JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Since tesla decided to lower FSD subscription to $99/month does it make sense to spend $12K for FSD with the purchase of foundation series. It will take 10 years plus to break even. How many of us are going to keep the cybertruck for that long when the technology and battery size will change and the truck quality will be way better. Since tesla does not allow anyone to transfer the FSD to a new vehicle then we are stuck with big bill $12k that is not worth that now (not in the future because we do not know).
Tesla needs to adjust the price or throw more accessories. I am talking about the customers that has not received the truck and placed the order yet.

I am asking the question to see how everyone feels and not attacking tesla. Tesla has to do what is better for the company however us customers have to raise the question because now some people are benefiting and not us cybertruck to be owners.

Tesla kept the $12K because the take rate is low and will be low with the $99/month or they may lower the price if enough people raise the issue. I am a share holder but would like customers need to be treated fairly by Tesla.

Please let me know???? Is it worth it knowing that the FSD is going to be solved?? Is FSD worth $12K even when it is solved and become level 4??

The Guru guys do the math and let us know??
Sponsored

CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
I actually think selling something which appears to be a finished product (no matter what you call it) which is not complete, and putting it in hands of ā€˜non professionalsā€™ is actually worse..

Iā€™ve experienced itā€¦ itā€™s not done, and has some serious faults which can cause big oopsiesā€¦

but just add some fine print and blame the ā€˜customerā€™ whom of which you rely onā€¦ no worries

CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
Another way to think aboutā€¦ you need it to fail or order to fix it..

but fail to what extent?

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
After I posted the thread, tesla removed the $12K option from its website. Now the question is Tesla killing the option to buy FSD at $12K and just allow customers to buy the subscription only. Elon stated before possibly many times that tesla may not sell outright the software for anyone to own and will become subscription only especially when the value in his opinion of FSD will be way higher than the $10 K at the time. We have to wait and see what tesla will be doing.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Still overpriced. $50 makes more sense.
Fair enough .... NETFLIX and other such are costly imo. ( for what we can do without )
NHTSA have stated that systems like FSD make driving on the highway many times safer than without.
$99 might just be the psychological 'sweet spot' and when we look back on this time in ten years, it might just be true!?!? This could simply be gobbledygook......

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
Robotaxi is not happening with this generation of cars. And maybe even the next generation. We canā€™t even take our hands off the steering wheel on regular autopilot yet!

Coagulation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
After I posted the thread, tesla removed the $12K option from its website. Now the question is Tesla killing the option to buy FSD at $12K and just allow customers to buy the subscription only. Elon stated before possibly many times that tesla may not sell outright the software for anyone to own and will become subscription only especially when the value in his opinion of FSD will be way higher than the $10 K at the time. We have to wait and see what tesla will be doing.
the $12k is still there if you go to configure a carā€¦ model X for example:

https://www.tesla.com/modelx/design#overview

And of course is baked into the FS cybertruck without option to remove it and do the subscription instead.

as I said before, if they tied the upfront purchase to a person and allowed X transfer with it over Y years, it could be worth it. Otherwise, it just doesnā€™t make sense

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
the $12k is still there if you go to configure a carā€¦ model X for example:

https://www.tesla.com/modelx/design#overview

And of course is baked into the FS cybertruck without option to remove it and do the subscription instead.

as I said before, if they tied the upfront purchase to a person and allowed X transfer with it over Y years, it could be worth it. Otherwise, it just doesnā€™t make sense
May have been temporarily down because DennisCW youtuber has not seen it and stated may have been removed.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yeah, so that makes the current rental price merely equal to buying it outright.

You really think it'll stay that price for ten years?

-Crissa
I think FSD should be a 10 year fully transferable license, paying upfront should only cost $10k. While TSLA raises the price of the monthly rate gradually and then big time with level 4. That would be incentive to drop the $10k. From A shareholder view anyway.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This is probably just temporarily to get more sign-ups as beta testers. They need more data to train AI. It's not reasonable to keep giving out 1 month of free trials. As of now, no one should purchase FSD outright. $99/month is a better deal and protect you from the risk of losing FSD in an accident if you paid upfront.
I enjoyed playing with my free month. Not going to buy, but if I did a long road trip I might pay to see how much it improves in a couple months.

Good revenue move.

sharpgator

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan, M3
Country flag
Extended Autopilot is the sweet spot for me. FSD is not for me at this point in time

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
In other words, when it becomes autonomous, you won't be able to rent it for anywhere near $100-$200/mo. I get it that you think it won't become autonomous anytime soon, but it appears Tesla has finally cracked the code and finally has enough compute to keep reiterating the kind of improvements we have recently seen. So, you and I differ on that point and our disagreement on whether renting or buying offers the most value, renting or buying, stem from that.

Tesla's pricing disconnect between renting and buying supports my view and discredits your view.
Your POV is from FOMO.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Your POV is from FOMO.
Are you saying once Tesla has real autonomous vehicles, FSD will still be available without paying what most people will consider shockingly high prices?

I don't see anyone else close to developing what Tesla is on the cusp of.
Sponsored