Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I am intrigued. I assume it means exterior door handles, and the comments so far cover my thoughts. With ice breakers that makes it less concerning, and I'm happy that the look will be even more atypical.

My biggest concern is if this introduces some sort of reliance on a bluetooth connection or app connection, there will be problems. I'm hoping there's some manual-ish way to still open the vehicle.

Maybe its like a flush storage cabinet - you push it in to pop it out?
Tesla card keys will likely continue to be part of the vehicle.
Sponsored

LTN COLUMBO

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DUSTER PRESTIGE
Country flag
attention aux piles déchargées de la télécommande, aux bugs et aux pannes informatique nous pourrions être obligés de rester dehors! Y a t'il une solution de dépannage, un plan de secours!

Turtle

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With impenetrable windows and no handles, what are you supposed to do if the battery dies? It does happen ....
Not
With impenetrable windows and no handles, what are you supposed to do if the battery dies? It does happen ....
Not to worry! You forget this is Cyber Truck. No handles may mean no doors either. We just teleport ourselves in and out of the craft!;)

Billh

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Tech officer
Country flag
No door handles is a great idea to help with several issues:
It will make production faster as the truck door panels will require less processing time and make the doors easier to clean along with providing a better drag coefficient .
Less parts are always better!
With that said how about using the windshield and roof glass as a solar energy producer as the solar from transparent glass is a viable option these days. Heck you could use the whole truck surface to produce power given the advances in coatings and material sciences.

Take the existing parts and make them do more (more with less is the way to go!)

If they had more time you could actually make the body the battery!
A battery does not need to be a separate item we just have to make use of the material we are putting together have more than 1 purpose!

Going back into my box now!

Its nice to think outside the box and make things happen!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I can already see the people living in sub-zero winter states furiously staring at their frozen CT while mashing their Tesla App for the door to open.
I park my Model 3 at my ski cabin most of the winter. One of the best things about EV's is you don't need to scrape the windows if you leave them plugged in. I just use my phone to turn on all the defrosters and cabin heat before I leave in the morning. By the time I'm ready to go, all the ice has melted away. So much better than having to warm up a big metal engine block and all that coolant and oil before the heat comes out. And no toxic fumes to inhale. Instead, just pure mountain air. :)

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
The Ford Mach E doesn't have door handles either. Button activated which pops open the door. You then pull it open.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
It should be noted. The next gen Roadster does not have door handles.

I wonder how well that works when coated in dust/mud/ice, and if brushing it off (or busting off ice) works.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I like it. The original door handle was getting on my nerves. Even though this will still most likely have an actuator too and will break before a mechanical system would, but at least you don't see the thing moving in and out everytime you get close so you can pretend it is not there.

Guarantee this is going to freeze up, and not going to work. I've never had a vehicle that at some point during the winter I'm full force yanking the door open because there is a bead of ice around the door frame. I don't see how some auto actuating motors are going to provide enough leverage to overcome this from the hinge side. This sure seems like a dumb idea.
We just had a winter. I seriously doubt they wold have put it in a Final design without testing it. I wonder if there is a big freezer just for this type of testing. If Tesla can heat the battery and cabin, they can warm up the door. We can keep a hair dryer and extension cord in the bed in winter to heat things up from outside.

If the truck is completely out of juice and you are stranded, their roadside assistance should be able to hookup external 12V battery to deal with frozen things or blow hot air into problem areas to deal with frost.
I think all EV's or at the minimum all Tesla's should be able to charge each other and get a an alert on their app and screen when a fellow EV driver is out of juice or in trouble nearby.

I just don't see how this is even possible! I work in an industry where we make door opening and closing systems and by regulation you need to have at least a mechanical override feature in case the electronic method doesn't work according to FMVSS. Very interesting. Can't wait to see how this is going to work.
If the pass through is large enough for a person to go through, may be the tailgate would have a secret key hole as a backup.

Why no door handles? What’s the reasoning from Elon?
Now you are getting greedy. It took Elon a year and a half to share this much info. You may have to wait until 2022 to get the answer to those questions ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: