Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, I was a 21M... MASO, MMT, QA, MOO, DTRA Inspector/Trainer... Now, Ops Analyst at STRATCOM... Tough to figure out what threads I want to reply to a d which I need to just let go. LOL. (526th '01-'04 and 91st '10-'14)
Reply if there's an answer not said or someone you can cheer on ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Yeah, I was a 21M... MASO, MMT, QA, MOO, DTRA Inspector/Trainer... Now, Ops Analyst at STRATCOM... Tough to figure out what threads I want to reply to a d which I need to just let go. LOL. (526th '01-'04 and 91st '10-'14)
Great to hear from another missileer! I was in the 308th SMW at LRAFB from '72 to '75, then ran the Technical Engineering group in the 381st SMW until Martin Marietta lured me away in '79 to work for them on their Titan II support program.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
How sensitive are SSD or eMMC storage to EMP? Technically wiping or corrupting CT code will render it useless, even if the more high power electronics survive.

I'd imagine this is the weakest link.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, I'm curious about how the apocalypse vehicle Cybertruck might fare in something like an EMP attack.

I take it your someone that really thought they'd have their Cybertruck by now. Take a deep breath and focus on your life. If you ordered during the unveiling, it's probable just a few years at most until you take delivery. If all else fails maybe you're someone that actually could benefit from mindfulness exercises or therapy.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
At various times in my military career I was an NBC (Nuclear, Biological. Chemical) NCO.
We humans have created some very interesting and lethal ways to kill each other in large numbers.
The most EMP proof vehicle we ever had was the M35 "Deuce and a Half".
If you had fuel and air and could spin the engine it would fire off and run. If the batteries were dead you could pull or push start it.
I have driven them back to the Motor Pool with the tires singled out, no brakes (in Low Range you are not going fast in any gear), dead batteries and shot alternators.
There was nothing on that truck that an EMP could kill.
When the military bowed down the the environmental whackos and after the EPA ruined the diesel engine every new military vehicle came with an electronically controlled diesel engine.
They were a pain in the ass on a good day and full of grimlins.
None of these trucks will survive an EMP......none.....zilch, zero.
That means that all combat vehicles, tanks, mechanized artillery, Air Defense Artillery, and the support vehicles that haul the beans and bullets will become battlefield monuments.
In addition to that all radios, computers and other vital systems will be FUBAR.
As far as being a prepper and preparing for an EMP.........good luck.
Anything you need after TSHTF you will probably be using when the Pulse happens.
Even if you had redundant commo equipment stashed unless other people do also who are you going to communicate with.
There may be some Ham Radio operators that have made preparations for such an event but they will be few and far between.
Most of us will be looking at our handheld devices and cursing the gods that we have been cut off from the world (or what's left of it).
I do have a couple of old CB radios left over from my trucking days stashed in a metal skinned trailer. If other people have done the same I may have someone to talk to.
it’s great to hear about your old military days it always puts a smile on my face

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
At various times in my military career I was an NBC (Nuclear, Biological. Chemical) NCO.
We humans have created some very interesting and lethal ways to kill each other in large numbers.
The most EMP proof vehicle we ever had was the M35 "Deuce and a Half".
If you had fuel and air and could spin the engine it would fire off and run. If the batteries were dead you could pull or push start it.
I have driven them back to the Motor Pool with the tires singled out, no brakes (in Low Range you are not going fast in any gear), dead batteries and shot alternators.
There was nothing on that truck that an EMP could kill.
When the military bowed down the the environmental whackos and after the EPA ruined the diesel engine every new military vehicle came with an electronically controlled diesel engine.
They were a pain in the ass on a good day and full of grimlins.
None of these trucks will survive an EMP......none.....zilch, zero.
That means that all combat vehicles, tanks, mechanized artillery, Air Defense Artillery, and the support vehicles that haul the beans and bullets will become battlefield monuments.
In addition to that all radios, computers and other vital systems will be FUBAR.
As far as being a prepper and preparing for an EMP.........good luck.
Anything you need after TSHTF you will probably be using when the Pulse happens.
Even if you had redundant commo equipment stashed unless other people do also who are you going to communicate with.
There may be some Ham Radio operators that have made preparations for such an event but they will be few and far between.
Most of us will be looking at our handheld devices and cursing the gods that we have been cut off from the world (or what's left of it).
I do have a couple of old CB radios left over from my trucking days stashed in a metal skinned trailer. If other people have done the same I may have someone to talk to.
Aside from movies, turning off equipment before an EMP event does NOT prevent the EMP effects. One more thing... We DO have military vehicles and aircraft and radios, etc that are designed to withstand EMP events. I even monitored such testing once upon many moons ago.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
People have become so paranoid that they are now fearful of emp attacks! Lol.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
High altitude nuclear blast for the specific EMP effect is not the it-will-kill-you-so-what-are-you-worrying-about? is the issue, not a ground level backpack nuke or short range missile nuclear weapon. High altitude nuclear detonations can wipe out a country's electrical grid.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I'll be parking my CT in a underground concrete bunker, double metal skinned Faraday cage 400miles from the most lonesome metropolis on the planet. Nearest continent- Antarctica. :cool:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You can drive there

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Not good enough. Sheet metal is permeable, in my case it will be buried in iron ore, which is plentiful around here.

The real question will be, if it ever gets that far down here, where exactly I would want to still drive to after such an event, and how I planned on filling up to get back. Better off just staying onsite on 1500acres and carry on building my fort in my tin foil hat. ;)

Serious question though: will solar panels and wind turbines survive? Sort of throws a spanner into the whole doing it for the environment arguement.
Sponsored