RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation AWD CT, M3P, MYP
Country flag
If folks aren't tired of these threads yet, here are my initial impressions 21 miles into to this adventure:

The Good:
- Driving feel is outstanding. I don't agree with all these comments about SbW taking some getting used to. For me it was intuitive and smooth, and I never felt uncertain about what the truck would with a given steering input. Tesla nailed this.
- It drives like a tesla. I didn't notice the size until i accelerated through a corner. And even then it felt predictable and sure footed, just with more body roll than a sportscar, obviously. Normal driving felt like my model 3P which is def a good thing. Not as fast as my M3P, but to me it feels equivalent to my wife's MYP, even though it's not. I don't regret passing on the Beast, and (see above) I've never before bought a car that wasn't the fastest of the product line (Audi S6, M3, etc)
- Luxurious feel. The pics look sparse and clean, but once inside it feels plush and polished
- Too early on range, but I'm very encouraged. I averaged about 380 w/mi in my first 21 miles, mostly stop and go traffic on 101, but with several spirited starts from lights and a lot of button pressing in the parking lots of course
- So roomy and open! The steering wheel is tiny, but it's all you need and feels like an indy car. That means so much space for everything else. No stalks, etc, it's just wide open. Plus the high ceiling and panoramic glass make it feel like you're in a ballroom. But again I am more of a m3 or MY daily driver, although I have a silverado and this is much more open feeling. In the driving pic here, the steering wheel is near its lowest setting, but look at the lap clearance.
- Everyone has raved about the sound system, but I haven't heard a single detail, just "it rocks" or whatever. I'm a 40 something life long bass addict/ car audio nut, since back in my high school booming days. One of my biggest concerns with CT is the lack of 48V car audio solutions. With that context, yes, it's very very good. Bass wise, obviously it will not hold a candle to a decent aftermarket system. But it's the best stock sub I've ever heard by far. I still think i will need more though.... yeah, I know, it's a problem. Mid and high detail is good but not exceptional. Again some decent component 8s or even 6.5s with a quality amp would probably do better and definitely louder. In my opinion equivalent in clarity to my M3P. BUT THE SOUNDSTAGE! I think in coming days we will hear about how they worked to use multiple speakers in the dash against that giant windscreen to project the front stage out and wide. I've never heard so clearly the spatial separation between the singer and drummer, etc, or heard it so perfectly at stage level instead of clearly coming from the doors with a tinny fill speaker in the a pillar. Really good work, JUST SOMEONE DEVELOP A 48V SUB AMP! Should be MUCH cheaper to make and more efficient since the first thing 12V amps do is step up the voltage bigly.

The bad (maybe):
- Very little, I'm thrilled. But...
- Had some spots that looked suspect (like maybe scuffs or stains i couldn't just clean) and they offered to clean it. They said they had to buff it to clean it. Took 30 min, and it was clean, but... there is a spot where it is noticeably shinier/ smoother on that panel now. I think they advising refinished it and didn't use just the right texture. I'm sure they will fix it and only I noticed it so far, but FYI be aware that even at what is probably one of the busiest delivery centers in the country (Sunnyvale), they are figured this out as they go. He also said don't use any chemicals on it, but use alcohol only (which I would say is a chemical but whatever). I'm ignoring all of that and will test out Sheila Shine tomorrow.
- The vertical alignment difference
between the frunk and the quarter panel is sizable. So there is a knife like edge from the quarter that sticks past the frunk edge. I compared with another CT on the lot and they were the same. Not a big deal to me, but not ideal. Anyone else notice this or maybe just this batch? Will try to take a pic tomorrow.
- In person that frunk is pretty silly. Might fit a few bags of groceries I guess, but you'll be using the bed a lot, even for smallish luggage, which is annoying unless you have a bed divider
- service advisor said they would mail me the wall charger and power share hardware. That's totally not true, and whatever, but it was annoying she was more in the dark than me despite handing these over all day every day (according to her)
- yeah, I'll be OK when I no longer walk out to the parking lot to find a hoard of nerds ogling (and fingerprinting) my car... I thought it was interesting the almost equal split between "omg a CT! Lemme see!", "What is that?!", and absolutely zero notice or reaction or give a crap. 3 way split.

20240215_122622.jpg

20240215_121545.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Great! Glad to hear it all went so well. I'm curious what they used to physically buff it, and also glad they seem to have stopped telling people to just use windex.

Hopefully the Sheila Shine will work well, and do agree that alcohol is fine and will remove grease left from fingerprints, and then dry instantly. - But if you use alcohol after the Sheila Shine it might remove that as well. Probably you could just use a lightly water dampened microfiber to clean after applying the Shella Shine.

Also, you might look for the audio equalizer and play around with that some to try and optimize settings the way you like it.

Last edited:

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
- yeah, I'll be OK when I no longer walk out to the parking lot to find a hoard of nerds ogling (and fingerprinting) my car
People have no respect. I can't believe the audacity of someone to walk up to a car that isn't yours and put your grubby hands on it. And then you wonder if they have the audacity to do that, what else are they doing when you aren't there? Next thing you'll find a footprint on the tonneau, because for some reason they think it's okay to durability test something that doesn't belong to them. Or they'll ram a grocery cart into the door or kick it...

There's gonna be fistfights over this if it keeps up. Crowd around and take pictures? Go nuts. Put your hands on something that doesn't belong to you? We're throwing hands.

HTownQ

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla CyberTruck
Country flag
If folks aren't tired of these threads yet, here are my initial impressions 21 miles into to this adventure:

The Good:
- Driving feel is outstanding. I don't agree with all these comments about SbW taking some getting used to. For me it was intuitive and smooth, and I never felt uncertain about what the truck would with a given steering input. Tesla nailed this.
- It drives like a tesla. I didn't notice the size until i accelerated through a corner. And even then it felt predictable and sure footed, just with more body roll than a sportscar, obviously. Normal driving felt like my model 3P which is def a good thing. Not as fast as my M3P, but to me it feels equivalent to my wife's MYP, even though it's not. I don't regret passing on the Beast, and (see above) I've never before bought a car that wasn't the fastest of the product line (Audi S6, M3, etc)
- Luxurious feel. The pics look sparse and clean, but once inside it feels plush and polished
- Too early on range, but I'm very encouraged. I averaged about 380 w/mi in my first 21 miles, mostly stop and go traffic on 101, but with several spirited starts from lights and a lot of button pressing in the parking lots of course
- So roomy and open! The steering wheel is tiny, but it's all you need and feels like an indy car. That means so much space for everything else. No stalks, etc, it's just wide open. Plus the high ceiling and panoramic glass make it feel like you're in a ballroom. But again I am more of a m3 or MY daily driver, although I have a silverado and this is much more open feeling. In the driving pic here, the steering wheel is near its lowest setting, but look at the lap clearance.
- Everyone has raved about the sound system, but I haven't heard a single detail, just "it rocks" or whatever. I'm a 40 something life long bass addict/ car audio nut, since back in my high school booming days. One of my biggest concerns with CT is the lack of 48V car audio solutions. With that context, yes, it's very very good. Bass wise, obviously it will not hold a candle to a decent aftermarket system. But it's the best stock sub I've ever heard by far. I still think i will need more though.... yeah, I know, it's a problem. Mid and high detail is good but not exceptional. Again some decent component 8s or even 6.5s with a quality amp would probably do better and definitely louder. In my opinion equivalent in clarity to my M3P. BUT THE SOUNDSTAGE! I think in coming days we will hear about how they worked to use multiple speakers in the dash against that giant windscreen to project the front stage out and wide. I've never heard so clearly the spatial separation between the singer and drummer, etc, or heard it so perfectly at stage level instead of clearly coming from the doors with a tinny fill speaker in the a pillar. Really good work, JUST SOMEONE DEVELOP A 48V SUB AMP! Should be MUCH cheaper to make and more efficient since the first thing 12V amps do is step up the voltage bigly.

The bad (maybe):
- Very little, I'm thrilled. But...
- Had some spots that looked suspect (like maybe scuffs or stains i couldn't just clean) and they offered to clean it. They said they had to buff it to clean it. Took 30 min, and it was clean, but... there is a spot where it is noticeably shinier/ smoother on that panel now. I think they advising refinished it and didn't use just the right texture. I'm sure they will fix it and only I noticed it so far, but FYI be aware that even at what is probably one of the busiest delivery centers in the country (Sunnyvale), they are figured this out as they go. He also said don't use any chemicals on it, but use alcohol only (which I would say is a chemical but whatever). I'm ignoring all of that and will test out Sheila Shine tomorrow.
- The vertical alignment difference
between the frunk and the quarter panel is sizable. So there is a knife like edge from the quarter that sticks past the frunk edge. I compared with another CT on the lot and they were the same. Not a big deal to me, but not ideal. Anyone else notice this or maybe just this batch? Will try to take a pic tomorrow.
- In person that frunk is pretty silly. Might fit a few bags of groceries I guess, but you'll be using the bed a lot, even for smallish luggage, which is annoying unless you have a bed divider
- service advisor said they would mail me the wall charger and power share hardware. That's totally not true, and whatever, but it was annoying she was more in the dark than me despite handing these over all day every day (according to her)
- yeah, I'll be OK when I no longer walk out to the parking lot to find a hoard of nerds ogling (and fingerprinting) my car... I thought it was interesting the almost equal split between "omg a CT! Lemme see!", "What is that?!", and absolutely zero notice or reaction or give a crap. 3 way split.

20240215_122622.jpg

20240215_121545.jpg
I have been using the frunk by shifting to back packs to carry items. This started bc my son has his back pack for school and another for his sports stuff. They fit very nicely in the frunk. We also just did a short road trip, had 4 packs in the frunk for all our over night needs. 🎒 👍
We also had a cooler in the bed utilizing the tie downs with bungee cords.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag
I have been using the frunk by shifting to back packs to carry items. This started bc my son has his back pack for school and another for his sports stuff. They fit very nicely in the frunk. We also just did a short road trip, had 4 packs in the frunk for all our over night needs. 🎒 👍
That's a good idea!

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
- Everyone has raved about the sound system, but I haven't heard a single detail, just "it rocks" or whatever. I'm a 40 something life long bass addict/ car audio nut, since back in my high school booming days.
Put on "Hotel California" from the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" album (live).

Crank the volume.

You're welcome.

OP
OP
RollingRefrigerator

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree that's a good idea, but long term I'm wondering if there will be a purpose-built or semi-custom L-track mounted fridge that plugs into the 120V outlet back there. I LOVE the idea of throwing my groceries in the fridge so I have ice-cold beer when I get home after running errands!

There are a ton of development options out there for the entrepreneurially inclined. Someone get that 48V subwoofer system started!!!

OP
OP
RollingRefrigerator

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Put on "Hotel California" from the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" album (live).

Crank the volume.

You're welcome.
OK, it's #1 on my playlist for my drive home, good tip! I have moved across genres a bit, and I agree the system excels with more acoustic pieces vs electronic. But I'm not thrilled with the vocals... There is both a muddiness in the midbass range and a shrillness in the mid-treble range that I dislike. And yes, I listen to music WAY too loud (1-2 ticks from max mostly), and these muddy/shrill aspects are reduced at lower volume. To be fair this is the case for EVERY stock stereo I've ever heard, so it's an unfair comparison, but still I find myself EQ'ing out a couple of bands to hide this a bit.

Again, the spatial breadth and separation and overall immersive feel is unmatched, so I'm splitting hairs here. And I know I'm asking a lot of these stock speakers. Just saying there is still room for improvement!

Also, on the subs: I played with them more on the drive this morning. They do very well for kick drums, etc. They start to struggle with EDM and hip-hop with deeper bass notes. My ear test says they start to drop off pretty quickly around 70-80 Hz or so, which isn't bad for a stock system, but it happens steeply. And personally I love me some 40 Hz booming tracks!

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
OK, it's #1 on my playlist for my drive home, good tip! I have moved across genres a bit, and I agree the system excels with more acoustic pieces vs electronic. But I'm not thrilled with the vocals... There is both a muddiness in the midbass range and a shrillness in the mid-treble range that I dislike. And yes, I listen to music WAY too loud (1-2 ticks from max mostly), and these muddy/shrill aspects are reduced at lower volume. To be fair this is the case for EVERY stock stereo I've ever heard, so it's an unfair comparison, but still I find myself EQ'ing out a couple of bands to hide this a bit.

Again, the spatial breadth and separation and overall immersive feel is unmatched, so I'm splitting hairs here. And I know I'm asking a lot of these stock speakers. Just saying there is still room for improvement!

Also, on the subs: I played with them more on the drive this morning. They do very well for kick drums, etc. They start to struggle with EDM and hip-hop with deeper bass notes. My ear test says they start to drop off pretty quickly around 70-80 Hz or so, which isn't bad for a stock system, but it happens steeply. And personally I love me some 40 Hz booming tracks!
i think your a little over obsessive with your audio, 99.9% don't care THIS much

Fallenhero

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage X-Line, 2023 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I'm so jealous. I wish I could afford the FS but praying we get the standard version in a few months.
Enjoy that beautiful truck.

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Agree that's a good idea, but long term I'm wondering if there will be a purpose-built or semi-custom L-track mounted fridge that plugs into the 120V outlet back there. I LOVE the idea of throwing my groceries in the fridge so I have ice-cold beer when I get home after running errands!

There are a ton of development options out there for the entrepreneurially inclined. Someone get that 48V subwoofer system started!!!
I remember seeing a post with details from the owner's manual that showed the 120vac outlet in the bed is disabled when the vehicle is underway. Can someone check me on that?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I remember seeing a post with details from the owner's manual that showed the 120vac outlet in the bed is disabled when the vehicle is underway. Can someone check me on that?
All of this depends upon the version of software in the truck.

-Crissa

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't have mine yet but I've checked it out hands-on in person. With self-open and close I think the frunk will be a nice step up for us frunk people.
Sponsored