Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Musk can design spaceships, docking stations, satellite launchers, fast trains, tunnel machines, rocket engines, brain implants, computer chips

He can design a magnificent midgate with tonneau and window in his sleep.
Sponsored

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Musk can design spaceships, docking stations, satellite launchers, fast trains, tunnel machines, rocket engines, brain implants, computer chips

He can design a magnificent midgate with tonneau and window in his sleep.
Wouldn't that be hilarious if that was the get up though? That's what messes up his mind.

Definitely not just him, probably not him at all really. But he would prob hop in if problem solving was that imperative.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The challenge of a midgate isn't the vault cover. That is stored below the bed without issue. The challenge the structural integrity of the vehicle when removing that part of the body as a fixed piece. It's like making a car a convertible. Easy to chop the top off, hard to maintain integrity and rigidity without it. It can be done, Tesla will (have) assess the added cost and complexity of adding strength elsewhere to enable a new moving part. The odds of them justifying it went up when the Chevy had one.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yea, just kinda rethinking the "does it need to go through the seat???" thing. One less thing to need to be aligned.

For comparison, the R1T bed cover is a J O K E in build. It stacks "vats" the lock to one another and by spring is pushed out, driven by a geared motor. That spring will get tired, who knows how long. Supposedly they're changing that. Again, i think Cybertruck comes out swinging and will be ruthless.
What do you mean the "vault cover goes through the seat"?

It's always gone through the hollow structure of the bed front wall (midgate) and never touched the seats at all. Why should it? If so then the cabin would have an opening for the vault cover to go through meaning the cabin would be open to the back if the vaultcover was partially open.

Again, look at the shape of the midgate with the folds. If you fold that over into the cab you have a bumpy bed floor because of it. Further, the seats don't fit under the folded midgate, they would have to either fold under the floor area, or the rear seat base would have to fold forwards behind the front seats. That's on top of having to retract the vault cover beforehand. Note: You CANNOT have the midgate open and the vault cover shut, if the vault cover goes through the hollow midgate as it does now. This also ignores any a safety concerns a folding midgate presents for ANY unsecured load killing passengers on impact. One hammer, shovel or even bolt will do on impact, seeing that it will continue travelling at 60mph whilst you are stopped by airbags.

BTW the frame around the midgate window proves that the current prototypes don't have a folding midgate. Because the midgate has to be shortened by at least the window height to fit behind the front seat whilst folded. (Let alone the window can't side into the midgate because of the folds)

Look at this from the Denali:

Tesla Cybertruck 2 Cybertruck Exoskeleton Bodies Arrive at Giga Texas! * UPDATE * Elon Confirmed 1666326311072

You can see the folded seat, and the retracted glass to make it fit behind the front seats when it is down.

This version might work, but only with the vault cover down. (note the midgate height and folded seat)

Tesla Cybertruck 2 Cybertruck Exoskeleton Bodies Arrive at Giga Texas! * UPDATE * Elon Confirmed 1666326517410

I used to want the midgate too, but now I only want it if the solution is both practical and safe.

As for those "getting rid of the vault cover are crazy": in my case I was replacing it with a glass roof instead, which gets rid of all the vault cover issues, and makes it even more aerodynamic, due to the smooth surface and that it could be curved like the front windscreen.

Last edited:

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag

It's always gone through the hollow structure of the bed front wall (midgate) and never touched the seats at all. Why should it? If so then the cabin would have an opening for the vault cover to go through meaning the cabin would be open to the back if the vaultcover was partially open.

Again, look at the shape of the midgate with the folds. If you fold that over into the cab you have a bumpy bed floor because of it. Further, the seats don't fit under the folded midgate, they would have to either fold under the floor area, or the rear seat base would have to fold forwards behind the front seats. That's on top of having to retract the vault cover beforehand. Note: You CANNOT have the midgate open and the vault cover shut, if the vault cover goes through the hollow midgate as it does now. This also ignores any a safety concerns a folding midgate presents for ANY unsecured load killing passengers on impact. One hammer, shovel or even bolt will do on impact, seeing that it will continue travelling at 60mph whilst you are stopped by airbags.

BTW the frame around the midgate window proves that the current prototypes don't have a folding midgate. Because the midgate has to be shortened by at least the window height to fit behind the front seat whilst folded. (Let alone the window can't side into the midgate because of the folds)

1666326311072.png

You can see the folded seat, and the retracted glass to make it fit behind the front seats when it is down.

This version might work, but only with the vault cover down. (note the midgate height and folded seat)

1666326517410.png

I used to want the midgate too, but now I only want it if the solution is both practical and safe.

As for those "getting rid of the vault cover are crazy": in my case I was replacing it with a glass roof instead, which gets rid of all the vault cover issues, and makes it even more aerodynamic, due to the smooth surface and that it could be curved like the front windscreen.
What if they build solar panels into the tonneau that can give the CT a decent amount of charge (between 15-30 miles / day), would you still replace it? Also, the tonneau is supposed to be super strong (Elon stated you could stand on it). It would take some pretty hefty glass to withstand the same pressure, which would probably incur more weight which would impact the CT range. For camping, a glass replacement would be amazing, but personally I don't want people to be able to see inside for what I've got stashed in the vault.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What if they build solar panels into the tonneau that can give the CT a decent amount of charge (between 15-30 miles / day), would you still replace it? Also, the tonneau is supposed to be super strong (Elon stated you could stand on it). It would take some pretty hefty glass to withstand the same pressure, which would probably incur more weight which would impact the CT range. For camping, a glass replacement would be amazing, but personally I don't want people to be able to see inside for what I've got stashed in the vault.
Glass vault cover would have translucent solar panels integrated, same as the rear glass roof will probably get like on the track prototype. Much easier to do solar with glass than the vault cover slats. You can tint it completely otherwise so it's not see through. Also glass is easily strong enough to walk on without being too thick or heavy, just like M3/MY glass roof, that is structural and much stronger than the steel it replaces in a normal car roof.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag

1666326311072.png

1666326517410.png

The assumption we talked about before was that hollow structure was attached to the back of the seats and goes down with them.

The Denali is what inspired all my shared thoughts.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Can't wait till launch when mid gate is not included and we can finally end this discussion. Last 10 pages of this thread also didn't age well.
Morning.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
More like gnight for me! 🤣 :sleep:

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
More like gnight for me! 🤣 :sleep:
Oh, so you’re cranky about the midgate because he won’t get a truck? ;)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Oh, so you’re cranky about the midgate because he won’t get a truck? ;)
Haha.
I'll be driving my truck a year before you mate!

Ordered on the release night for taking delivery in the US. Have another few for Oz.:LOL:
Sponsored