a high level.

Then people said a computer could never master the ancient game of "Go". But it did. In only a few weeks if I recall.

Granted, autonomous driving is much more complex than either of those games but computers are hundreds or thousands of times more powerful. Also, the amount of data Tesla is training the neural net with is massive. And the car has eight cameras compared to only two on a human, both looking the same direction at any instant.

Never under-estimate the power of AI or the speed at which it can learn once it's set up to learn a particular task. My opinion is that a lot of people are going to be proven wrong in a very short timeframe. Just because you don't understand how it could work doesn't mean the people working on it don't know what you know (and a bunch more).

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A blower can probably get most of it out if it is dry. If it turn out to be a problem, I have no doubt there will be a rubber strip to add either by third party or as an option by Tesla if you are OK paying more.

Personaly, I like it slippery. It makes dump runs fast and easy for me.
Exactly! You just back up to the pile where they tell you throw your bed full of trash, calmly get out and lower the tailgate while the suspension is lowering in back and raising in the front. Then you climb back in and floor it. Because a body at rest stays at rest unless there is a force acting upon it. Your load will drop straight to the ground as the tri-motor drives out from under it. ?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And where will all that water go? Into the sealed batteryā€™s?

having groves in a truck bed is a dumb idea. Sorry.
Yeah, that's too difficult of a problem for a dumb company like Tesla to solve. :unsure:

It'll never work. :ROFLMAO:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The functionality of new technologies follow an s-curve. Very slow progress for many years until the supporting technologies develop and a synergy happens.

AI is hugely computationally intensive. It's why Tesla is getting close to firing up the supercomputer they call Dojo (which will be more powerful than the most powerful computer in existence. Even without Dojo, computers are thousands of times more powerful than they were in the 1970's. Trying to do complex tasks on even the most powerful computer of the 1970's, 1980's or 1990's is a non-starter. No wonder AI lagged all those years. Now your cell phone has more computing power in your pocket than the computers that ran the Apollo Space program.

Don't under-estimate what AI can do when given the proper platform. And how quickly it will learn. And don't think you know more than those who are advancing the technology every single day.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Exactly! You just back up to the pile where they tell you throw your bed full of trash, calmly get out and lower the tailgate while the suspension is lowering in back and raising in the front. Then you climb back in and floor it. Because a body at rest stays at rest unless there is a force acting upon it. Your load will drop straight to the ground as the tri-motor drives out from under it. ?
In our dumpsite I just open the tailgate, line it up to the edge and push the whole thing down. Slides right off into the container. Theoretically, with CT raised, I could backup, hit the break right when the tailgate goes slightly over the edge and let the conservation of momentum do the rest. With my current truck, I would have to h the break right when it meets the edge and I know I am not that good.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The functionality of new technologies follow an s-curve. Very slow progress for many years until the supporting technologies develop and a synergy happens.

AI is hugely computationally intensive. It's why Tesla is getting close to firing up the supercomputer they call Dojo (which will be more powerful than the most powerful computer in existence. Even without Dojo, computers are thousands of times more powerful than they were in the 1970's. Trying to do complex tasks on even the most powerful computer of the 1970's, 1980's or 1990's is a non-starter. No wonder AI lagged all those years. Now your cell phone has more computing power in your pocket than the computers that ran the Apollo Space program.

Don't under-estimate what AI can do when given the proper platform. And how quickly it will learn. And don't think you know more than those who are advancing the technology every single day.
Oh boy, there's something awfully familiar about all this. Next thing we'll know is that a Miles Dyson invents the neural-net processor.... :eek: j/k

I know that computational power has grown exponentially in my time, and that my test drive in a Model S last year was very impressive to say the least, as was the summon feature that a Tesla owner demonstrated at a Cars & Coffee show.
I remember thinking that although it was still quirky, I was witnessing history being made.

Same thing as when I saw Space X 's rocket boosters descending and landing upright, in unison. Mind bending, as was watching Boston Dynamics robots:

I have no doubt that Tesla will hone the FSD feature and get it right.

In the meantime, I'm nursing my old daily driver along while I eagerly await the Cybertruck.
Sponsored