Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Both DO and PAY my taxes would be nice! :)
If you have enough TSLA stock, the PAY part might just work out. Maybe talk to an accountant about the DO part.

speach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100D, Escalade, Acura MDX, Focus ST, PriusC
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I just don't see how this is even possible! I work in an industry where we make door opening and closing systems and by regulation you need to have at least a mechanical override feature in case the electronic method doesn't work according to FMVSS. Very interesting. Can't wait to see how this is going to work.
Similarly, I go inside steel plants, refineries, etc. where they dictate any vehicle inside certain areas of the plant must have the doors unlocked and the "keys in the ignition." If you don't, they can relocate your vehicle in a manner less than pleasing. I am assuming leaving the key fob in will allow anyone to walk up, it will open and they could move it. But I imagine if they don't get close enough, the no-handles aspect could perplex someone not familiar with it. It would be cool if you could just talk to it: "Cybertruck, move back 20 feet" or better yet, "Cybertruck - park somewhere else." Imagine the look on someone's face who was staring at it already confused by the "no handles" and you just told it to park somewhere else, and it did. That would be priceless, honestly.

It should be noted. The next gen Roadster does not have door handles.

Thats cool

Sorry to say that's not a feature I like at all. I expect flush door handles, but not having them kinda sucks assuming a POS smart phone is the only way to operate the thing. Big thumbs down here.
@Rockvillerich really? Seem's pretty pessimistic to make an assumption it will be something so limiting. We honestly don't know what is meant by it, but I think it would be extremely out of character for Tesla to require a "POS smart phone [as] the only way to operate the thing."

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Similarly, I go inside steel plants, refineries, etc. where they dictate any vehicle inside certain areas of the plant must have the doors unlocked and the "keys in the ignition." If you don't, they can relocate your vehicle in a manner less than pleasing. I am assuming leaving the key fob in will allow anyone to walk up, it will open and they could move it. But I imagine if they don't get close enough, the no-handles aspect could perplex someone not familiar with it. It would be cool if you could just talk to it: "Cybertruck, move back 20 feet" or better yet, "Cybertruck - park somewhere else." Imagine the look on someone's face who was staring at it already confused by the "no handles" and you just told it to park somewhere else, and it did. That would be priceless, honestly.

Thats cool

@Rockvillerich really? Seem's pretty pessimistic to make an assumption it will be something so limiting. We honestly don't know what is meant by it, but I think it would be extremely out of character for Tesla to require a "POS smart phone [as] the only way to operate the thing."
I don't think it should be too smart I don't want another Alexa smartie

Bigmac

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat, HD Street Glide & NISSAN Frontier
Occupation
Communications Technician
Country flag
Wow....just can't get a handle on this news.....how will the doors ever open
AI unit?

Mr.Dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Just warm it up remotely, no? Warmth melts ice.
If it's 30° F outsides then yes, it won't take long to heat the sheet metal by 2°.

But the problem with this is the fact that it's common that a lot of cars and trucks can't melt ice on the exterior when they can't output enough heat overcome -30° temperatures.

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I would be curious if there will be emergency entrance / exit provisions, so for example in one of my vettes, there is an emergency entrance pull in case the battery is dead or a mechanism failure. In spite of that, an older gentleman died in his Yvette some time back because he lost power inside his vette on a hot day and died in the heat. He was unaware of the location of his emergency release. As long as they have that handled, I am ok with the whole lack of door handles. I imagine the biggest driver for Tesla is the fact that door handles imply stamping the door panels for the handle location.
None of the Tesla's have door handles on the inside they have a button, and they all have an emergency pull cable exit already. I believe Elon is talking about the outside, I predict it's a deep recessed button on the black doorsill.

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I am intrigued. I assume it means exterior door handles, and the comments so far cover my thoughts. With ice breakers that makes it less concerning, and I'm happy that the look will be even more atypical.

My biggest concern is if this introduces some sort of reliance on a bluetooth connection or app connection, there will be problems. I'm hoping there's some manual-ish way to still open the vehicle.

Maybe its like a flush storage cabinet - you push it in to pop it out?
The manual option is that every vehicle comes with two (credit shaped) cards and you wave it over the b pillar to unlock. Most people set them to valet mode only, to restrict driving features and sensitive info access when other drive for you.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But the problem with this is the fact that it's common that a lot of cars and trucks can't melt ice on the exterior when they can't output enough heat overcome -30° temperatures.
If the car can't melt it at -30F, and it blocks the icebreaker, then why would the puny handle be better?

-Crissa
Sponsored