O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I look at Tesla's decisions as. Make a choice. Even if it's wrong that's alright. With more data, we'll adjust!
Don't ever be frozen in fear. Fear is the enemy!!!!
no one is talking about fear......my only comment was about issues centering around not being able to see the "real" production model and it final design......since we are told the "design" is completed and tooling is in place, why cant we see it.....thats all I was saying.....the tooling changes at this point would lead to some massive delays I believe.....thats all I am saying
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
no one is talking about fear......my only comment was about issues centering around not being able to see the "real" production model and it final design......since we are told the "design" is completed and tooling is in place, why cant we see it.....thats all I was saying.....the tooling changes at this point would lead to some massive delays I believe.....thats all I am saying
My comment was quoting Cybergus, and it wasn't directed at you in any way. My comment on fear is based on how I live my life, and how I think Elon and his companies seem to be.
Fear is the enemy, that is used as a tool to hold us all back in life.
No Fear!!!!!

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My comment was quoting Cybergus, and it wasn't directed at you in any way. My comment on fear is based on how I live my life, and how I think Elon and his companies seem to be.
Fear is the enemy, that is used as a tool to hold us all back in life.
No Fear!!!!!
no problem.......I did not mean to sound off at all.....just trying to clarify my initial text......seems some quote me and don't seem to care about "out of context" when you only use part of the text.....it takes everything put of context

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
so you say....as an engineer I disagree......I believe design is done by engineering......and production is the product of that engineering feat
Just would like to add that designers, engineers, builders are usually all separate but obviously needs to work together. But design comes first...engineers make that design feasible if possible
..then builders build it. Usually the design will stay the same but it's the engineers that improve the product within without messing up the design. If you keep alternating the design then that's where things get tricky.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
so you say....as an engineer I disagree......I believe design is done by engineering......and production is the product of that engineering feat
Engineers that can't separate out the levels of dialing in a design are not good engineers.

The engineer - or their numbers - should always be nearby. But there's also the 'fun stuff' and the 'fiddly stuff' in engineering, so so my spouse says.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Engineers that can't separate out the levels of dialing in a design are not good engineers.

The engineer - or their numbers - should always be nearby. But there's also the 'fun stuff' and the 'fiddly stuff' in engineering, so so my spouse says.

-Crissa
"Engineers that can't separate out the levels of dialing in a design are not good engineers."

Crissa, what makes you an authority on whether someone is a good engineer or bad engineer? Jeepers, all you do is spout off with your opinion, which is your right to do, but it seems you are always condescending and quick to point out where everyone else's opinions are wrong if they dont disagree with you.....please go back and read my initial text, and read it completely to fully understand my perspective....

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So you're saying good engineers don't define levels of scope?

Because that doesn't sound like good engineering to me.

-Crissa
there you go again, trying to put words in others mouths......and giving your opinion

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
IDRA 9000K live?!

cybertruck-casting.jpg

Confirmation analysis by @cvalue

well it taint the MY … it’s def the CT front casting

6cd9fe23-3fd6-43b2-8cb3-7937330aaa4a-jpeg.jpg

1117ff78-7b39-407b-a863-97a9ef071c47-jpeg.jpg

1badd118-fcdf-4ec6-98e8-9abef96e182a-jpeg.jpg

7fcc55bb-805e-4655-af2a-795027fbf566-jpeg.jpg

4ed87e5b-cda0-4f3c-b2de-a61b60c03411-jpeg.jpg

afc2827a-4e2f-4802-8792-ce0098637241-jpeg.jpg

b46371cc-147d-44ec-a098-3260c75dd263-jpeg.jpg

5421f767-d549-4834-becb-984a46f9923d-jpeg.jpg

I thought the consensus was the front could be done on a 6000t press? We should be excited when we see the rear. The rear is looking complicated. I am thinking it might be a left and right. Maybe the 9000 t might be used for the next model one piece?

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
if design is frozen, and now we see castings, why do they not show a final design and give it to the public......I guess it's still a game of hide and seek except for some CT driving around.......it will be interesting to finally see design especially since they are on the website for reservations
Short answer it is tesla and they don't believe in design freeze dates.. they will continually improve this beast throughout it's lifetime.

they also won't show off any final versions till the delivery event i don't expect as i recall their history has them showing the "Final" version AT the delivery event not before.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
It is my opinion.

But you seem to be asserting I'm wrong without ever actually defining how I'm reading what you wrote incorrectly.

-Crissa
guys please... a Friendly suggestion.. if your post is designed to respond only to someone else in a derogatory way and doesn't move the subject of the thread.. back it up and delete it please.

I would love to see this place remain mostly friendly but it can ONLY do that if we concentrate on the content of the thread we are replying to and ignore those we feel are trying to <or have> insulted us.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Short answer it is tesla and they don't believe in design freeze dates.. they will continually improve this beast throughout it's lifetime.

they also won't show off any final versions till the delivery event i don't expect as i recall their history has them showing the "Final" version AT the delivery event not before.
that's true to some degree......the issue here is that the tooling cost millions of dollars......they are not going to make changes tooling and still meet the fall or December deliveries.....

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
There is going to be a lot of steel in there. we have already seen that there is a substantial interior steel body. That stamped steel interior body will provide the fire wall. There are also going to be a lot of steel parts attached to this casting near the front. The cross member and the front impact bar is not seen here.
Don't be silly. An all-electric car doesn't need a firewall because there is no gasoline or exhaust manifold to protect the occupants from. The portion of the EV that would be a firewall in an ICE vehicle is simply part of the cabin enclosure to keep cold drafts out.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I am not claiming at all that the exterior skin isn't taking loading or even more than normal but it is not taking the vast majority of loading that I would say would be the general understanding of an exoskeleton. I am fairly confident that during the engineering and optimization they reduced some of the skin thicknesses. I would even be willing to go as far as foretelling that all the paneling except for the doors have been reduced from 3mm. Its unnecessary weight and Tesla wouldn't do that. I also think that the 3mm will only remain at the doors to maintain the original claim of 3mm panels and the "bullet resistant" claim. The recent images deviate from the original door patent and seem to show a more traditional stamped steel door interior panel. Which tells me they could have beefed up that interior door structure and thinned out the SS door cladding but IMO they probably wont to maintain the original claim. 3mm steel is 3x heavier than a traditional skin and they have definitely been making reduction to cut weight.
It's possible that Tesla has reduced thickness of some of the stainless exterior but that doesn't preclude denoting the structure as "exoskeleton". When you think about it, all unibody vehicles fit the definition of exoskeleton (more than endoskeleton), it's just that Cybertruck takes it a few steps further. Elon concieved of the basic engineering of the Cybertruck and if he wants to borrow a term from biology to describe the engineering design, that's all good in my book. Creators prerogative.

Some people will always try to detract and confuse the nomenclature but only because one of two things:

1) They don't understand that exoskeletons can be comprised of composite layers and have bulkheads

2) They want to make Elon out as liar/exaggerator and generally detract from his accomplishments.

Anything else is simply splitting hairs that don't need to be split because "exoskeleton" is a descriptor borrowed from biology and has no hard definition when it comes to manufactured items. Lots of things can be described with the term "exoskeleton".

Examples:

Most or all boxes, geodesic domes, refrigerators, amplifiers, bird houses, etc.

Things that mostly cannot be defined as an exoskeleton: most or all footballs, basketballs, backhoes, bulldozers, F-150's, semi-trucks, shovels and rakes, skateboards, diesel locomotives, ATV's, etc.

People are making a big deal over nothing.
Sponsored

Last edited: