Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Funny how they mention solid state batteries when even Dyson gave that up.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Their numbers are... not realistic.

300 miles range on a 37KWh battery? 500 on a 101KWh?

This doesn't even match their 4.5 mpKW. Which is also unrealistic for the vehicle sizes they're claiming.

This looks like aspirational slides someone was told to make to beat Tesla. I will applaud them when they make it, but they don't even have a prototype.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
By 2024 I fully expect the CT to be in mass production mode in Texas. Given that there is also a whole 'nother gigafactory over in Germany, it would not surprise me at all if a Wolverine version was also being produced at scale before the end of 2024. Keep in mind that the building will be built so there will only be a bit of CT modification to design a Wolverine and then deployment of the factory line that will have already been proven out already by then.
I would love if this were the case.

I think I'm just a bit more skeptical about timelines. Might trade my Model Y in for a mini CT if they become available.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Funny how they mention solid state batteries when even Dyson gave that up.
Dyson had... flaws.

For one, solid state is only in the pre-production stage this year. Prototype packs are being made. We have no idea what they'll workout at. Dyson gave up two years ago. That's a long time ago in technology! They were also looking to manufacture in the most expensive country on the planet.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Their numbers are... not realistic.
This looks like aspirational slides someone was told to make to beat Tesla. I will applaud them when they make it, but they don't even have a prototype.
The whole point of this presentation is to placate shareholders and perhaps delay some of their customers purchase decision until they have an actual product.

Why not be optimistic? It's not like Car and Driver are going to check their figures when they launch in 3 years.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
It's not like Car and Driver are going to check their figures when they launch in 3 years.
Car and Driver at this point is basically the auto fan version of Glamour and Seventeen magazines. A whole bunch of fluffy text with pretty pictures that essentially eats ones soul and distorts reality into a nightmare of disappointment.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Car and Driver at this point is basically the auto fan version of Glamour and Seventeen magazines. A whole bunch of fluffy text with pretty pictures that essentially eats ones soul and distorts reality into a nightmare of disappointment.
Wait.... Did I say that out loud?

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Dodge translation:

We are behind the curve converting to EV. We will use artistic license on the tech released by other companies to delivery what customer opinion has decided upon.

We peppered presentation with buzz words, sprinkled with vehicle shape sheets you are not authorized to see.

Trust us, we have Top People working on this.

Competition is good, I wish Dodge the best.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
That's great that they have ambitions of this sort.

Let's see them actually build any of these EVs first, until then this is all hot air.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
"We will leverage our vast knowledge and decades of automotive manufacturing experience to realize the EV future"

Translation: We tried the Fiat e500 and Chrysler Pacifica hybrid, guess we're all in and hope they don't call our bluff.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
500 miles range is nothing to sniff at. Beats GM, Ford and Rivian! HA!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
500 miles range is nothing to sniff at. Beats GM, Ford and Rivian! HA!
If your vehicle is a pipe dream then you better be sniffing something to make that 500 miles of range claim.

Zenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
+ to more competition.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
500 mile range by 2024 a pipe dream? NAH!
Not for nothing but let's see a prototype and a plan to get it produced and some semblance of what the actual technologies used in the vehicle will be before we blindly believe a 4-minute promo video.

How long is it generally for any other company to go from an EV prototype they could show us of a new vehicle to a production version of that vehicle that we could buy? There seem to be scant few of them that announce or show a prototype and then get that announced vehicle into the hands of consumers within 3 years. And of those examples, how many of them actually match or beat the highlighted specs that were originally announced (like the range number)?

I am totally sure that there will be some vehicles out there in 2024 that have 500 miles of range. Will that be the norm though? Hardly. And even if a company suddenly decides to produce a vehicle to get 500 miles of range, where will they be getting their batteries? From what I have seen, there is getting to be a haves vs have nots differential between the companies who can get enough batteries and those who are desperate for more (or just dropping their production numbers to hide the desperation).

Oh, and he mentioned using solid-state batteries... Good luck getting that tech into production by 2024.
Sponsored