Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I had a Model Y reserved and cancelled when the CT was announced. I still like the Model Y but I was reluctant to get one because I had a self-imposed set of requirements that the Model Y simply didn’t meet. The CT met them all, and then some. Was I cannibalized? No. My requirements didn’t overlap sufficiently for me to be cannibalized. And this is where I think the distinction is. If a person really wants a family car and SUV then they will lean toward the Model Y. If they need more of a work truck and off-road machine then the CT. It isn’t likely about price in most situations.
Sponsored

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Then there are those like me. Never thought about a S or Y as a realistic purchase. I wouldn’t not have cared one way or the other. Then Tesla offered the CT and I saw something I never knew I wanted. Instead of cannibalising a sale they created one.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Will keep our Model 3 LR Dual or upgrade it to a Y, regardless of the preordered CT (which will turn into a refreshed X if my geographical location means I will have to wait too many years for the CT).

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
It is! A Model Y is literally 3/4s the size of a Cybertruck. You can fit four Ys where you can only fit three Cybertrucks. (That doesn't quite work out in parking places, but if you're like me, not every space will fit a Cybertruck, but most will fit a Model Y.)

That's a big difference, especially if you have to pay for your parking. And yes, most people do, even if it's included in their taxes or mortgage.

And on top of that, a Cybertruck is going to use more energy (50% more, probably) to do the same things. And insurance will be higher. So TCO will favor Model Y.

-Crissa
Why would you compare a truck to a car? Compare it to a vehicle that has similar utility. Compare it to a minivan or another truck. Then the comparison would have validity.

Foxx

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Outback, Eventually a damn Cybertruck
Occupation
Flight Nurse/paramedic/Fire medic, Major USAF
Country flag
Will be getting a Model Y for my wife later this year, followed by the Cybertruck for me.
I’m leaning on the same course of action myself

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Why would you compare a truck to a car? Compare it to a vehicle that has similar utility. Compare it to a minivan or another truck. Then the comparison would have validity.
She didn’t. I did. She was just responding. The reason was the price being the same (CT2 vs Y) and some folks saying they really didn’t need a truck but could not pass up the specs/price ratio. And I do cross shop across categories myself (keeping my truck and replacing a car or keeping the car and replacing the truck). CT can replace them all but it really don’t exist.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
While I like the Y, cancelling my CT was never on my mind because occasionally I need the carrying capacity a truck, not a SUV, offers me. My wife also likes the Y, but prefers the sportier look of the 3, so that'll be her ride.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Will keep our Model 3 LR Dual or upgrade it to a Y, regardless of the preordered CT (which will turn into a refreshed X if my geographical location means I will have to wait too many years for the CT).
I might have already gone this route if Tesla would let me migrate my FSD from the Model 3 to the Model Y. We need the FSD option for my wife (already ordered for the CT) so without a migration path the Model Y order is DOA.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I might have already gone this route if Tesla would let me migrate my FSD from the Model 3 to the Model Y. We need the FSD option for my wife (already ordered for the CT) so without a migration path the Model Y order is DOA.
I understand your frustration but from a business perspective I see why Tesla won't let you transfer FSD functionality from one car to another. I think a nice middle-ground would be to give FSD purchasers a discount for those who want to outright own the functionality with the vehicle.

Deleted member 5322

I was buying M3 for myself and MY for my wife. (Just wanted them delivered on the same day for both of us, therefore it took more time). When CT was announced - I just realized, at that time, for the price of M3 I can have a much larger trunk! I canceled my preorders and preordered 3 CT (one more for my father-in-law)

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Ask the thread originator?

Because you're always comparing things. Why do people pick cars or trucks? Do they consider things like cargo capacity, TCO, parking fees, parking size, what width roads they'll take it on, power consumption?

-Crissa
I suppose I wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to dismiss or express disdain. I apologize. My intent was to express that the cybertruck will be the same size as other full size trucks currently on the road. As such they park in all places except those marked for compact vehicles. I failed to realize that most cars on the road today are compact or subcompact and even the cars considered large are designated as mid sized. Again, please accept that my viewpoint on vehicles includes cars and trucks from the 1940s through the 1990s where full size cars are every inch the same wheelbase and area dimensions as the cybertruck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most cars are midsize, actually, very few are compact or sub-compact. But there are very few full-sized or larger sedans out there.

Most trucks are what would be considered full-size or oversize compared to yesteryears' trucks, tho.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Most cars are midsize, actually, very few are compact or sub-compact. But there are very few full-sized or larger sedans out there.

Most trucks are what would be considered full-size or oversize compared to yesteryears' trucks, tho.

-Crissa
Speaking of oersize...

A few weeks ago crossing a mountain pass during snow conditions, the road warning sign said:
Traction tires advised. Oversize vehicles prohibited.
Thing is though, there is a ski resort at the top and all sorts of large pickups and SUVs were going up there. Plus I saw some full semi-trucks. And large work trucks of various kinds (some were Department of Transportation but others were not). So what exactly qualifies as oversize vehicles in this case? Or is everyone just taking their lives into their own hands here?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Speaking of oersize...

A few weeks ago crossing a mountain pass during snow conditions, the road warning sign said:
Oversize in that context means those trucks with yellow signs saying 'long load' or 'wide load'. Pickups aren't trucks to the highway department. It has to be bigger than a panel van (think u-haul) to count as a truck.

-Crissa

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
I think what would be a good move for Tesla is to have self driving tied to the driver rather than the car. If they are setting it up so when you get into another Tesla it sets the car up the way you like it, it would be even more desirable if your self driving also followed.
Sponsored