Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Hello everyone
I’m new to this club. I’m the one who asked Elon about the CyberTruck tease on Twitter. I got lucky and he replied. Very cool.
Welcome! And thanks for asking Elon, we all benefitted from his answer!

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
I get the concern of ICE.
But ICE can keep you out of a car with door handles.
Currently if my F150 doors are frozen shut because of ICE, I have to chip the edges of the door frame before the door handle is going to work.

I acknowledge a good door handle can give you the comfort of yanking on it with a lot of force.

ZackJuban

First Name
Zacariya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wranger
Country flag
Welcome! And thanks for asking Elon, we all benefitted from his answer!
Glad I can help. I know I’m super hyped for this truck. Living in Dearborn MI home to the F150 I see more F150’s a day then I see human beings. Can’t wait to drive amongst them in the CyberTruck

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The model S style handles would be a bigger problem, in ice, then a handle-less door with the icebreaker-pusher option.
I'm in Portland, OR where we have yearly freezing rain/ice storms. Its-a-bitch even with manual door handles :) As usual, the Tesla wisdom has grown on me and now I'm looking forward to this haddle-less-icebreaker function.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have seen in the comments above, the concern for ICE! This is from a Winter storm I drove thru on the way home to Chicago. IT IS A REAL CONCERN! I cannot imagine...
I can't imagine how a handle that's covered in, filled with, ice is going to help you.

-Crissa

valleyCPAP

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hayabusa
Occupation
CPAP store
Country flag
I remember seeing some custom cars with shaved off door handles that used a button under the front fenders to open the doors

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I remember seeing some custom cars with shaved off door handles that used a button under the front fenders to open the doors
Exactly, I posted photos earlier in this thread of my dads 56 Chevy Bel Air. It had the button inside the fender trick in 1959.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon: Cybertruck will not have door handles! 56chevy

S.E.AKTESLA

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Buick Enclave, 2013 Nissan Frontier, 2002 Subaru forester
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I dig it... this will prevent my wife from yanking on the door handle a thousand times before I can hit the unlock button... :rolleyes: I swear its gonna just rip off one day.
Yes my wife does this too! Am surprised there still a handle on her door.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I actually wondered why cars have handles nowadays... most (all?) new cars have solenoids that lock and unlock the car, and the handle seems to activate another solenoid to unlatch it. A cutaway, or pull string could be used to actually open the door.

It seems mechanical connections are going away even more. I guess it's cheaper and easier that way.

Personally I would love a only mechanical car, maybe a huge watch spring, made of modern materials, wound under the car where the battery pack would be. I wonder how much energy can be stored in something like that.... Engineers?

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I actually wondered why cars have handles nowadays... most (all?) new cars have solenoids that lock and unlock the car, and the handle seems to activate another solenoid to unlatch it. A cutaway, or pull string could be used to actually open the door.

It seems mechanical connections are going away even more. I guess it's cheaper and easier that way.

Personally I would love a only mechanical car, maybe a huge watch spring, made of modern materials, wound under the car where the battery pack would be. I wonder how much energy can be stored in something like that.... Engineers?
Without doing the math, I am confident that they could make something that you could hand crank for a few hours the night prior and then be able to back out of your garage in the morning. And then if you had the solar option at the end of the day you could pull back in.
Sponsored