A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
What's the maximum charging on your leaf? 40, 50kW? That's what my garage charger does.
I assume your garage is a commercial operation of some sort with 3ø service? AC charging on most BEV is limited to 10.5 kW though there are still some older Teslas that will take 19.2 and the new Ford will take that much.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
They may pay a fee or a higher rate for the electricity they buy.
This is unlikely due to regulations/ conditions to collect funding.
I'm sure the regulators will get their fingers in there somewhere but note that currently EA charges more per kWh than Tesla does. Where Tesla cannot, because of regulation, offer the service at a profit they simply will not offer the service.

They may or may not be able to charge their vehicle as fast as a Tesla charges.
This is almost certain. Not due to the Superchargers though, nobody benefits from cars hogging up the chargers. Very few non-Teslas support higher charge speeds.
Tesla's don't either really. I was quite surprised to find that on average 67.9% (sd 23.7%) of the time I spend at SCs is while charging at less than 100 kW.

Most non-Teslas have bigger batteries which adds even more to charge time.
I thought most non Teslas were Bolts which have a 66 kWh battery. Anyway, it isn't the size of the battery that usually determines the length of time at a charger. It is the number of miles being replaced and the consumption. Thus it doesn't matter if I drive an AWD CT or a TriMotor up here. I'll spend the same amount of time at the SC with either even though the TriMotor battery is substantially larger than the AWD one. Of course if I'm loading a TriMotor to the max for a run on the beach or in sand dunes then that's a different matter.

And there will be personal interaction with Tesla owners while you wait. One can only stand so many condescending looks. Tesla owners will always extol the virtues of their vehicle to the unwashed masses. You can't buy advertising like that (even if Tesla bought advertising).
Elon may be crazy but he is crazy like a fox.
No comment but that's just worth repeating!

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I LOVE the CT SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!
BUT, I find charge port location and how well it sticks out, Very strange. It’s so visible. It’s sooo not Tesla.
I like how my MS and M3 charge ports are hidden well. CT charge port sticks out like a sore thumb. It truly was the first thing I noticed when I first laid eyes on her. “I NO LIKIE” ?. With Door handles gone, and this is a vehicle built from the ground up, why not Locate charge port where it can be easily hidden like other models? Dual would be cool for easy access etc for V2V in tight areas, off roading and on side of Public roads away from oncoming traffic. Yes. it would only make CT that much more safely accessible, but I’m cool with 1.

Sooooo,
It would be bad ass if Elon would relocate charge port. Like say… possibly inside the solar wing? Or cleverly hidden on side of bumper.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Where Tesla cannot, because of regulation, offer the service at a profit they simply will not offer the service.
One of the goals of Biden's infrastructure plan is to get more charging infrastructure in remote places. If the government is paying a large part of the Capital costs of installing a charging station in a low-use area, it's a lot easier to make a charging station profitable.

Tesla's don't either really. I was quite surprised to find that on average 67.9% (sd 23.7%) of the time I spend at SCs is while charging at less than 100 kW.
Measuring based on time is disingenuous. Unless you always roll into the Supercharger at 50% state of charge or more, you have almost certainly added more miles range to your car at 100+ kW than below that number. I'm sure it varies by model some, but the Model Y and the Model 3 don't taper below 100 kW until over 55% state of charge.

I thought most non Teslas were Bolts which have a 66 kWh battery. Anyway, it isn't the size of the battery that usually determines the length of time at a charger. It is the number of miles being replaced and the consumption.
Spend 30 minutes at a 150kW charger if both cars started from zero charge:

Chevy Bolt - 100 miles range added
Model Y - 240 miles range added

That is the difference between being ready for the next leg of your trip and having to wait enough 20 minutes. At a 250 kW charger, I'd have left already.

One of the big advantages of the tri-motor and it's 500 mile range is it will be much faster charging from mile 0 up to 250 miles. Particularly when you compare to a vehicle like the F150 Lightning which is inefficient and has a huge battery.
Sponsored