SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
While it may not be popular with those that wanted a color for their CT, I really think his tweet yesterday is the end of the story. If you want a color, you can do whatever you want with a wrap, but it wont be Tesla option.

Again, they are going for ease of manufacture in as small amount of time as possible. I guarantee they dont want their delivery centers and service techs having to deal with applying/altering/reapplying wraps for people. It just doesnt make sense...
Maybe they will sub it out to local shops that are vetted/certified.
Sponsored

Fenestrator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Occupation
Millwork Sales
Country flag
One of the main reasons for putting a deposit down on this truck, and to me it IS a truck, nothing more, is that it's skin is chip proof, durable and needs only washing. Applied films look great for a little while but are susceptible to scratching, and wear from ordinary use. I doubt with Tesla's mixed record with factory painted finishes that they would fare any better in terms of warranties,, with a applied film.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Old Spice: Thanks -- many of those samples are stunning and just what I'd want. Where did they come from, or how could I specify certain ones?

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Yep.... everyone gets to use their choices.

MAJMurphy

First Name
MAJM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 motor
Country flag
For the inexperienced, if you wrap it, and the wrap is bad, and you want to re-wrap or just go back to stainless, is that an easy exercise or would it potentially damage the surface of the stainless? My concern is new vehicle, new material, and thus some wrap companies that don't get it right the first time.

Delusional

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Pretty close to nothing that it will see in normal situations will corrode the surface. Maybe after fifteen years of use in areas where road salt is used, there will be some slight pitting of the surface? Some chemicals can discolor stainless. If you do get chemicals on there, just rinse it off.
Any wrap you put on it will only protect the surface underneath from chemical damage. If you wrap it, and then unwrap it, the surface will be pristine underneath. Unless of course you screw it up somehow. Many glues are acidic.
Wrapping the flat surfaces of a CT will be far, far easier than wrapping the curved surfaces of a "normal" car.

---CLEANING STAINLESS---
I asked a professional cleaner about stainless. He said there are three old school products he can buy. Stainless Cleaner, Stainless Polish, And a product that has both cleaner and polish combined. He said if you leave the polish on on a kitchen sink for a couple days it will penetrate slightly, leaving a long lasting shine with some non-stick properties. You can leave a layer of polish on stainless forever with no problems, but if you leave the cleaner on the surface for too long it will begin to pit it, and you must wipe dry after using the cleaner. They all contain the same active ingredient that is in lemon pledge furniture polish, and it's what gives it the lemon scent. -I say again, The lemon scent is an active ingredient, not an added scent.- And it's also a somewhat hazardous chemical, highly toxic if ingested and you don't want long term exposure to the skin. He said the only reason it's approved for consumer usage is that the chemical is in very low concentrations, less than 0.01 percent, and the product would be labeled poison otherwise. There's very little of it in there, but still the lemon smell is very strong, that tells you it's a powerful chemical.
He said Jojoba oil is a less toxic alternative for both wood and stainless, and it has a long shelf life.
Then he went into modern nano-coatings. There is a spray-on nano coating, and he has tried it, but wasn't impressed for protection against fingerprints on appliances. He said he might try a different brand.
He said many appliance brands advertise a "no-fingerprint" coating on their stainless, but most of the time it is only half-decent. Then he said that there is one type of nano coating that is extremely good, and very durable, but you have to pay up to get it. He thought maybe the factory baked it on to the stainless, but wasn't sure. He sees it mostly on kitchen faucets, but also some refrigerators.

I will look for more information on the nano-coatings.

Last edited:

davamanra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Country flag
There were some VERY interesting patterns in that slide show! I found the dark camo patterns the most appealing.

AussieCyber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan
Country flag
For the inexperienced, if you wrap it, and the wrap is bad, and you want to re-wrap or just go back to stainless, is that an easy exercise or would it potentially damage the surface of the stainless? My concern is new vehicle, new material, and thus some wrap companies that don't get it right the first time.
That scares me too.

Most here as early adopters will be "Test cases" for wrap shops everywhere.

Panels being taken off, potential stuff ups with wrapping an entirely new vehicle may sour it for some.

Am not going to be confident taking the vehicle to someone who will be using a Cybertruck as their first "practice" vehicle.

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Wrapping isn't that hard...if you use an easier color/finish. Some of the shiny metallic ones show every last mistake. Some of the carbon fiber ones are pretty easy to lay on there (in a garage with a heat gun). Around here you can get a guy to your house to do it for a few (300-800) hundred bucks...if you go to a shop a few thousand.
And where are you from?

quickrch

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford E350 Van, 2014 Ford Focus SE, 2015 Volkswagen Passat, 2006 Subaru Outback Legacy
Occupation
I count things
Country flag
And where are you from?
USA East Coast...outside of Washington DC. I have a buddy who get a wrap in Charlotte NC for about 800...he bought the stuff and the guy came over and wrapped it in a day. Try putting a request out on CL or FB Marketplace...

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." Henry Ford issued this statement in 1909.

Sounds oddly familiar.....

If there are no factory colors i will most likely wrap my CT in matte black....or maybe carbon fiber might look cool
Sponsored