Delivery Day and Rust Rust and Rust

oc_ronald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
This is perfectly normal, if you've ever washed a car, any car, and let it sit without driving it after, rust will form on the rotor, and when exposed, the hubs. Pop on a hub cap if it bothers you, but keep in mind these are rugged trucks, not delicate, regularly waxed and wiped Ferraris. You might have bought the wrong vehicle if rust, scuffs and dirt bother you.
Sponsored

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
Ya, normal. Agreed. Fixable, yes. For sure. No big.

However, when purchasing, it will be perfect.

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Did you actually take that delivery?! I hope not.
I did not.

I had even told them to take their time and that I was going to be looking for scratches and alignment issues and that someone on the forum had one that was dirty with scratches delivered to them. They wanted to know what location had done that and then they did the same thing.

I'm sure some locations do a good job but others don't seem to care. I'm also like 20 minutes from a Tesla dealer and they sent it to one an hour and a half away.

The way they just leave them out at the factory in the dirt and mud with no protection seems problematic. Getting one that is clean, with no scratches and no alignment issues must be like winning the lotto.

DrPhyzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Ariel Atom
Occupation
particle physicist
Country flag
On a new car??? Are we in an alternate universe here or something??
Wash a car one time and let it air dry and unpassivated steel and iron, like brake discs, is going to have plenty of surface rust where drops of water sit for any length of time. If you don't want it to look that way, you have two choices; never get it wet or cover those parts up.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
On a new car??? Are we in an alternate universe here or something??
No alternative universe. Most new cars have rust the first time they get good and wet. Because unpainted steel rusts. The difference here is that you can see the hubs because we are still waiting on the redesigned wheel covers.

If it bothers you, just put some snap in plastic caps over the wheel hubs until the new wheel covers arrive.

The alternative universe for me is that some people still don't know that's normal. You should have seen my brand new 2010 F-150 that had been on the lot less than 2 weeks when I bought it in 2009. It was covered in rust all over the bottom, nuts, bolts, exhaust system, springs, etc. But it's just surface rust.

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
No alternative universe. Most new cars have rust the first time they get good and wet. Because unpainted steel rusts. The difference here is that you can see the hubs because we are still waiting on the redesigned wheel covers.

If it bothers you, just put some snap in plastic caps over the wheel hubs until the new wheel covers arrive.

The alternative universe for me is that some people still don't know that's normal. You should have seen my brand new 2010 F-150 that had been on the lot less than 2 weeks when I bought it in 2009. It was covered in rust all over the bottom, nuts, bolts, exhaust system, springs, etc. But it's just surface rust.
Maybe folks don't think it is normal because like me it's the first time they've seen rust on a new vehicle on the lot, never bought a Ford though. The covers are to be optional, seems like they should already have something that hides it or used another material.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Maybe folks don't think it is normal because like me it's the first time they've seen rust on a new vehicle on the lot, never bought a Ford though. The covers are to be optional, seems like they should already have something that hides it or used another material.
Haha! I don't think it's in Tesla's DNA to buy a bunch of $0.25 plastic caps to cover up the hubs when they are expecting new wheel covers any month now. That's just not how they roll.

Deal with it, or don't. The choice is yours and yours alone. Personally, I love the fact that they don't dink around with meaningless shit that doesn't matter. They know either you want their truck, or you don't, and they are not going to occupy their engineers time sourcing and distributing little temporary plastic covers, so you don't have to see a little bit of surface rust while you wait for the improved wheel covers to arrive. I wish all auto companies were this pragmatic and sensible with their time, money and resources.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Working
Country flag
The way they just leave them out at the factory in the dirt and mud with no protection seems problematic. Getting one that is clean, with no scratches and no alignment issues must be like winning the lotto.
Most, if not all, car manufacturers leave newly built vehicles outside until they ship.
Pretty much no one ever checks the hubs as you can’t see them. No one pays attention to surface rust on the brake discs because why would they, but it’s always there.
I don’t know if most people here checked their prior cars as much as they do the CT, or Teslas in general.
This is reported ad nauseam by the media and on this forum and competing brand forums. I guess drama sells but frankly there’s little to worry about.

Regarding the scratches and blemishes, I would be extremely annoyed with those. But normal surface rust…

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Most, if not all, car manufacturers leave newly built vehicles outside until they ship.
Pretty much no one ever checks the hubs as you can’t see them. No one pays attention to surface rust on the brake discs because why would they, but it’s always there.
I don’t know if most people here checked their prior cars as much as they do the CT, or Teslas in general.
This is reported ad nauseam by the media and on this forum and competing brand forums. I guess drama sells but frankly there’s little to worry about.

Regarding the scratches and blemishes, I would be extremely annoyed with those. But normal surface rust…
It seemed like something in the wheel was rusting not the pads or dust from them, and just in the middle, not all over the wheel. It on it's own, not the end of the world. I've not had a vehicle have rust coming out of the wheel.

The area around the factory seems to have more mud and dirt and some cars have a temporary film on them during shipping. From pictures, it didn't look like the Cybertrucks have that. Even the inside had a layer of dirt everywhere they did not wipe off, inside the cup holder and such. Maybe they left a window open?

Last edited:

Aces Deuce's

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5 Comp
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just got my new truck, and I was really excited about it. But when I took a closer look, I found a lot of problems with it, especially rust.

Finding rust on a brand-new truck, especially on the day it’s delivered, is not okay. It worries me a lot

I plan to take some pictures to show how bad it is and share them with others. I want people to know that when you buy something new, it should be in good condition.

Even though I still like my new truck, I’m disappointed and worried about the rust. I hope this experience helps others pay more attention to the quality of what they buy and the importance of speaking up when there are problems.

I will be sharing with you more pictures tomorrow or Sunday, the piece of the tailgate was also broken.

IMG_5863.jpeg
That's horrible. Especially when purchasing a new vehicle, and in the six-figure zone, it better be outstanding. People on here saying “ah, it's no big deal” have very low standards. I am glad you did not accept it. Totally unsatisfactory. This station gets a No-Go.
Sponsored