Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Arcimoto made it from startup to IPO. Energica and Zero are still in startup mode, but producing vehicles for quite some time. There's a few truck companies like Arrival and whatnot that are actually shipping their box trucks. Lucid is shipping now, like Rivian.

So there's a few that made it. But yeah, the list is pretty long in the tooth of failures. I still hope they make stuff. Aptera is almost to production. And there's a pretty long list of 'we did ship for a few years but never iterated' companies.

That render is pretty interesting, it might be twice as efficient at a Cybertruck. That would still be pretty awesome, if niche.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Arcimoto made it from startup to IPO. Energica and Zero are still in startup mode, but producing vehicles for quite some time. There's a few truck companies like Arrival and whatnot that are actually shipping their box trucks. Lucid is shipping now, like Rivian.

So there's a few that made it. But yeah, the list is pretty long in the tooth of failures. I still hope they make stuff. Aptera is almost to production. And there's a pretty long list of 'we did ship for a few years but never iterated' companies.

That render is pretty interesting, it might be twice as efficient at a Cybertruck. That would still be pretty awesome, if niche.

-Crissa
One of the weird things about design is that tricky bit where you have to go from concept to manufacturing. I suspect these guys haven’t figured out that bit yet.

One of the fascinating things about the Cybertruck is the fact that Tesla seems to have started with how to best manufacture a truck and worked their way backwards from there.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Tesla asked what I wanted, I sent them a sketch with list of options. They took my sketch literally.

(don’t believe anything I type)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla asked what I wanted, I sent them a sketch with list of options. They took my sketch literally.

(don’t believe anything I type)
To be pretty honest, aside from the length, this is what I drew up as a ten-year-old first experimenting with design and fluid dynamics calculators on the school computer.

Of course, the nose looked more like a Barracuda but the full-front bumper was there. As were the angles.

I dreamed about vans like the Aerostar before they were made, too ^-^

-Crissa

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Misstated folded. Retracted stacked and the lowerd flush to bed with a cover lid on top. Basically, the cover is completely hidden from view in the open position.
I think I know what you are saying now.

It would free up bed space vs this Edison design, but if it's mounted flush to the bed, the stack must go under the bed, so I don't see an advantage of that vs what the CT is doing. In fact the CT design might take up less space.

If you're just asking if I would prefer your proposed design vs this Edison design, that depends on whether or not I'm giving up room to store a spare tire.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I think I know what you are saying now.

It would free up bed space vs this Edison design, but if it's mounted flush to the bed, the stack must go under the bed, so I don't see an advantage of that vs what the CT is doing. In fact the CT design might take up less space.

If you're just asking if I would prefer your proposed design vs this Edison design, that depends on whether or not I'm giving up room to store a spare tire.
Always with the spare tire. We all get canned air and will like it.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The bed cover should be called the cobra hood ?

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
To be pretty honest, aside from the length, this is what I drew up as a ten-year-old first experimenting with design and fluid dynamics calculators on the school computer.

Of course, the nose looked more like a Barracuda but the full-front bumper was there. As were the angles.

I dreamed about vans like the Aerostar before they were made, too ^-^

-Crissa
I drew a close replica of KIA Soul when I was five.

Deleted member 11233

Even if the entire roof and bed cover was covered with solar, would the net charging gain be worth the expense?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even if the entire roof and bed cover was covered with solar, would the net charging gain be worth the expense?
Raw cost of solar panels? Yes.
Price retail? Who knows?

This design does seem to have even better aero than the Cybertruck, so there's that.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Depends largely on what your goal for solar is.

I see it more from the perspective of being able to go places where there is no charging and stay there indefinitely. If I go camping, I can go the range of the truck and not worry about daily drain shortening my trip.

If it’s a $2000 upgrade it will probably never save you enough power to pay for itself. But the usefulness of having some power where there is otherwise none is huge.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, $2000 would need to offset 6500kWh to 'pay' for itself.

But of course, you'd get that power whether your camp was set up or you were driving or stuck in a parking lot, which would be pretty awesome... Especially in places your EV would be losing power instead of saving it.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, $2000 would need to offset 6500kWh to 'pay' for itself.

But of course, you'd get that power whether your camp was set up or you were driving or stuck in a parking lot, which would be pretty awesome... Especially in places your EV would be losing power instead of saving it.

-Crissa
I’ve always assumed the solar option would be pricey. Mostly because of the integration pieces and dealing with wiring on an moving array of panels.

Also, car options are more expensive in general.

It’s been mentioned, but having the little plugs so you can easily plug in your own solar would be a very nice inclusion and would only add a small amount to the cost of the car. Of course Tesla hasn’t done this on any existing cars but one can hope.
Sponsored