OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Interesting, didn't expect it to lose door handles from the concept. This makes the Cybertruck even more futuristic and forward looking.

So we should probably expect the self-opening and closing doors like the Model X?
Probably no self opening and closing feature. $$$$

The door unlatches and "pops" open partially. Then you open it, sit, and close the door manually.
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Assuming this literally means "no door handles at all", I'm trying to picture how this would work.

Do you have to wave your phone/key fob/card/watch at a certain spot? Will holding it there for a few more second open all the doors?

Will it just detect you and open like the S and X?

What happens if you want to lock it behind you?

Will this be secure for a worksite since it's supposed to be a functional truck?

What if you only want to open a back door?

Does this apply to the gate and tonneau too? Or the frunk and sail cabinets?

Hopefully this all gets detailed in the final design release that's coming up. My need to know more has intensified.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Model X ice breaker in action

see this is why I am just a dummy on the internet and not a Tesla engineer... that's pretty cool... from a "less parts = better" standpoint it sorta seems like trading one part for another, also the mechanisms needed for a self-opening door would seem to add more parts to the overall vehicle vs just a door handle... but someone else here already mentioned that making less cuts on the stainless steel is a smart move, and I can see that making sense

kfede1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvettes, F15...
Occupation
Assassin
Country flag
I would be curious if there will be emergency entrance / exit provisions, so for example in one of my vettes, there is an emergency entrance pull in case the battery is dead or a mechanism failure. In spite of that, an older gentleman died in his Yvette some time back because he lost power inside his vette on a hot day and died in the heat. He was unaware of the location of his emergency release. As long as they have that handled, I am ok with the whole lack of door handles. I imagine the biggest driver for Tesla is the fact that door handles imply stamping the door panels for the handle location.

MARSROVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Occupation
Ed.
Country flag
Interesting, didn't expect it to lose door handles from the concept. This makes the Cybertruck even more futuristic and forward looking.

So we should probably expect the self-opening and closing doors like the Model X?
I'm thinking more like the Mach-E has no handles per se. They have a finger print reader. I'm thinking it will be cameras that recognize who is approaching and simply open but not fully like the X. Elon has commented many times that that car is a Faberge egg and contains many things that simply aren't necessary. I suspect its auto opening and closing may be one of those things.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
wait wait wait... he says HANDLES. like period.. i was thinking doors only.. being narrow minded.. but this would be tailgate, sail panels, frunk, interior and exterior doors.

Now I'm even more excited.

This prevents them from having to cut holes in that thick skin for handles. awesome.

Jhatton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 F150
Country flag
This could be a problem where I live. We get some very cold temps. Freezing windows, doors, and locks are not uncommon.
Not sure how much of a problem it really will be... if there is no opening like a lock or door handle for water to get in to freeze the mechanism than not much that the cold will do. When it has been below 0 where I live the issue is normally a frozen lock or latch due to it getting wet if the whole door is frozen than that is no different than having a door handle other than harder to pull on...

mje

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Internet Provider
Country flag
That's going to confuse potential hijackers and thieves whilst you're standing at the Robot (Traffic light - to those not in South Africa) waiting for the lights to turn green! That and they can't break the side windows with an old spark plug.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I love this update. It will make the truck more difficult to break into, reduce production costs/part numbers and help keep the futuristic styling intact.

Let's hope the teasers keep coming until the reveal to the public in Q2.

cyberda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Cyber (Ordered)
Country flag
I can already see the people living in sub-zero winter states furiously staring at their frozen CT while mashing their Tesla App for the door to open.
Guarantee this is going to freeze up, and not going to work. I've never had a vehicle that at some point during the winter I'm full force yanking the door open because there is a bead of ice around the door frame. I don't see how some auto actuating motors are going to provide enough leverage to overcome this from the hinge side. This sure seems like a dumb idea.

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
I just don't see how this is even possible! I work in an industry where we make door opening and closing systems and by regulation you need to have at least a mechanical override feature in case the electronic method doesn't work according to FMVSS. Very interesting. Can't wait to see how this is going to work.
Sponsored