Does anyone know the life expectancy of the Tesla Model S and the Cybertruck?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As did many I ordered the TriMotor to get the 500 mi range more than anything. So why the third motor? An obvious answer is marketing appeal (mine is bigger than yours) but there must be some engineering justification too. The obvious engineering answer is more torque vectoring possibilities and that may be the answer but I suspect it may have to do with towing. Energy consumptions of 1500 or even 2000 Wh/mi while towing a heavy trailer up hill are not inconceivable. That means power of 120 kW going to the drive train at 60 mpH. That's a lot of power and even at 90% efficiency implies 12 kW waste heat to dispose of. It's clearly easier to remove 4 kW of heat from an inverter/motor set than 12 kW so I think that may be the reason. Such high power also, or course, means high torque on the motors implying high stresses on shafts, gears etc. Thus I think spreading that load over three motors may have something to do with it too,
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I wonder if FSD will drive with the blinker on when I drive it as an elderly person.
Ha, that was one of my wife's favorite things about the CT. She can quit having to tell me to turn off the turn signal. I just wonder how the AP will handle her back seat driving directions. Probably ignore her like I do.;):p

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I just wonder how the AP will handle her back seat driving directions. Probably ignore her like I do.;):p
Auto pilot in its current state of development is pretty terrifying to passengers to the extent that many drivers turn it off when they have passengers on board.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Didn't Elon say they are making cars to a "commercial vehicle standard" or something along those lines? That makes me think of buses and semis which routinely get over a million miles, get powertrains rebuilt, and go for another million.

Anyway I'm hoping this is the case as it helps me justify the purchase of a vehicle I probably shouldn't buy but am definitely buying anyway! =)

Criticaladvisor

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F550, 2003 F150, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
I ordered the dual motor but want 500 mile battery. I need the third motor like a cat needs two tails. Anyone else in this boat? I plan to travel off the interstates where super chargers will not likely be installed in my lifetime.
Dude, that is me. I can't pay 70 big ones, but I want 500 mile range.. My guess is Tesla will offer a double stack battery pack for an extra 5K or so

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Auto pilot in its current state of development is pretty terrifying to passengers to the extent that many drivers turn it off when they have passengers on board.
When we test drove a model X my GF thought it was strangely reassuring. We both trust autopilot more than ourselves to an extent since it has 6 more eyes and radar.

Considering I spend most of my days in the work truck the FSD suite will be a godsend for both my work stress and her nerves. Even if it is still just freeway at that point, it's enough of a difference to be worth the money and the future promise of door to door FSD.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
When we test drove a model X my GF thought it was strangely reassuring. We both trust autopilot more than ourselves to an extent since it has 6 more eyes and radar.
Your reassurance comes from a test drive. The reports of turning it off come from people who have had terrified passengers in actual use during road trips. Your opinion may change once you actually drive the vehicle in service. Or it may not. In light traffic it does make the drivers job easier. You can safely take your eyes off the road for a minute to adjust the A/C for example. If I try to do that without auto pilot I'll be drifting towards the edge of my lane. Overall it does improve safety but it does frighten people when it swerves out in front of a car which is approaching in the lane to your left and which is much closer than you, in your judgement, would ever allow when making that move. The oscillation within lanes also disturbs passengers and abrupt lane changes when you allow autopilot to make the change for you seems to upset them. Heading straight for the barrier when it is supposed to follow an off ramp is pretty disturbing too. Would it swerve into the correct path at the last minute? I've never had the nerve to test it. When I see it heading for the guard rail I instinctively take over.

When it helps me relax at the wheel (freeway, light traffic) I use it and arrive more rested than I would were it not available. If the traffic is heavy I don't use it.

They may have it working much better by the time the CT is released. I hope so. I ordered it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The video clip is actually extremely instructive in that it reveals that the process has two parts with the first being training the neural network to correctly interpret the sensor inputs. HAL (always amazed they didn't get sued for using that name) flawlessly read the camera output and understood what the guys were saying to each other. The second part of the problem, and the harder one, is to apply sound judgement in making a decision as to what to do. This is the part of HALs software that was broken.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
When it helps me relax at the wheel (freeway, light traffic) I use it and arrive more rested than I would were it not available. If the traffic is heavy I don't use it.

They may have it working much better by the time the CT is released. I hope so. I ordered it.
Weird, I tested it in heavy traffic and found it worked fine, if not better than I would have. As far as the weird behavior, I think the sensor suite on the CT will be a bit more fleshed out and they're dropping new software in a few months. I'm hoping it's near ready by CT launch only because it's the most taxi g part of my job as is.

It's also worth noting that I live in the Bay area of San Francisco, I imagine their mapping and ai scans are pretty thorough around here.
Sponsored

Last edited: