Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
If you haven’t seen the many videos, if you put something like a finger on the edge where the frunk closes, it will currently chop it off. They intend to fix that. The Cybertruck light show shows us that they can control frunk position and opening/closing speed so they ‘can’ do it.
Go to ANY vehicle, open the front door. Please your finger or carrot between the leading edge of the front door and the panel in front. For that matter, place it behind the trailing edge and close the door.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Country flag
For sure. But there are probably 20 daily things we come into contact with that can do exactly this. It’s silly.
But if your competition is handling a similar situation better than you, perhaps best to just fix it. It started with OOS observing a potential pinch point and, for fun, comparing this, the Lightning, R1T and MX. Rivian uses a hardware sensor, as does the MX (I think the tailgate, but not the Falcon).

Given the sharp corner and automated close, it’s a good look that it be tweaked.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Go to ANY vehicle, open the front door. Please your finger or carrot between the leading edge of the front door and the panel in front. For that matter, place it behind the trailing edge and close the door.
Yes, I have damaged many fingers over the years, but the manufacturers of those cars didn’t go out of their way to make cars safe. That Tesla was paying attention and has a fix in the works already is a great thing. I wish they had a similar solution for the rearview mirror :)

Cboy7

First Name
Cboy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
You want the frunk to be able to close when luggage is in the way.. it does need a bit of force to do that... now any little thing will make it reverse.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You want the frunk to be able to close when luggage is in the way.. it does need a bit of force to do that... now any little thing will make it reverse.
That's when you manually override it. At the point it pulls the latch, there shouldn't be space for fingers.

-Crissa

Snlass

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model x
Country flag
No more natural selection! Stupid people that do stupid things survive unscathed due to all the over protective measures that are put in place to protect us from ourselves. Sad that there is no more personal accountability or consequernces for your actrions. Everything is now always someone else's fault.

Snlass

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model x
Country flag
Funny that no one worries about, checks or videos what wouod happen to hands & fingers if caught in an F-150 Lightining or ICE style hood coming down which weigh probably 3 or 4 times as much?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Funny that no one worries about, checks or videos what wouod happen to hands & fingers if caught in an F-150 Lightining or ICE style hood coming down which weigh probably 3 or 4 times as much?
People did tests, and it passed them, although it was probably more popular to spread the Tesla failures. Not all the trucks failed the tests.

🤷🏼‍♀️

-Crissa

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No more natural selection! Stupid people that do stupid things survive unscathed due to all the over protective measures that are put in place to protect us from ourselves. Sad that there is no more personal accountability or consequernces for your actrions. Everything is now always someone else's fault.
You hurt my feelings, your fault! :cool:

peebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
This is why I never understood the advocacy for powered frunks/trunks. Tuning it for safety will always sacrifice usability either in speed of opening/closing or ability to close on overpacked gear. I'd much rather have a soft open and the ability to simply and quickly slam it shut. Less expensive, works better, less things to break.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Less expensive, works better, less things to break.
Less expensive, but... No, not less things to break. Powered parts always run inside predictable force curves. While manually operated ones do not. So the latter is exposed to more forces and is more likely to break.

-Crissa

peebs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Less expensive, but... No, not less things to break. Powered parts always run inside predictable force curves. While manually operated ones do not. So the latter is exposed to more forces and is more likely to break.

-Crissa
Yeah totally, all those doors on cars always just fall off because they are manually operated.

Tailgate works perfectly, frunk already has many complaints and software update over this.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This is why I never understood the advocacy for powered frunks/trunks. Tuning it for safety will always sacrifice usability either in speed of opening/closing or ability to close on overpacked gear. I'd much rather have a soft open and the ability to simply and quickly slam it shut. Less expensive, works better, less things to break.
And how many people slammed doors shut and just then child put finger in opening.

Anytime more than one person is involved there is possibility of these types accidents.
Hopefully we can have fewer injuries.

There are documented cases where even professional trained airline pilots still get into situation where they both trying to control the plane at the same time.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Yes, I have damaged many fingers over the years, but the manufacturers of those cars didn’t go out of their way to make cars safe. That Tesla was paying attention and has a fix in the works already is a great thing. I wish they had a similar solution for the rearview mirror :)
Legacy offers 'Seat Delete' for example.....should Tesla offer 'Mirror Delete' that would be part of the Delivery Team's service, that currently includes FSD install before road test and final handover! On 'Reflection' as a saving per vehicle, why not offer the 'Mirror Install Option' or MIO to customers upon final drive-away!

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I am sure Tesla will make it better may be by extending the sensors close to that area and making the hood more sensitive to resistance. At the same time no matter what tesla do to improve it will be up to the user to be careful and not play around showing off by putting their hands or legs under the hood. Youtubers look for content making because it is a cash cow. Some youtubers became famous posting Tesla contents and now are bought and sold by competitors to make negative Tesla contents and praise the competitors. Shame on them.
Sponsored