Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I hope they make the rolling bed cover go all the way under the floor. Or have it be an option. Then make the entire rear window and wall lay flat. SUV/Truck.
Yes, that's probably the most requested option on here. GM did that years ago with the Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade. Here's a video:

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Great graphics and workable design except (in my opinion): the front and rear transverse members need to be omitted so as to facilitate the rack being used for long lengths of pipe, lumber, and ladders. Also, with that enclosed rear piece, there is no way to access the top. You'd need a ladder just to clamber up there. Also, the front support on each side should be directly above the B pillar, thus transferring the weight straight down through the pillar. What Tesla should do is this: Tesla should provide above the B pillar and at the rear on each side, an integrated female, threaded fitting (with a cap to keep out the rain for those who don't need a rack.). Tesla would sell four stainless steel, vertical members threaded to screw down into the stainless female fittings. These factory-integrated pieces from the factory make sure it all fits perfectly. Horizontal members with the correct fittings would come from the factory also. With these pipes and integrated fittings, an owner could have the best of both worlds. Help me out....are my thoughts accurate?
I have a rack with a swing away rear cross bar. I like your thought process, and I am glad someone posed a rack concept. I don't like all the "fancy" stuff that weighs the truck down, blocks air flow, and makes it near impossible to access the vault. However, a rack concept that would allow me to carry 20 foot long material?! Good idea!

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I was thinking of a version of this that acts as a tent wall, when camped the whole apparatus flips vertically and a popup tent unfolds with it. Take my hinged idea to make your vault closable. Unhook from upper corner rack mounts, and everything should hinge out over the tailgate instead. Have it sit on rubber wedges on the back of the rack to make almost a 65°.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I have a rack with a swing away rear cross bar. I like your thought process, and I am glad someone posed a rack concept. I don't like all the "fancy" stuff that weighs the truck down, blocks air flow, and makes it near impossible to access the vault. However, a rack concept that would allow me to carry 20 foot long material?! Good idea!
Do not underestimate that 16” ground clearance CT provides. You can sling 23lf material under the truck like 2x, rebar and pipe without hazard to truck, traffic or pedestrian.

Common accepted jobsite practice journeymen employ to carry bulk materials.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Do not underestimate that 16” ground clearance CT provides. You can sling 23lf material under the truck like 2x, rebar and pipe without hazard to truck, traffic or pedestrian.

Common accepted jobsite practice journeymen employ to carry bulk materials.
Um, no. I would NEVER carry any material under my suspension. I may drag materials at a slow speed, but sling materials under my vehicle, even the flat surface of a Tesla, still exposes my assets (building materials) to road debris, small animals unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, water, salts, oils, etc. This doesn't even touch the issues of suspension travel, exhaust temperatures, rotating drive lines, and leaks (inevitable leaks) on an I.C.E vehicle. I would fire any contractor that employed this kind of technique on any of my job sites.

Trucky

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma until delivery
Occupation
Chief Investment Officer
Country flag
Sweet Yota dude! what year?! My first truck was an 85 4wd
I had an 85 also. Got a tacoma in 2015 knowing it would be the last IC truck purchase… thankfully the tacoma is still worth almost what I paid…

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
For those needing a full roof rack, would you be interested in a deployable roof rack that stows with slim profile or in the bed’s vault?

if so, how much weight would you want to max hold reliably?

Button push conversion.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Interesting roof rack concept to take advantage of the entire top of the Cybertruck.

Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_002.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_001.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_006.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_007.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_011.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_005.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_003.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_Tesla_Cybertruck_OffRoad_004.jpg
Roof_Bed_Cargo_Rack_.jpg
That thing is an atrocity. It has pretensions of roaming far and wide but what it really does is limit your range and increase charge times. And it's uglier than sin, mostly because it's like putting training wheels on a race bike.

The Cybertruck is meant to be big enough to hold your entire travel kit inside the cabin, vault and frunk. If you have more stuff than that on your adventure you probably bought the wrong rig. More stuff just gets in your way, weighs you down, slows you down and costs you money. Life is meant to be lived, not to strut around like a peacock saying, "look at me, I'm badass".

What's that? Dualies? Absolutly idiotic! The Cybertruck has a 3500# payload capacity without dualies.

This is proof that people don't know what they are doing or what they want.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That thing is an atrocity. It has pretensions of roaming far and wide but what it really does is limit your range and increase charge times. And it's uglier than sin, mostly because it's like putting training wheels on a race bike.

The Cybertruck is meant to be big enough to hold your entire travel kit inside the cabin, vault and frunk. If you have more stuff than that on your adventure you probably bought the wrong rig. More stuff just gets in your way, weighs you down, slows you down and costs you money. Life is meant to be lived, not to strut around like a peacock saying, "look at me, I'm badass".

What's that? Dualies? Absolutly idiotic! The Cybertruck has a 3500# payload capacity without dualies.

This is proof that people don't know what they are doing or what they want.
Respect for other peoples opinions aside, you really shouldn't be judging. I am dumbfounded that someone the fan of the Cybertruck is acting like this about something that someone designed and something that i'm sure there are a handful of people will want. There are still people who say the exact same thing about the Cybertruck itself, but that doesn't matter because it's just a matter of perspective.

Do I want that product on my Cybertruck, no, but i'm not going to question someone who gets it and say it looks stupid and that the Cybertruck doesn't need it.

Also lets just explore a couple things. for one, yes a Cybertruck will hold an entire travel kit without the need for this, but some people have needs other than a travel kit. Right off the bat I know that there are a lot of airlines, including the one I work for, that have a pretty similar set up to this rig for their maintenance fleet at airports. When you are driving around with tall compressed gas tanks for filling up aircraft tires, along with pretty much all the tools they need to repair minor problems while the plane is at the gate, that vertical space is very nice. The roof of their trucks also have a platform that even extends flat out a few feet infront of the window so they can drive up beside an aircraft engine and add oil.

That's just one work truck example. I've seen multiple set ups like this one in my life. If a business has a Cybertruck, or a personal truck and they use it for their work, something like this can be very useful. It's not like work vans are always completely full but they are well organized. If that design can allow someone to organize their work stuff around the perimeter of the bed, than they can keep the majority of the space in the middle to actually load heavier items they may need inside.

As for dualies, sure they might not serve a purpose for utility. I can think of a lot of trucks I've seen that has unnecessary things that aren't going to actually benefit the truck. I helped raise my friends truck up more than once for no other reason that he likes to be higher up than traffic. He doesn't need it, his truck was already high enough to see over traffic, he just likes having a really tall truck, and that's fine.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Respect for other peoples opinions aside, you really shouldn't be judging. I am dumbfounded that someone the fan of the Cybertruck is acting like this about something that someone designed and something that i'm sure there are a handful of people will want. There are still people who say the exact same thing about the Cybertruck itself, but that doesn't matter because it's just a matter of perspective.

Do I want that product on my Cybertruck, no, but i'm not going to question someone who gets it and say it looks stupid and that the Cybertruck doesn't need it.

Also lets just explore a couple things. for one, yes a Cybertruck will hold an entire travel kit without the need for this, but some people have needs other than a travel kit. Right off the bat I know that there are a lot of airlines, including the one I work for, that have a pretty similar set up to this rig for their maintenance fleet at airports. When you are driving around with tall compressed gas tanks for filling up aircraft tires, along with pretty much all the tools they need to repair minor problems while the plane is at the gate, that vertical space is very nice. The roof of their trucks also have a platform that even extends flat out a few feet infront of the window so they can drive up beside an aircraft engine and add oil.

That's just one work truck example. I've seen multiple set ups like this one in my life. If a business has a Cybertruck, or a personal truck and they use it for their work, something like this can be very useful. It's not like work vans are always completely full but they are well organized. If that design can allow someone to organize their work stuff around the perimeter of the bed, than they can keep the majority of the space in the middle to actually load heavier items they may need inside.
I totally agree. If it's for a local service truck it could make good sense. But not as an adventure/travel rig, just stupid. I think people don't understand how important aero is if you're going to be cruising on the highway. And how that impacts charge time and range and the cost of charging on your adventure. And whether a campgrounds 30 amp or 50 amp outlet is going to give you enough of a charge to be worth the wait in a remote area, away from the Supercharger network.

As for dualies, sure they might not serve a purpose for utility. I can think of a lot of trucks I've seen that has unnecessary things that aren't going to actually benefit the truck. I helped raise my friends truck up more than once for no other reason that he likes to be higher up than traffic. He doesn't need it, his truck was already high enough to see over traffic, he just likes having a really tall truck, and that's fine.
He might think it's fine for him to be jacked up to the point that he's endangering himself, his passengers and, indeed, everyone who might happen to be on the road with him. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with him or like it. Because it's a well known fact that lift kits increase roll-over risk during evasive maneuvers rather dramatically. Even a skilled driver trying to avoid rollover in an avoidance maneuver sacrifices maneuverability for avoiding the roll-over. It also increases the toxic gases emitted into the air I breathe. And you have already admitted it serves no good purpose. So I'm within reason and within my rights to voice my opinion that I think it's idiotic.

Fortunately it's still legal to mod your truck just as it is to voice an opinion. It would be a sad day indeed if one could modify their truck to their hearts content while I would be breaking the law or showing poor judgement by voicing my opinion that I think it's idiotic.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you convert to a dually, you need two spare tires… that’s right, I said the taboo words, spare tires.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
He might think it's fine for him to be jacked up to the point that he's endangering himself, his passengers and, indeed, everyone who might happen to be on the road with him. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with him or like it. Because it's a well known fact that lift kits increase roll-over risk during evasive maneuvers rather dramatically. Even a skilled driver trying to avoid rollover in an avoidance maneuver sacrifices maneuverability for avoiding the roll-over. It also increases the toxic gases emitted into the air I breathe. And you have already admitted it serves no good purpose. So I'm within reason and within my rights to voice my opinion that I think it's idiotic.
Roll over is all about the center of gravity. Teslas have a low center of gravity and that's why it's so fun to watch them try to roll over the model X during testing. I guess we could just make it illegal to raise the center of gravity. Lift kits can be illegal, using tires above a certain size can be illegal, we can definitely make it illegal to carry a canoe on roof racks unless it's aluminium since other canoes are very heavy, those people should just buy a vehicle with a hitch and trailer.

However I don't see how dualies are going to raise the center of gravity, I believe they would lower it since it's literally just putting more weight on the lowest part of the vehicle. You don't need to put a lift kit on to have dualies. Also dualies increase the surface contact with the ground by 50%, so I don't see why they have a higher risk of roll overs in your eyes.

Now if we look at toxic gases. Are you talking just about the fact the process to make those extra tires that someone doesn't need? if so then you are absolutely right. I could also spend the entire night typing and I probably wouldn't even get through half a list of generic products that aren't necessary and would just be cosmetic for vehicles and countless other things that cause pollution. Even just talking about tires, we could look at race cars that go through multiple sets per race, people who just like to go on roadtrips and could use up two sets of tires in the same time as someone with dualies would use up one set with moderate driving.

Now I will point out one actual increased risk with dualies that you didn't point out and that is severe rain conditions. Hydroplaning has a higher chance with more tires and more contact with the road because the surface area that water can get under, especially when it's tires filled with air, is much higher. But at the same time, just because it increases the risk, doesn't mean it'll be higher than a lot of other vehicles. If you get a really lightweight car, you have to be very careful on roads that have a lot of water on them, probbaly moreso than any large heavy truck with dualies.

Fortunately it's still legal to mod your truck just as it is to voice an opinion. It would be a sad day indeed if one could modify their truck to their hearts content while I would be breaking the law or showing poor judgement by voicing my opinion that I think it's idiotic.
You just said that it's fortunate that it's legal to mod your truck while explaining why you think that this design is a danger to the driver and everyone else around them.

Now I love freedom of speech and I will never tell someone that they aren't entitled to their opinion. I also love picking apart someones argument and see how they try to defend themselves. Also freedom of speech makes it legal to say what you want, doesn't make it any less rude to completely trash on someones design because you don't like the design of it. It's completely possible to be constructive about it.

My best friend since childhood came to me years ago with a business idea. He put a lot of work into it, it was something he had spent a lot of time researching, but I thought it was a terrible Idea. I didn't call his idea idiotic, I went over ever detail of his business plan to explain to him what I thought was wrong, I let him see it from another perspective, so he could decide for himself that it was idiotic.

What is trashing on someones idea going to solve? people post on her to look for ideas or they post on here to show designs that they found and might purchase in the future. If it's someone is actually planning to build something for the market in the future, the more constructive we are, the better products we will have to choose from.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Lifted vehicles could also just be more expensive to register; incur more liability, etc. There's a big breadth of levels between 'allow fully' and 'illegal'.

-Crissa
Sponsored