Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, BMW R1200R
Occupation
Gymja Warrior
Country flag
I'm sorry, it's a great concept drawing, and I can't picture a better way to have a "proper" roof rack, but it's not pretty. IMHO. Perhaps instead of the solid sides corner posts would give easier access to the bed.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This made me think, either Tesla or their supplier should make triangular sticks of their SS. Maybe with an inside profile of 3" x .75". They could sell it to aftermarket companies.
Here are some graphics to show my idea of triangular SS roof racks.
Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept tritubin
Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept cybertrucksiderack
Tesla Cybertruck Full Length Roof-Bed Cargo Rack Concept frontquarterack

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
This roof rack provides so much coverage that it may work much better when doubled as a camper shell by adding solid sides all around and a glass rear window in the back of the shell. Now, you have a large roof rack on the top and a camper shell under to further maximize the interior space of the vault!! This would make a killer camper if Elon decides to create a pass through mid-gate of some sorts so one can access the cab easily...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Oh, I didn't see this thread before. Nice! I don't know about the panels but I'll need some sort of rack to carry this sort of load:

Yes, those are 10' poles atop my Mazda. (The car fit inside the tent structure intentionally, parallel to the yellow wall.)

-Crissa

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oh, I didn't see this thread before. Nice! I don't know about the panels but I'll need some sort of rack to carry this sort of load:

Yes, those are 10' poles atop my Mazda. (The car fit inside the tent structure intentionally, parallel to the yellow wall.)

-Crissa
How did that structure hold up when the winds come up? I would think it could get pretty wild with wind over 20mph. I've actually flown a dome tent as a kite before. Of course the wind was gusting to 50.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It survived over 50mph constant wind for eighteen hours, though it did take a little damage.

We had opted for only tension and counter tension to hold it together and that mostly worked, but it slid around a little. Having the bottom edges firmly tied to the flat surface of the playa is key to the design, not allowing a single-point failure to destroy it.

the vaulted ceiling was over 10' high and the arches were 27' across. The car was only in there so we could use the battery and storage, but it also served as a cool thermal mass during the peak heat. I was able to keep fresh fruit and tomatoes the entire seven days without using any ice or refrigeration ^-^

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It survived over 50mph constant wind for eighteen hours, though it did take a little damage.

We had opted for only tension and counter tension to hold it together and that mostly worked, but it slid around a little. Having the bottom edges firmly tied to the flat surface of the playa is key to the design, not allowing a single-point failure to destroy it.

the vaulted ceiling was over 10' high and the arches were 27' across. The car was only in there so we could use the battery and storage, but it also served as a cool thermal mass during the peak heat. I was able to keep fresh fruit and tomatoes the entire seven days without using any ice or refrigeration ^-^

-Crissa
When you get cybertruck you will have an air compressor and can put up an airbeam tent! Plus you can run AC as long as the hot side is outside. Ohhh the possibilities. And if people get their wish the frunk will be a refrigerator.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stick the solar receiving tail south and the frunk in the tent to the north and not have to worry about a gas cap filling with dust.

Oh, the camping possibilities ^-^. Great dream to have in this year we shouldn't go anywhere. Pandemic weather sucks.

-Crissa

PS, the photo of the tent is after the long windstorm. You can see the sag in the tan-colored sun-shade on the far side and my hasty tape repair to the yellow panel where the anchors has pulled through. That reminds me I need to sew that seam still...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
This made me think, either Tesla or their supplier should make triangular sticks of their SS. Maybe with an inside profile of 3" x .75". They could sell it to aftermarket companies.
Maybe I'll cut up the plate I was testing and try some different ratios. Those measurements seem pretty cool. But the 3MM might be too thick. Hopefully my schools metal/welding shop is going to open back up

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe I'll cut up the plate I was testing and try some different ratios. Those measurements seem pretty cool. But the 3MM might be too thick. Hopefully my schools metal/welding shop is going to open back up
That would be awesome. The 2 short sides should be about 1 11/16". That's some hard stuff to cut though. I would think 3mm would help with the strength of the vertical supports of the rack. Imagine throwing lumber on it. This rack would possibly have to support a tent with people in it also. What would be really cool, would be if they could score and bend those as one piece with a weld on the outside.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would be awesome. The 2 short sides should be about 1 11/16". That's some hard stuff to cut though. I would think 3mm would help with the strength of the vertical supports of the rack. Imagine throwing lumber on it. This rack would possibly have to support a tent with people in it also. What would be really cool, would be if they could score and bend those as one piece with a weld on the outside.
The obtuse angle could be bent, the acute ones; I can almost guarantee it will crack, even scored. if the shop opens and they let me use it, ill send u a piece, if you want.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The obtuse angle could be bent, the acute ones; I can almost guarantee it will crack, even scored. if the shop opens and they let me use it, ill send u a piece, if you want.
I agree, I was only thinking of the obtuse angle being scored and bent. That's a really nice offer to send me a piece. However, I really don't see myself actually building anything. It's just me playing with ideas of what COULD be done. I saw those other drawings with black, round, steel tubing and didn't think it went very well with the design concept of the Cybertruck. So then I came up with the "what if" idea. What if Tesla could supply triangular tubing to aftermarket companies, that would work with their Cybertruck design. Also I thought in addition to following the visual concept of triangular shape, it would have good strength and aerodynamic qualities.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree, I was only thinking of the obtuse angle being scored and bent. That's a really nice offer to send me a piece. However, I really don't see myself actually building anything. It's just me playing with ideas of what COULD be done. I saw those other drawings with black, round, steel tubing and didn't think it went very well with the design concept of the Cybertruck. So then I came up with the "what if" idea. What if Tesla could supply triangular tubing to aftermarket companies, that would work with their Cybertruck design. Also I thought in addition to following the visual concept of triangular shape, it would have good strength and aerodynamic qualities.
well im my defense and to be more precise, I came up with the triangle tube.
and you expanded on it.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
well im my defense and to be more precise, I came up with the triangle tube.
and you expanded on it.
Hahaha, I had to go back to post #30 to refresh my Oldtimers memory. You are correct!!!
Sponsored