Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Can we stop arguing about stupidly named car parts now?
Can we? I’m not so sure. Will we? I doubt it.

Unfortunately, till there is actual progress in producing CTs or new material information about the CT, we are stuck bickering in the purgatory.
Sponsored

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
But I'll ask again, without any expectation of an answer "How does the fact that a transmission is single speed disqualify it from being a transmission?" Can you show me any acceptable definition of the term that includes that requirement? Are you aware that helicopters have single speed reduction gearing that is referred to as the transmission? Are you aware that my boat has single speed reduction gearing?

When you propagate this foolishness (that the Tesla/Leaf have no transmission) you only contribute to the spread of this ignorance. Why do you wish to do that?
You're right that I won't give you the answer, as I suspect you are not as clueless as it seems. When you call the reduction gear a "transmission" when talking to the average person, or even an automotive enthusiast, you and the other person very likely have two very different images in your head, until you further explain what you are talking about. I mean, its clear in this thread alone, that most people do not consider the reduction gear as a transmission. You can certainly assume everyone is ignorant, or you can be reasonable and realize that your technical definition is not the common use of the word.

Also, I don't know anything about your boat. But, I went paddle boarding a few weeks ago, it takes some core strength to stay upright while operating the transmission (paddle)!
If there is a drive shaft then that is the transmission but i think we can agree that the Lordstown Endurance has no transmission.
If we are calling drive shafts "transmissions" now, I think it is pretty clear that you are being unreasonable.

I have yet to hear someone refer to their driveshaft as a transmission.

I mean if we want to call a driveshaft a transmission, I suppose we could call a u-joint a transmission, a differential is a transmission, an axle shaft is a transmission, a wheel and tire is a transmission, pretty much everything between the motor and the road is a transmission!

I was thinking maybe we could call the HV wiring a transmission too, it "transmits" electricity to power the motor?

EDIT: I missed Ogre's earlier post, and apologize that it seems I am just reiterating some of his points.

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
ajdelange is right, it's a transmission.

The big problem is, mechanics have been lying to people for years. When they say they are pulling the transmission out of your car, they are usually referring to one component, not the whole thing. The component mechanics refer to as "the transmission" is probably better termed "the gearbox", though that is kind of vague. ajdelange probably got fired from multiple mechanics for arguing this point, but he is right.

Technically, everything between the wheels and the motor is the "Transmission", the part mechanics refer to as the transmission, the driveshaft, the differentials, the transfer case (4WD), etc etc.

Can we stop arguing about stupidly named car parts now?
But I was just getting started...?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
But I was just getting started...?
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain

Perfect, just perfect!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Did you just call yourself a fool, @ajdelange ?

Then again, we're on an 'owners' forum and so all any of us have are refundable reservations... Spots in a line months (years) long.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Did you just call yourself a fool, @ajdelange ?

Then again, we're on an 'owners' forum and so all any of us have are refundable reservations... Spots in a line months (years) long.

-Crissa
Yeah, it's getting on 2 years and counting at this point for many of those reservations. Actually very cheap entertainment at this point:

$100 / (365 * 2) = $0.14 per day

By the time I get my CT that might be down to around $0.07 per day for all this entertainment. Way cheaper than any other entertainment source I currently have access to.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
By the time I get my CT that might be down to around $0.07 per day for all this entertainment. Way cheaper than any other entertainment source I currently have access to.
Are you saying you are quitting the forum when you get your truck?

My reservation is early enough I figure there is at least another 3-4 years of entertainment lording over those who were slower with their trigger fingers.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Are you saying you are quitting the forum when you get your truck?

My reservation is early enough I figure there is at least another 3-4 years of entertainment lording over those who were slower with their trigger fingers.
Not leaving per se. But my investment for that phase will be MUCH higher and will be for an unknown duration. Plus the entertainment will include more than just this site. Hopefully with a Starlink connection, I’ll be surfing this site from waterfalls, remote lakes, mountain tops, and vast deserts.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
At 80 MPH with FSD...
Learning to drive my dad always got nervous if I took a peak at theview. He would yell at me to keep my eyes on the road.

I am SOOOOO looking forward to being able to see the views as FSD does the eyes on the road part for me. Maybe then I’ll actually be able to SEE the country.

At 80mph I should get in quite a few views.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am SOOOOO looking forward to being able to see the views as FSD does the eyes on the road part for me. Maybe then I’ll actually be able to SEE the country.
Your dad was right. But this is exactly what Sandy Munro said too.

And even with just autopilot I'm comfortable looking out the window if I don't see other cars and the road is straight-ish.