Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Do we really have any reason to believe the tambour cover is made of stainless? How would they form the slats to interconnect... wouldn't be able to stamp them. :unsure:
Stainless rubbing on stainless is generally a very bad idea. for moving parts The pieces start shredding each other and the sharp shards get wedged in places that make things stop working. Thats how stainless nuts on stainless screws "gall" and lock up.
Sponsored

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Do we really have any reason to believe the tambour cover is made of stainless? How would they form the slats to interconnect... wouldn't be able to stamp them. :unsure:
Not specifically but Elon says they'll be strong enough to stand on. While stamping might be a no go, there might be alternative ways to create the seal. Perhaps the slats edges will be angled so that when they go flat, the edges can over/underlap each other? IDK. People smarter than me will figure it out.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
Stainless rubbing on stainless is generally a very bad idea. for moving parts The pieces start shredding each other and the sharp shards get wedged in places that make things stop working. Thats how stainless nuts on stainless screws "gall" and lock up.
"Don't match hardnesses on mating surfaces". I would make it out of engineering polymer myself and coat or pigment to whatever color you wanted. Save some $ and weight.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I see the CT appealing to contractors who work in the skilled trades. The practicality of the rolling and locking bed cover, the seating capability, the extreme durability of the SS exoskeleton, the onboard air compressor and electrical outlets to work at “off the grid“ construction sites, the frunk to store tools securely, super durable window glass, etc.

Last edited:

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Ya, and considering Tesla’s recurring paint quality issues, will be nice to skip that step.

In another train of thought — would a polymer wrap decrease drag vs plain steel?
Sponsored