LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Without doing the math, I am confident that they could make something that you could hand crank for a few hours the night prior and then be able to back out of your garage in the morning. And then if you had the solar option at the end of the day you could pull back in.
? I thought you were going to say you’d have to have the solar option, *and* direct sun, to be able to open the door.

I don’t think mechanical springs in known materials are very fitting for propulsion of a vehicle with the range and all the (safety) features we are used to today.

T - Roy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 2-Motor
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I can't imagine how a handle that's covered in, filled with, ice is going to help you.

-Crissa
Correct, but a manual pull handle located elsewhere might help. Maybe like a hood latch cable? (Yes this is another part, goes against the less it more!) Or perhaps a handle that actually protrudes. I know this plays against the aerodynamic nature of deleting them, or making them flush. Perhaps a strong motor to actually break the ice as it opens slowly?

I know the nature of deleting them is to streamline manufacturing, and it is a good premise.

Curious to see what the final decision is!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Correct, but a manual pull handle located elsewhere might help. Maybe like a hood latch cable? (Yes this is another part, goes against the less it more!) Or perhaps a handle that actually protrudes. I know this plays against the aerodynamic nature of deleting them, or making them flush. Perhaps a strong motor to actually break the ice as it opens slowly?

I know the nature of deleting them is to streamline manufacturing, and it is a good premise.

Curious to see what the final decision is!
I am thinking vibration:
https://gow.epsrc.ukri.org/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/M005321/1

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Without doing the math, I am confident that they could make something that you could hand crank for a few hours the night prior and then be able to back out of your garage in the morning. And then if you had the solar option at the end of the day you could pull back in.
I think your vastly underestimating how much energy a large spring can hold. But yea I get the point. ?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Now I am imagining coming out of the house on a frozen day. As I walk toward my CT3 it recognizes my phone. Suddenly it starts to shake like a dog after a swim. And all the ice goes flying in every direction. People walking on the sidewalk stop and stare in amazement. I step over the ice shards as the door pops open. I get in and drive off. Now it it could do that with snow I’d be doubly impressed.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now I am imagining coming out of the house on a frozen day. As I walk toward my CT3 it recognizes my phone. Suddenly it starts to shake like a dog after a swim. And all the ice goes flying in every direction. People walking on the sidewalk stop and stare in amazement. I step over the ice shards as the door pops open. I get in and drive off. Now it it could do that with snow I’d be doubly impressed.
I need a copy of that video.

Actually, the tech is simple to implement. Tesla could have a default Hip Hop track with Base turned up, volume at 75%. Every time, temps are below freezing and you try to get in, system will run it for 30 seconds and the rest is just like you explained.

AdamaCT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Student
Country flag
Yo I live in Guelph Ontario bois, we can get icy mornings, this touchsensor or something is gonna be whack. I can’t be having to scrape off the ice before I can open the door. Plus if they do decide to put it in, it better work immaculately with water on it.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Yo I live in Guelph Ontario bois, we can get icy mornings, this touchsensor or something is gonna be whack. I can’t be having to scrape off the ice before I can open the door. Plus if they do decide to put it in, it better work immaculately with water on it.
You just have to use your tongue

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
This is thought provoking. No handles does not mean there is not a location on the door to touch and it opens, many new cars have this for locking or unlocking if the key fob is present. As for opening a frozen door. I pondered that a bit. What freezes when the door won’t open? Often it’s the door handle, Tesla knows this all too well. Is the door frozen to the weather stripping or the fender and adjacent door? In a freezing rain condition, I think it’s both but beating on the door seems to break the ice adhering around the door to adjacent panels. What if the door mechanism was an electromagnet? Could a reverse of polarity be used to repel the two surfaces and push the door open when unlocked? This would eliminate a servo or actuator that would likely fail in a frozen door situation. When the open command was sent the electromagnet would release and reverse polarity. That would push the door open or if frozen would apply a push polarity as long as the door was closed but signaled to open so while you might still have to break some ice outside, the door will open without you pulling on the non existent door handle. I have no expertise in this field, someone please offer some electromagnetic reality.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What if the door mechanism was an electromagnet?
Interesting thought. I am not sure if I understand what you are saying correctly. If I remember correctly from my school days, electromagnets need current to continue holding their polarity. If there is no mechanical lock and magnets are not permanent, to keep the door closed you have to consume energy at all times. People already have problem with phantom drain in Tesla's. This may kill the battery a lot faster. A combination of a mechanical lock and electromagnets could work but it will reintroduce the freezing problem where ever there is contact.

You could have permanent magnets that are pushed close with another means (actuators or manual) when closing the door. That way there is no contact and you won't lose power. You may need a secondary mechanical safety mechanism so the door does not open passed a certain point if this fails which adds to the complication.

Last edited:

Don Easterly

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I can already see the people living in sub-zero winter states furiously staring at their frozen CT while mashing their Tesla App for the door to open.
Anyone in a cold weather state has experienced pulling on your door latch, and it unlatches, but ice is holding the door closed and it takes a pretty decent tug on a handle to get it to break open. There better be something to get a grip on or this will be a non-starter in cold climates.