Delivery fee waived for pickup?

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
In the past, when I have ordered my Ford trucks, they have been open to waving the delivery fee if I pick it up from the manufacturer (Kentucky or Detroit depending on which truck I bought).

Has anyone asked Tesla if they can wave the delivery fee to pick it up from Austin? I figured getting it direct could possibly save money and be a fun ride home.
Sponsored

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
The delivery fee if negotiated by a previous delear came out of his or her margin. It is standerdized. Doesn't matter where you pick it up, or even if you helped polish it in the parking lot of the factory.

Tesla charges it, and it is in line with other large Trucks/SUVs charged by dealer. There is no escaping it. If you ask. They will look at you with a strange look.
Tesla Cybertruck Delivery fee waived for pickup? 8SR

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
OP
OP
M0unt41nm4n

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The delivery fee if negotiated by a previous delear came out of his or her margin. It is standerdized. Doesn't matter where you pick it up, or even if you helped polish it in the parking lot of the factory.

Tesla charges it, and it is in line with other large Trucks/SUVs
Actually thats not completely correct... at least for my trucks from Ford. If you ordered the truck, the delivery fee actually reimburses the manufacturer for the train/truck ride. You did pick a dealer when ordering, but if you called the mfr and offered to pick it up, they would wave the fee. The dealer even told me they only get a small commission because it was a direct order and they get the D&H/Doc/ Prep fees as part of their margin.

OP
OP
M0unt41nm4n

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Actually thats not completely correct... at least for my trucks from Ford. If you ordered the truck, the delivery fee actually reimburses the manufacturer for the train/truck ride. You did pick a dealer when ordering, but if you called the mfr and offered to pick it up, they would wave the fee. The dealer even told me they only get a small commission because it was a direct order and they get the D&H/Doc/ Prep fees as part of their margin.
Like I said it comes out of dealer margin. The little story you told means nothing. Waiving equals removing from again dealer margin. What story they told you is laughable.

If I didn't know two dealers as owners, and many engineers in the big 3. I wouldn't comment. Yet nothing works that way. Fees and stuff aren't waived in the car world. They are absorbed, and are part of the price you pay.

OP
OP
M0unt41nm4n

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Like I said it comes out of dealer margin. The little story you told means nothing. Waiving equals removing from again dealer margin. What story they told you is laughable.

If I didn't know two dealers as owners, and many engineers in the big 3. I wouldn't comment. Yet nothing works that way. Fees and stuff aren't waived in the car world. They are absorbed, and are part of the price you pay.
Tesla Cybertruck Delivery fee waived for pickup? 1706125286353

https://www.motortrend.com/features/what-are-car-destination-delivery-charges-fees/

and I quote MotorTrend:

What Is a Destination Charge?
A destination charge is a fee associated with delivering a new car from the factory to its point of sale, which is typically a dealership. Manufacturers levy destination charges in order to recoup the costs that come from preparing the car for transportation at the factory, transporting it from the factory to the dealership, then getting it ready to go on sale at the dealership.
I must have made up this "little story"... 🤣

Sorry...I don't mean to feed the troll... but...

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
I picked up a Model S from the Fremont factory in 2013 to drive home to SoCal, and yes, I had to pay the destination fee in that transaction...I also bought some stock back then as well, so I think I made it back a little.... :)

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
1706125286353.png

https://www.motortrend.com/features/what-are-car-destination-delivery-charges-fees/

and I quote MotorTrend:

I must have made up this "little story"... 🤣

Sorry...I don't mean to feed the troll... but...
Excellent,

Except you didn't say anything in that little thing you posted other than a link and a fancy photo.

You are paying it. One way or the other.

Quote from your link
As such, it's uncommon for a dealer to waive or negotiate on a destination fee.

Which means it comes out of the margin. Which means you paid more for the car in first place.....

They told you that to stroke your ego.

Might want to check the name calling. As it sounds like the only thing you are feeding is gas into your monsters. Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M0unt41nm4n

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent,

Except you didn't say anything in that little thing you posted other than a link and a fancy photo.
Huh? Since I had a feeling you wouldn't click the "little thing" (link), I posted the quote from the link. Did you not read it? It basically said your points of dealer margin were wrong. Its a MFR reimbursement.

You are paying it. One way or the other.

Quote from your link
As such, it's uncommon for a dealer to waive or negotiate on a destination fee.
No. You aren't. You HAVE to pay it if you get it from the dealer. Because the MFR needs its reimbursement. The dealer can't wipe it. The MFR can! If you read the link, about 2/3 of the way down, it even says that. 🤣 Did you read the link? It specifically discusses BMW doing that.

Which means it comes out of the margin. Which means you paid more for the car in first place.....
No. Again... read the link. If the dealer orders the vehicle and its on their lot, then yes, they pay it and you pay the dealer for them to reimburse the MFR because they pay it up front. Then and ONLY then would it come out of dealer profit because they are on the hook for it to the MFR. If you ORDER it from the MFR (which I did from Ford), its a different ball game all together. Both the definition by the experts (JD Power, MotorTrend, etc) and my experience with the manufacturers, including the ICE dealers shows it as reimbursement for freight. My dealer point blank stated they don't see a dime of that and that it goes straight to Ford. They even told me to contact Ford if I want it removed. So guess what? I did. Ford said they would wipe it if I came and got it - no ego stroke here. Could margin to Ford (the MFR) be baked in? I don't know... maybe... depends on the dealer distance from the plant. Regardless, it comes back to the more detailed question of "Can the destination charge from Tesla be removed or decreased if freight is taken out of the equation like the traditional dealers?" The clear answer for Tesla, is "No". Answered and conversation is theoretically over.

They told you that to stroke your ego.

Might want to check the name calling. As it sounds like the only thing you are feeding is gas into your monsters. Enjoy.
Bro, there is no name calling - the use of the word troll was not from Dungeons and Dragons, which certainly would have been name calling. It was used as per the dictionary: "to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content". You fired off condescending comments, quite brashly I may add along with incorrect information, when I simply asked a reasonable question because other car MFRs do it and didn't know if Tesla would. That said, we no longer to need to dwell on that as its wasting space, your time, and my time here with a mini-flame exchange. Time to let it go... remember the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you hope they would do unto you." In other words "Be nice". 'Nuff said.

My suggestion is if you wish to debate this further, feel free to PM me... and we can flame discuss it in private and give everyone else a break. This type of exchange is never fun to read. ☹

My apologies to the community for this.
Sponsored