Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I am intrigued. I assume it means exterior door handles, and the comments so far cover my thoughts. With ice breakers that makes it less concerning, and I'm happy that the look will be even more atypical.

My biggest concern is if this introduces some sort of reliance on a bluetooth connection or app connection, there will be problems. I'm hoping there's some manual-ish way to still open the vehicle.

Maybe its like a flush storage cabinet - you push it in to pop it out?
Sponsored

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can already see the people living in sub-zero winter states furiously staring at their frozen CT while mashing their Tesla App for the door to open.
Even in a car with power steering, as long as you're reasonably strong (and moving!), you can steer it if the power steering goes out. Manual, mechanical backup functionality for critical functions.

Getting into the vehicle without cutting is IMO a critical function. :)

Having said that, the devil is in the details. Some cars have long had flush mounted mechanical door releases, that when pushed in, give access to a lip that effectively serves as a handle. I think Corvettes are an example. There are presumably other possibilities that will allow one to open the door in freezing conditions or when some electrical or electronic problem exists. Hopefully the design will take those scenarios into account.

But who knows, maybe there will be a market for purse/pocket size door catch defrosting fluid bottles. Just remember to take one in with you when you go to your hotel room, and not to leave it in the car.

WFrazier

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck preorder
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Model X ice breaker in action
The icebreaker make so much sense. A little mechanism to pop the door open forcefully.

I was thinking since this morning, what mechanism would be involved in opening the door without a handle. It may just be an ice breaker and then you pull the door open using the side of the door.

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What if the firemen need to get into the vehicle?
I have been thinking of that as well. If the CT has armor glass and no door handles will that present problems for first responders? I know that they have had to adapt to new potential electrical hazards that crashed EV's present. I wonder if these questions are being addressed at planning?

bfayer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Mustang GT, Toyota Prius
Country flag
I highly suspect a touch sensor, with a door popper. App won't be needed to get in the truck. All my vehicles right now have touch sensors for the locks, I don't see it as a major jump to a electric door popper.

TristanHack

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Data & Analytics Director
Country flag
Let’s pray it’s facial recognition or voice activated. Prob won’t be, but I’d love it

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
I have been thinking of that as well. If the CT has armor glass and no door handles will that present problems for first responders?
Just like when electric cars came to market the fire dept. guys had to learn new tricks. I don't think anyone is worried about rescuing people inside, the thing floats, has no gasoline to burn, and is bullet proof. Sounds like you are safer inside.

Not sure how door handles make a difference, if the car is locked they were not going to do anything anyway. If the person inside can unlock it, they can use the manual unlock.

Last edited:

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
This could be a problem where I live. We get some very cold temps. Freezing windows, doors, and locks are not uncommon.
With your neuralink, you will just think about opening the doors, and the doors will open from the inside. They will never be frozen. LOL

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Interesting, didn't expect it to lose door handles from the concept. This makes the Cybertruck even more futuristic and forward looking.

So we should probably expect the self-opening and closing doors like the Model X?
I liked the Model X way of opening the doors, but there have been people here who hate the idea of them for a working truck. Perhaps if there is more configurability of how/when they open in the app they would be more appealing. I personally hate when my hands are dirty or full of things having to use a hand to open the door. Then I get crap all over the place or drop things. I say find a way to make the self-opening doors work for us. One less way for 'bad guys' to get into the vehicle.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Not sure how much of a problem it really will be... if there is no opening like a lock or door handle for water to get in to freeze the mechanism than not much that the cold will do. When it has been below 0 where I live the issue is normally a frozen lock or latch due to it getting wet if the whole door is frozen than that is no different than having a door handle other than harder to pull on...
No handle = no freezing handle, no handle heater, etc. Same functionality but simpler.
Sponsored